I think I've got my entire figured out, and I wanted to post it, for community comments/ suggestions. The sound I'm going for is an Alternative/Punk/Pop Punk sound, similar to Paramore, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, etc. So, here it is.

Guitar:

1. Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ebony, with all black hardware. (Ex. The gold bridge and tailpiece will be black, the tuners will be black, the pickup covers will be black, etc.) Duncan Custom in the Bridge and the Duncan '59 in the neck.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-100176337-i1149998.gc

2. Fender Fat Strat Black with Rosewood Fretboard, with all black hardware. Duncan Custom in the Bridge and the Duncan '59 in the neck.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103814638-i1148871.gc

3. Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Black, with black hardware. I'm also switching out the 250K Pots for 500K Pots, and I'm putting in a new switch. Duncan Custom in the Bridge and the Duncan '59 in the neck.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Classic-Series--72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-102551389-i1146696.gc

4. Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow. Duncan Custom in the Bridge and the Duncan '59 in the neck.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Shadow-Electric-Guitar-512295-i1147699.gc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amps:

1. Mesa Boogie F-30

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/F-Series/F-30/F-30.html

2. Mesa Boogie F-50

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/F-Series/F-50/F-50.html

3. Traynor YCV40

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=93

4. Traynor YCV50BLUE

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=318

5. I'm also considering a combo amp by Orange, but I'm too lazy to post it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedals:

1. Korg Pitchblack

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-pitchblack-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner-104835434-i1386425.gc

2. Boss DS-2 Distortion

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-DS-2-Turbo-Distortion-Pedal-with-Remote-Jack-151371-i1124502.gc

3. EHX Small Clone

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-Small-Clone-Analog-Chorus-Pedal-100925528-i1124708.gc

4. MXR 10-Band EQ

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-M-108-Ten-Band-Graphic-EQ-102163383-i1124444.gc

5. Boss FV500H or Boss FV500L

http://www.jamplay.com/equipment/boss/boss-fv500h-mono-high-impedance-volume-pedal.html

http://www.jamplay.com/equipment/boss/boss-fv500l-stereo-low-impedance-volume-pedal.html

6. Boss DD-20 Giga Delay

And I believe that is all. Please let me know if I missed something. The entire budget for this is about $2,500, though I think I'll have some money left over. I'm not quite sure. But let me know what you think, and if I should change or improve anything. Thanks!
Last edited by Raxef at Sep 30, 2008,
Well, I just wanted to know the community's opinion on what I have chosen, especially the guitars, the chosen pickups, and the effects pedals. I'm pretty sure I'm set on one of those two amp brands, but if anyone else wishes to add anything, feel free to! And sorry if your eyes start to bleed after reading this.

Note: I'm only getting one of the specified amps and guitars, not all of them, haha. So yes, in some way, you are helping me choose.
i pick you listen to better music.
and never ever list paramore, greenday, and my chemical romance ever again on a list of people to sound like.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
and never ever list paramore, greenday, and my chemical romance ever again on a list of people to sound like.

eh, it's whatever, but atleast list it as the right genre.

Emo.

I'd go with the telecaster, the mesa f-50 and all the pedals except the ds-2, ditch that.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by the_white_bunny

I pick you use better grammar

but for real, go with the Stratocaster
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Quote by l3p4rd
eh, it's whatever, but atleast list it as the right genre.

Emo.

I'd go with the telecaster, the mesa f-50 and all the pedals except the ds-2, ditch that.

i remember when green day didnt blow...
94' haha

on a side note
paramore and my chemical romance have always blew.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
I pick you use better grammar

but for real, go with the Stratocaster

i pick you play in the middle of the street.

and stop correcting grammar over the internet.

or.....

I pic u ply in da midel of the streat.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I see that some people have told me to ditch the DS 2. Is there another distortion pedal you recommend?
If you have a little more of a budget, Blackstar makes an AMAZING distortion pedal. Its tube, like 120$.

I'd get the epi, the F50, and the pedals.

Btw, paramare is perfectly fine. Hayley williams can sing well, I dunno about anyone else in the band though...
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Whats with the paramore flaming? Damn... I like the Telecaster and the Epi. Like Said ditch the DS-2, im not sure about a Distortion pedal, but the Digitech whammy pedal is alot of fun.
Quote by JessicaGonzo
Whats with the paramore flaming? Damn... I like the Telecaster and the Epi. Like Said ditch the DS-2, im not sure about a Distortion pedal, but the Digitech whammy pedal is alot of fun.

You have to admit they aren't a lot of peoples cup of tea.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
You have to admit they aren't a lot of peoples cup of tea.

So? Doesn't mean people have to demean other's tastes.

I hate shit like Beneath the Massacre, but I don't go around saying people should stop listening to mechanical jumbled messes that people try to call music.

So let me ask one thing: Are you getting all of these things or just one of each the guit and amp, and then all the pedals?

Because for Pop Punk, I would get something like a DSL, JCM 800, or a Stiletto, and then an SG or LP.
Nononononono.

With 2500$, you get just 1 decent guitar and 1 decent amp and a reverb/delay. Not 4 crappy guitars 3 amps and 100 pedals.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Nononononono.

With 2500$, you get just 1 decent guitar and 1 decent amp and a reverb/delay. Not 4 crappy guitars 3 amps and 100 pedals.

Yeah, I mean, you could afford an American Fender instead of a Mexican one, or a Gibson instead of an Epiphone, for instance.

You don't need that amount of guitars, and amps, unless you're a pro who gigs every night, not a semi pro band gigging every Saturday at a club. Just get a nice amp and guitar, maybe an OD, reverb or a wah and you'll be sorted. Get the pedals and other guitars later on if you need them. You would only really use one guitar half the time, so it would be a waste of money. Not to say you'll have the same pickups in them, so they would all pretty much sound the same aswell. If you choose to get more than one guitar, give yourself a little variety.

EDIT: I read the bit about one guitar!

But really, you can afford better guitars than that, so get one. There would be no point.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Sep 27, 2008,
If I only had 2500.00 I would buy one guitar and one amp and use what's left to to buy a pedal or two used on ebay.
Quote by LP_CL
Nononononono.

+1
pretty nice guitars man, but i dnno wats uup with the black hardware, the epi looks so much nicer in gold

EDIT: the guys above are right, u get 1 awesome guitar 1 awesome amp, and not a million pedals
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
- Don't waste your money changing all the hardware to black. That will end up costing a surprising amount and it's going to make you look like a complete jackass (ahem).
- Four guitars with identical pickups isn't a great move. The Tele and Strat aren't going to sound worlds apart and the MK and Epi are going to sound nigh-on identical. Bit of a waste unless you're 100% sure that the exact tone you want is those pickups with those specific amps. I'd go more for three guitars, with some more variation between them. Perhaps slightly hotter pickups in an LP style guitar, a Tele with much lower output pickups, and a Strat in the middle. Perhaps go for a fourth being a duplicate if there's an alternate tuning you think you'll be using frequently, but in my experience most people settle into using one tuning for everything. Also keep in mind that most of the music by the bands you listed are played nearly exclusively with bridge humbuckers and occasionally with bridge single coils (Paramore and Green Day have both used single coils quite extensively in fact), so I would question your choice of double humbucker pickups in all the guitars.
- Mesa amps are typically high-gain as it is, and that Duncan Custom you're planning on is a fairly high output pickup. I'd be surprised if you had any need for those distortion pedals. Most 'punk' style music gets it's overdrive purely from the amp anyway. Learn to use your volume control properly and you shouldn't need to waste money on excess pedals.
- One good stack amp rig will do you better than those three would.

It looks like you've just listed off whatever reads well without actually paying attention to how it all acts as a whole rig.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by LP_CL
Nononononono.

THIS!!!!!

3 guitars is a ****ing waste.
well, not really, but 3 crappy guitars vs one good guitar??

same with the amps.

do you need a 10-band EQ? I think you dont.

you have $350 or so in pedals.

i would go for something with true bypass and change some pedals, unless you are pretty sure you want those and only those pedals (i doubt it).

what you want is a good amp. for you budget i'd go tube and only get one of the guitars you listed. unless you regularly use different tunings or have unlimited money, one guitar is all what you need. the money you save here could go to a better amp and pedals.

what guitar to buy, thats your decision. except for the single coil/humbucker difference, most of the sound comes from your amp/guitar woods.
quality is also a big issue here. if paying 700 means more quality than paying 450, buy the most expensive one. keep in mind, there are lots of companies other than fender/gibson, that have a lot of different spec'd guitars for a lot of price points.

well, enough, i will let someone else recommend amps,guitars, pedals.

of the pedals you listed, i would get rid of the volume and the 10-band EQ. useful, but not necessary.

edit: zomfg i cant spell
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Last edited by 5th_fret at Sep 27, 2008,
Well. It seems like no one reads the entire message. Like I've said twice previously, I'm only getting ONE guitar and ONE amp. I just need to decide which.
You said you're going to spend $2500.00. If you're buying one guitar and one amp you should be looking at better choices.
Quote by SenorSmiley
You said you're going to spend $2500.00. If you're buying one guitar and one amp you should be looking at better choices.

Yeah, i thought you would buy them all with 2500$ (which would be quite impossible), but still, I agree. These are far from the best choices for 2500$
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
If I only had $2500 I would buy a nice used Fender or Gibson - a nice one not a POS kind and then buy a nice old Fender amp or a used Marshall (again not a POS model) or Soldano
Quote by SenorSmiley
If I only had $2500 I would buy a nice used Fender or Gibson - a nice one not a POS kind and then buy a nice old Fender amp or a used Marshall (again not a POS model) or Soldano

I think you need more than 2500 for that.
You pay AT LEAST 2500 second hand for a soldano SLO only.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Okay, a bit of a revision. So, I, myself, play the aforementioned genres. (alternative.punk/pop punk). However, a band that I'm in also plays heavier stuff, such as muse, three days grace, avenged sevenfold, Motley Crue, etc. So, with that info, can anyone narrow it down?
No offense, I do like all of those bands, but they dont really have a distinct tone. Its all pretty generic. Just get a marshall amp and a guitar with Humbuckers and you will be sweet.
Ditch the DS-2. I have one and its crap.
Ditch the EQ pedal. The music you will be playing won't need it.

Just make sure you have a good delay. Josh from Paramore uses a Boss DD20. Cant go wrong with one of them
Okay, so here's a bit of revision. Note, I am only getting ONE guitar and ONE amp.

For the music genres I have listed,

1. Fender Fat Strat

OR

2. Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster

OR

3. Gibson Les Paul*

* I can't decide between the LP Custom and the LP Classic. Can anyone tell me the difference?
Get something good like a Gibson Standard SG, then an ORange amp, and a really kickass dist pedal. You should be fine, no point in getting 10,000 guitars, 10,000 amps and 10,000 pedals, just get a 1 or 2 really good ones
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

To be honest if you wanna sound like them, they have a horrible tone, just get the mesa amp and the guitar and crank to distortion. Cause all they do is play power chords and ur just wasting your money on all that stuff. And for the guitar get the les paul, you wont need the strat or tele.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets