I'm building a guitar: I got the idea after finding an old Strat neck in my grandparents' basement. If it matters, it's a kind of SG-like design, double-cutaway pointy horns, but a bit more symmetrical, and the curves are different.

Anyways.

-I sanded down the neck to take off the old finish to custom paint some stuff. Is regular spray-on satin wood lacquer okay to refinish? (Yes, I prefer satin necks over glossy ones, I find them easier to slide my hands along)
-The local hardware store has mahogany planks, 14" wide by 1" thick and 48" long: What kind of glue would be best for holding two pieces together, to make it 2" thick?
-I've found nearly everything I need (save from pickups) on www.stewmac.com ...Is it a reliable company?
-I'm making one with two pickups, one volume/one tone... Is this diagram accurate for the wiring? http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/LP_juni...
- For the control cavity, does it need to be shielded? Is it necessary, or just preferred?

OR) I found an old table-top in our basement for the wood... I can't tell what kind of wood it is, but it's hardwood of some sort. It's 1 1/2 inches thick... Is that thick enough?

Yes, it's my first guitar I've built, and I'm prepared to spend hours and hours and hours working on it

Any other tips or pointers would be appreciated, too

Thanks much!
Last edited by Coolcat13 at Sep 26, 2008,
Hi,

The laquer should be fine provided you sand enough, and do a good finish in general.

Hide glue is the ideal, but carpenters glue works fine (used it many times, just fine results).

Stewmac is a very good place, had many happy transactions there. This wiring diagram should work just fine for this setup. Shielding is a good idea, but not 100% needed. Since your going with humbuckers I wouldn't worrie about it too much, unless you want to.

1 1/2" is the same thickness as an SG, fenders are 1 3/4". The table top should work without a problem, providing its not a laminate.

Cheers, hope your building experience goes well
Was it actually a proper strat neck? A fender one? If so, what year?

And stewmac are probably the most well known guitar parts place.

That thickness of wood should be fine. If you wan't you could put a top on it to increase the thickness. Perhaps some maple? If you take some pics of the wood, then someone may be able to identify it.

And I recommend the melvyn hiscock book "Make your own electric guitar"
Thanks a lot, nightwolfsden, you helped quite a bit
And yes, it's a Made In Japan strat neck, sometime from the late '80s
And I already have a book that has building stuff
Satin lacquers fine

You want titebond original (the red one) for glueing together bits of wood, it will become your friend.

Stewmacs great, but a drain on your wallet.

Cavities need to be sheilded for all passive pickup circuits.

Try and find out what wood the table is before you go chopping it up, and it might not be dry enough, or flat enough etc, and be wary that you may have to take what even finish it has off of it to take it down to the bare wood, and thats going to being the thickness down, so you might wanner think about adding a top if you use that wood.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
coolcat... you can get the same parts you need at places other than stewmac much cheaper. PM me and I can get you discounts from the stores listen in my signature

I call them screwmac because they're not shy about boning people on pricing... especially their specialty tooling which a lot of it can be made with simple harbor freight tools and 15 minutes of elbow grease . Granted, their customer service is great and they published one of my comments on their site... they're still overpriced though.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology

I call them screwmac because they're not shy about boning people on pricing... especially their specialty tooling which a lot of it can be made with simple harbor freight tools and 15 minutes of elbow grease . Granted, their customer service is great and they published one of my comments on their site... they're still overpriced though.

this dude is right but if you do decide to go with them you can rest easy as they do do good stuff
I used to deal with screwmac exclusively but got tired of the stewmac screw so I chose alternate routes. Guitarjonesusa.com was good but this last order i've been getting dicked around so I don't think i'll EVER order from them again unless I need 7 string parts... they're the only source i can find. I'm using allparts, guitarpartsusa and mojomusicalsupply right now and as I said, i'm an authorized dealer and can discount most of the prices advertised on their site

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^ what 7 string parts does guitarjones have? I cant find any?

Can you get ANYTHING listed on allparts.com etc at discounted prices?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
'm using allparts, guitarpartsusa and mojomusicalsupply right now and as I said, i'm an authorized dealer and can discount most of the prices advertised on their site

howd you get taht hookup?
and do we have to like use a code so you can get commision or how do we do it?
I got it because I have a registered business license and a tax ID number to buy and sell guitars, pickups and guitar parts. You have to place the order through me. Send me a PM with the website, part number and quantity and your email address and I'll send you an invoice. I'm in the middle of getting my website posted (if the host ever sends me my damn access information) and once I get that up, i'll try to make it more streamlined.

Absent, from what I know I can get ANYTHING from allparts but guitarpartsusa does not allow necks, bodies and kits and mojomusicalsupply.com doesn't discount greenbacks - although vintage 30's are discountable... strange...

oh, and guitajones has 7 string pickup bobbins, baseplates, etc.