Do different brand strings, same gauge, actually make a difference with the sound of your guitar? Is it only with more expensive Amps/guitars? I was curious because I remember seeing a thread that said D'Addario (the strings I use) were overrated and that DR strings were better.
Quote by CrazyDavey
I guarantee that no guy in here would say no if they were offered the chance to have sex with her. This being The Pit... horny virgins galore :]
Yea, different brand strings have different quality. Obviously there are different string gauges which have different effects, but better string brands will tend to last longer, which is a big plus, and they do tend to sound slightly better as well, but you need a decent amp that'll allow you to hear the smaller changes in your sound better.
Honestly, It's a matter of feel. I can't stand Elixirs of any kind, because they're too slick. I like GHS boomers 11-50.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I used to use elixirs, but their price and the fact that I had to order the stringthickness (13-60) I wanted, made me change to GHS Boomers, and I don't hear a change in my tone. The only thing changed is the feel of the strings, but that's not an overwhelming change. I have a theory that more expensive strings is just a marketing trick to make more money.