Ok I've pretty much decided on an epi VJ, what do you think is the best 1x12 cab for it. I've heard mixed reviews about the matching cab. I like the tone of the Eminence V12 Legend in the krank rev jr cab.

I play modern metal btw. I know the epi VJ doesn't sound like the perfect fit, but with the right mods and pedals, i think it's gonna be perfect.

Doesn't seem to be too many 1x12 cabs around, give me some ideas if you got em'.
Thanks!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
i bought a lopoline empty cab and put in an eminence.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The Egnater 1x12 has the same speaker as the orange cab and is 100 dollars cheaper. Just wondering if there's a difference between the cabs as far as how they will handle high gain sounds. I'm new to cabinets, sorry for my noobiness.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
what's your budget? where are you?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'm in the palm springs california area. I'd like to keep the cab under 300. Starting to look at the Laney 15 w tube combo too though. looks pretty nice. Just gotta try all these amps out. Too bad my shop is full of mg's and spiders lol.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Dude, you would be better of just getting a Rev JR.

A Valve Jr doesn't have the voicing for Modern Metal.
Quote by imgooley
Dude, you would be better of just getting a Rev JR.

A Valve Jr doesn't have the voicing for Modern Metal.

I know rev jr is, but the rev jr is really out of my price range.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I'm guessing you have 400 or so to spend on an amp?
Quote by imgooley
I'm guessing you have 400 or so to spend on an amp?

Yea 400 would be perfect, cuz i really wanna get a Carbon Copy and MXR 10 Band EQ.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by imgooley

Looks like a good deal, but it's way too big for me, and if i wanted to spend that much, i might as well spend another 50 bucks and get the rev jr. I'm not gigging yet so i don't need something that big.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
FOR THE LAST TIME, thank you, those look great, but I have nothing to do with a 100 w head. the only thing it would be good for is to resell it at a higher price.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Looks like a good deal, but it's way too big for me, and if i wanted to spend that much, i might as well spend another 50 bucks and get the rev jr. I'm not gigging yet so i don't need something that big.

In all honesty, if you get the Valve JR., even if you play it through a Mesa Recto cab, with a rack EQ, a Zvex Box of Metal, and whatever the hell else you slap on it, it won't give you a modern metal sound.

The only way to get a modern metal sound out of a Valve Jr would be to mod the circuit completely and to add extra gain stages.

If you can wait on the pedals, I'd get the Rev. Jr.

If you can't, I'd get something like a Roland Cube60.

If you want to get a Valve Jr., I suggest that you don't get your hopes up.

This assumes you are going for a modern metal-tight as virgin pussy type response and tone, though.
Quote by imgooley
In all honesty, if you get the Valve JR., even if you play it through a Mesa Recto cab, with a rack EQ, a Zvex Box of Metal, and whatever the hell else you slap on it, it won't give you a modern metal sound.

The only way to get a modern metal sound out of a Valve Jr would be to mod the circuit completely and to add extra gain stages.

If you can wait on the pedals, I'd get the Rev. Jr.

If you can't, I'd get something like a Roland Cube60.

If you want to get a Valve Jr., I suggest that you don't get your hopes up.

This assumes you are going for a modern metal-tight as virgin pussy type response and tone, though.

That is exactly the tone i'm looking for. Thanks for the input, i get what your saying. I think i might have to go with the rev jr. (just saw a half stack mint condition on ebay for 400 bucks) the cube doesn't sound too bad, but modeling amps don't really take pedals too well do they?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Sep 27, 2008,
^It depends. It doesn't have a loop, so it doesn't take modulation or eq's AS well, but it will still take them. Just bypass the onboard effects.

I am not 100% sure about the cube, though. I have a Valvetronix, and it sounds pretty awesome with my OD and Big Muff for Doom/Stoner stuff.
I have crappy solid state now and my wah doesn't sound to awesome on it. I'm really really really want a rev jr. hopefully i can find one used at a good price.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I think I may have missed the part about modern metal before. You need to try the vj with your intended pedal before you buy. I'm getting a pretty good modern metal tone from mine, but i'm using amp modeling through a POD XT Live. That will add about $400 to your price right there. Not sure if you can pull that off with your stated pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I think I may have missed the part about modern metal before. You need to try the vj with your intended pedal before you buy. I'm getting a pretty good modern metal tone from mine, but i'm using amp modeling through a POD XT Live. That will add about $400 to your price right there. Not sure if you can pull that off with your stated pedals.

Yea I'm looking into the Crate V-18's now, leary of the crate name, but hearing good things about em, amazing price too. all tube for 150.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
^I don't get the weariness of the Crate name, honestly.

They're owned by Ampeg, and they make good all tube amps, and have for years.
The weariness comes from my solid state crate that sounds like it's gonna fall apart when i palm mute lol. but i'm really digging this crate v18, my friend has one, he's a really solid player and he says he likes it. hopefully i can find one to try.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
In you're other thread, I basically stated what it's like.

I have a V33H.

Sounds great for what I do. I don't think it would cut it for what you do, honestly. I'm not too deep into the 'modern metal' scene, such as CoB or Necrophagist et. al., but from what I have heard, loose and dark don't seem to be what is wanted.
Quote by imgooley
In you're other thread, I basically stated what it's like.

I have a V33H.

Sounds great for what I do. I don't think it would cut it for what you do, honestly. I'm not too deep into the 'modern metal' scene, such as CoB or Necrophagist et. al., but from what I have heard, loose and dark don't seem to be what is wanted.

Thanks for the info, my crate solid state is really loose and dark but with the metal muff eq'ed properly in the clean channel it tightens up and sounds not half bad for being a piece of crap. Like i said in the other thread I don't think the 600 dollar price difference between the rev jr. is justified since i'm not gigging or doing any serious recording.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra

To me, the toanz are always justified, if you have the dough.
Quote by imgooley

To me, the toanz are always justified, if you have the dough.

If you have the dough yea?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
That's why God made jobs
I have 2 jobs and i could buy one, but i'm a pro golfer playing on some mini tours, and each tournament is around a grand so it's a rev junior or a chance to make some money.

I'm serious with my guitar playing as far as learning and becoming really good. I practice a good 4 hours a day or so. but as far as having the perfect tone right now it's not that important to me.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I heard the egnator rebel does metal pretty good.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
i play my vj thru a celestion g12k. great speaker!!