15 25%
Go crazy/look like a crack head
16 26%
Stand there and look like a badass
25 41%
Chill on a stool and do yo thang
5 8%
Voters: 61.
I know theres a lot of different ways people like to play; the stand-and-headbang, the go-crazy-and-look-like-im-on-crack (personal favorite), the stand-there-and-just-look-badass, ect. ect.
I was just wondering what most other guys did.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I haven't played live... YET!
But when i do, i'm planning on the "go-crazy-and-look-like-i'm-on-crack" theme.

But i'm also expecting to fall down, which isn't going to be good, seeing as my first show will probably be one of my school talent shows.
O O

___
dude, falling down is never a bad thing...if you do a controlled fall, if you just straight up eat it...it'll just be damn funny. and prolly result in a broken guitar, haha.

Quote by bogg808

it depends on the song, but i ussually act like a crackhead and me and my bands singers cables always get tangled up.
but sometimes i just chill and headbang
or if im infrom of a lady, ill act like a baddass and make sexy faces
:P
Quote by TheBax
I haven't played live... YET!
But when i do, i'm planning on the "go-crazy-and-look-like-i'm-on-crack" theme.

But i'm also expecting to fall down, which isn't going to be good, seeing as my first show will probably be one of my school talent shows.

The first time I played live I wanted to look like that lol, but I just ended up doing the whole "waiting for a bus" playing style. The only time I played crazy was one night I was pissed drunk watching a friend of mines band, when they announced that they wanted to play Master of Puppets but they had a fill-in bassist that night who didn't know how to play it, so I stepped up, and as soon as I figured out how to play a 5-string right-handed bass lefty style I rocked out like a crackhead
I'll never be good enough to play live, but when I'm in my room playing, and on my feet, it's usually just standing, slight headbang. Anything else and I'll mess up what I'm playing. Also, for some reason I can't shred as good as I do sitting down. >.>
Quote by xHellbound
I'll never be good enough to play live, but when I'm in my room playing, and on my feet, it's usually just standing, slight headbang. Anything else and I'll mess up what I'm playing. Also, for some reason I can't shred as good as I do sitting down. >.>
ehh... that's a common problem. Either you're not used to standing up, or your guitar's too low.
Quote by mcraddict81592
dude, falling down is never a bad thing...if you do a controlled fall, if you just straight up eat it...it'll just be damn funny. and prolly result in a broken guitar, haha.
no... i'm pretty sure i'm gonna eat it... hard. I'm not one to get embarassed, though. I always laugh at myself, that's why i'm so prepared for it, Lol.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Sep 26, 2008,
Quote by xHellbound

I've seen loads of bands who were nowhere near ready to play live, but they did anyway and fun was had by all. You can't think like that though, if you get into a band and you enjoy playing in a band, your going to enjoy playing live regardless of how good you sound, and people will ignore skill or accuracy if you play a lively show. The only way to get good at playing live, is to play live
I used to be the "stand-and-headbang" guy, but since I have a wireless now, I'm the one on crack. It usually depends on what part of the song though. If it's the evil doomy part, then it's the stand and look badass section. During the blast-beat circle-pit section of the song, then it's the crackhead. It's all about what you feel like doing.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
People tell me I look like Eric Clapton when I play, so, that's about it. Not moving around too much, but just kind of feeling it, closing your eyes, tilting your head back and playing. So, this poll is prejudice against blues players :p
really crappily, something always goes wrong, from the amp sounding horrible, to us messing up a part.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by berysLTD_h-50
exactly!
but being a crackhead makes the show more fun for the audience

exactly!
O O

___

I haven't played any live shows yet, and like TheBax said, my first will probably be a school talent show.

But I mess around in my room, and I run around and jump and headbang like a crazy man. I try to imitate Tim McTague! I plan on going all out at my school's talent show!
Quote by CrazyDavey
I guarantee that no guy in here would say no if they were offered the chance to have sex with her. This being The Pit... horny virgins galore :]
I go so crazy I **** up alot. But it's all good. The audience doesn't care because they're all dancing.

And when I have a wireless system, I'm doing laps around the room.

Ahh ska music<3
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
the only "live" performance I've ever done is the talent show in freshman year

IMO showmanship gets in my way

stools ftw
anybody have liike a move they do alot?
guitar throws over the shoulder, other shit like that?

Quote by bogg808

I don't really swing my guitar around or anything.(I don't want to get caught by the Jackson headstock haha!) I just kinda stand around until the really heavy parts in the song and commence the death metal headbang.
Go crazy, lift the guitar above my head, get down on my knees, make Bluesman faces, the whole thing Dont actually walk around a lot, because my cord has been known to come loose (and im known to step on it...)
I just kind of.. Stalk around I don't really headbang or have spasms or anything. I just walk around lol
HI
I stand there. I make epic poses, but I stand there. I like a decent amount of accuracy when I play live and standing in one spot in my opinion is the best way to get a good end result for both the music and the showmanship. Sometimes I'll go crazy, think Claudio Sanchez during In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 at the breakdown/chant.

THAT crap is fun.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
I like to go crazy. Depends on what I'm playing though. I like to jump around and stuff, my favourite stage moves are holding my guitar up vertically, putting it behind my head, jumping onto blocks or amps and then back down, playing on my knees, jumping off the stage and running through the audience and back (only when playing through a wireless) or putting one hand in the air while tapping.

It's a lot of fun, just have to pick the right song for it so you don't look like a tool. ^_^