I try to position my finger so that none of the strings would be where the creases on my finger are, but no matter where I move it, there's always going to be a string there.

I need help building finger strength, any ideas?
do a bar chord on every fret for a warm up before you play after awhile you will build strength it just takes practice
roll your finger so your fretting with the side of your finger. And Position your thumb under your first finger thats what my guitar teacher told me when i was learning them
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
just do it
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Practice. I trained up my finger strength by using Medium guage strings. I've now switched to Lights and I can play them perfectly fine.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I found that barr chords are easier to make in the middle of the neck like on the 5th -7th frets. Practice them there and then move them up and down the neck.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by Rocketface2112
roll your finger so your fretting with the side of your finger. And Position your thumb under your first finger thats what my guitar teacher told me when i was learning them

This.

I'm still having trouble with barre chords after a year, but I haven't practiced them like I should have. I can fret them and play them, but it takes me longer than a regular open chord.

So the moral of the story is DON'T BE LIKE ME! PRACTICE THEM LIKE A RELIGION!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Yea just keep practicing. I still can't change into barre chords fast enough to play a song with them. But it does improve with practice. I used to take like 10 seconds, now i just need like 1-2seconds. Obviously still kinda slow, but as long as I have improved =P. But yea just keep pressing and adjusting, it will come sooner or later.
yeah everything everyone said is pretty good advice unfortunately bar chords is where alot of new guitarist get stuck, basically all I can say is just keep practising alot of nirvana stuff from nevermind and greenday from the dookie album is really good for bar chords When I was learning bar chords thats what i started learning basically stuff like teen spirit or basket case are pretty good songs to help you,
also I know it sounds basic but remember to pluck all the strings individually to mke sure they are all ringing anyway don't give up here like alot of guitarists do,

oh another thing, it might be a bit advanced but check out hendrix cause he plays his bar chords in the E Shape with his thumb looped over on the low E String, if you hands are big enough then it might be worth having a go this way
I can only add one more point to everything thats already been said.

Have the 'action' checked on your guitar. The first song I wanted to learn was House of the Rising Sun. Of course there's an F chord in it ... (Am C D F). I tried and tried just to do the cheater F chord barring just two string and couldn't do it. I took my guitar into a luthier for another reason and he said "Your action is extremely high near the headstock, do you want me to lower it?" After he finished, of course the first song I tried was HotRS. I nailed the cheater F chord!! All that time I wasted, getting frustrated!

Theres my recommendation ... hope it helps! Just goes to show you what a professional setup will do for you!

Steve

Baltimore Guitarist Group
http://guitarist.meetup.com/168
Quote by killabean
What does action mean?

It refers to the height of the strings from the frets.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by Alice-Gardenia
Masturbate.
It helps with ALOT!

Ok, I just bought a stress ball to build finger strength with.
I thought action was what you are getting when you don't have to do what Alice suggested!!!
Quote by Alice-Gardenia
Masturbate.
It helps with ALOT!

I'm giving you a verbal warning. Next one's a real one.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Captivate's method of practicing with medium gauge then going to a lighter one is very effective.

But I take it one step further. Once you get relatively used to a certain gauge...switch to a higher one. Hell, I was using barre chords on a Acousic-Bass at Sam Ash today. My fingers were dead after a few chords. But after than I picked up up a medium-light gauged acoustic and it felt like crushing ants. A grip-master is sweet too. It has seperate finger control and not only will you strengthen your barre you can strenthen that weakling pinky. Oh man, it ain't easy doing it with just the pinky. I bought that thing today and have been working the hell out of it. Soon I'll be able to do pushups on it, Bruce Lee-esque.

Yeah. Just keep at it, homeslice!
Quote by Guns N Russians
Captivate's method of practicing with medium gauge then going to a lighter one is very effective.

But I take it one step further. Once you get relatively used to a certain gauge...switch to a higher one. Hell, I was using barre chords on a Acousic-Bass at Sam Ash today. My fingers were dead after a few chords. But after than I picked up up a medium-light gauged acoustic and it felt like crushing ants. A grip-master is sweet too. It has seperate finger control and not only will you strengthen your barre you can strenthen that weakling pinky. Oh man, it ain't easy doing it with just the pinky. I bought that thing today and have been working the hell out of it. Soon I'll be able to do pushups on it, Bruce Lee-esque.

Yeah. Just keep at it, homeslice!

Seriously, you think it's worth to buy a grip master? I just use a stress ball, and if grip master is much better, I might go try it out. But like for my guitar, I haven't changed the strings yet so I don't know if they are heavy, med or light gauge.
I think it is in the long run. You can work out each finger seperately and I think that's very important for building strength and endurance...especially in the fretting hand. The problem with regular grippy things (which I have a set of too) is that since most of the strength on a persons hand is in the pointer and middle fingers (not to mention the whole leverage thing) the ring and pinky get left out. I play a lot of classical which involves stretchy, often uncomfortable and unusual chords and pinky strength is crucial. Plus it's just badass to do a bend with a pinky.

I never really used a stress ball so maybe you can brip it a certain way to work out each finger seperately, but with the gripmaster you can work them all out at once. All for one and one for all. Or something. I got mine for 16 bucks at Sam Ash, which is probably a ripoff but I've been wanting one for a while now and the for piece I'm learning right now (Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata) finger strength is essential.

As far as the strings go, if you've yet to change the strings on a new guitar they're probably med-light. Just tune your high E up a few steps and you'll surely have a reason to change them up! Go for mediums, but if you feel extra bold try med-heavies. It'll be extra hard at first but with enough practice your hand will become that much stronger...and when you switch back to mediums or med-lights you'll be a freakin' marathon man.
I sometimes find the problem is with the positioning of the fingers. Instead of having the thumb up closer to the bridge like an open chord, move your thumb lower where you grip and apply the pressure from your fingers against the thumb in a squeezing position. I should have included a pic, just google it anyway.

Other than this just keep practicing and you'll get there eventually.