Ok so my singer is using my band's profile as a political vehicle...

Page 1 of 4
PREPARE FOR A LONG READ!

Because tonight is the presidential debate, my singer has had the brilliant idea to use the band's profile as vehicle to support McCain's presidential compaign, saying:

"Obama sux!!!! We as a band support senator McCain and expose Obama for the lying inexperienced asshole he is"

its a rough description of it...but that's basically what he said. Now I'm an Obama/Ron Paul supporter and the fact that he included me in the bulletin really offended me. So I confronted him about it and I took off the bulletins about it and made a clear statment saying.

"We apologize because we as a band take different sides politically, Eric (me) is an Obama/Ron Paul supporter, and Mike is a McCain supporter"

This is what he had to say when I took off the bulletins...

Please excuse the horrible grammar.

Guitarelephant = Me
MikeyDevestation = Mike

guitarelephant (10:19:36 PM): alright dude, I had to delete the political bulletins
MikeyDevestation (10:19:43 PM): why?
MikeyDevestation (10:19:46 PM): dont do that!!
MikeyDevestation (10:19:59 PM): icaabout what yer saying no offense
MikeyDevestation (10:20:26 PM): but when this band was sstarted by ME and austin its was decided that mccain would be supported
guitarelephant (10:20:28 PM): Because, I dont stand for McCain and you know it, the band is not a McCain vehicle, dont use the band to say that we as a collective group stand for Mccain, I personally hate the ****er
MikeyDevestation (10:20:41 PM): i yer gonna change stuff with out askin im gonna change the password
MikeyDevestation (10:21:18 PM): its not your band and austin might be the new drummer and this badn WILLsupport mccain when it is needed
MikeyDevestation (10:21:26 PM): and tonight is the presidential debate
guitarelephant (10:21:28 PM): Dude, its our duty to support music not politics, you never told me that we as a band were supporting McCain or any politician whatsoever
MikeyDevestation (10:21:44 PM): musiccias hve political views lke it or leave
MikeyDevestation (10:21:46 PM): sorry du
guitarelephant (10:22:33 PM): Well then I'm leaving then, because the BAND AS A COLLECTIVE GROUP, meaning you, austin, me and whoever else decides to join up, are NOT ALL supporting McCain, do it on your own time.
MikeyDevestation (10:22:53 PM): peace then
MikeyDevestation (10:22:55 PM): yer call
MikeyDevestation (10:23:02 PM): suxck it up for one night
MikeyDevestation (10:23:06 PM): just tonight
MikeyDevestation (10:23:19 PM): if tonight wasnt the debate i wouldnt have done it
guitarelephant (10:24:14 PM): No, I have my political views and you need to respect them, dont speak for me unless you have my permission to do so, you need to respect my views, I dont have to suck up to anything
MikeyDevestation (10:24:33 PM): dont **** with my band sight unless u have permission do so
guitarelephant (10:24:40 PM): well you
guitarelephant (10:24:55 PM): you're the one that decided to speak for ALL OF US, last time I checked you didn't own me
MikeyDevestation (10:25:04 PM): all of us??
MikeyDevestation (10:25:27 PM): if anything austin coming back would mean the majority of the band is republican
MikeyDevestation (10:25:46 PM): this could have been avoided if u just asked
MikeyDevestation (10:25:55 PM): its my sight i started this band
guitarelephant (10:26:00 PM): Yes, you said "we as a band, support Senator McCain" That's telling people that everyone in the band is republican, there is no majority vote, at least have the decency to exclude me out of the deal
MikeyDevestation (10:26:07 PM): the majority of the sight is friended by people i knoe personaly
MikeyDevestation (10:26:13 PM): i can do with it what i please
MikeyDevestation (10:26:29 PM): ask if u want something down and ill be nore thna happy to take it down
MikeyDevestation (10:27:26 PM): the password has been changed
MikeyDevestation (10:27:40 PM): if we can come up to an agreement maturly il lgive it to u
guitarelephant (10:28:30 PM): Dont post any of that "as a band" stuff anymore, you know I dont support McCain and as a part of the band, I ask that you dont use the band's page as a political vehicle.
MikeyDevestation (10:29:10 PM): tonight it will be
MikeyDevestation (10:29:15 PM): tomorrow is another day
guitarelephant (10:29:23 PM): Why does it have to be?
MikeyDevestation (10:29:36 PM): cuz its the prsidential dbae tonight
MikeyDevestation (10:29:49 PM): i said ten minutes ago once it was ovver i was gnna take everything off
MikeyDevestation (10:30:14 PM): i delted yer bulletin
MikeyDevestation (10:30:19 PM): deleted*
guitarelephant (10:30:26 PM): well exclude my name out of the McCain deal and put a Ron Paul and Obama banner by my name if you're gonna post that stuff
MikeyDevestation (10:30:43 PM): ron paul doesnt exist any more!!
MikeyDevestation (10:30:48 PM): ron paul i rrepublican
MikeyDevestation (10:30:53 PM): and obama is democrat
MikeyDevestation (10:31:02 PM): there is no pual obama banner
MikeyDevestation (10:31:07 PM): paul*
guitarelephant (10:31:41 PM): Ron Paul is a registered republican that's running libertarian, Find an Obama banner and a Ron Paul banner.
MikeyDevestation (10:32:18 PM): ther will never be an obama banner on my band page
MikeyDevestation (10:32:29 PM): this page has been around alot longer than u think
MikeyDevestation (10:32:38 PM): this is just a new band
MikeyDevestation (10:32:47 PM): remember a march for dawn?
MikeyDevestation (10:33:04 PM): thi is the amfd page the official one
MikeyDevestation (10:33:24 PM): this page has concervative ffanbase
guitarelephant (10:33:26 PM): I dont care, you have to respect my political views or just exclude me out of your political shit, put "Mike is for McCain! WOOOO!!" or somehting like that, keep my name out of it.
MikeyDevestation (10:33:35 PM): other wise iwould be more tanhappyto ut yerbanner up
MikeyDevestation (10:34:25 PM): i find it funny yer freaking about something that will be over in 20 minutes
MikeyDevestation (10:35:17 PM): nut off subject
guitarelephant (10:35:25 PM): Dude, I dont care, I dont want my name next to McCain or any hint of me supporting him, I dont want anyone to see that and believe that its true, because its bullshit. I dont care for your political views just keep my name and the band off of it.
MikeyDevestation (10:35:27 PM): lets change tthe ame back tond deeath sha e (And Death Shall Flee, the band's previous name)
MikeyDevestation (10:35:47 PM): dude know one on this site even knows who u are
MikeyDevestation (10:35:57 PM): except for thee ople u added
MikeyDevestation (10:36:48 PM): lets just drop it !!
guitarelephant (10:36:51 PM): I still dont care
MikeyDevestation (10:36:58 PM): its overr the anners re off now nswerr quesiio

Ok now that we got that out of the way, I'm a bit...pissed off to say the least, I respect his political beliefs but the fact that he didn't ask me permission to include me in his "we as a BAND support senator McCain" statement, and then tried to make it seem like this is just me being ridiculous. I think I'm being fair here. On a side note, he also changed the name we had (DIE GRYNDER) which we both liked, but he got self conscious because people said they hated it so he changed it to "And Death Shall Flee" which is a more...metalcore name to say the least...I'm sorry if its too long to read, here's the summarized version.

My singer used the band's profile to support McCain and I said to not include me in it and he said it was his band and he could do anything he wanted since the majority of the band is republican and he changed the name of it because he didn't like what people thought of it.

Now, what should I do, I want to leave the band because its my least favorite music style (Metalcore) and the fact that he's acting like he's the ****ing King of everything, and its annoying the hell out of me.

On the other hand my therapist tells me that I should try playing some other styles of music, which is fine and I can do it well, but...I dont fit in the collective "Metalcore" scene, I hung out with a bunch of "hardcore" kids today and I felt completely out of place, I hadn't heard music from any of the bands they were talking about, and I just decided to leave and go back home since I wasn't comfortable, my friend Austin is the only cool "hardcore" kid I know, and that's just because we click. With everyone else...its...just awkward.

So what should I do, should I take my therapist's advice to gain experience in something that I dont like and learn from it, or should I follow my own thinking and just leave the band?
The guy's a prick. Try to get other people in the band to side with you in this. If you can outnumber him, he'll probably shut up.
Leave the band. Play music you are comfortable with.

Also, your singer sounds like a douchebag. You should deck him.
Rape.

Or, if that doesnt work (but realistically, when would rape not work?), take a vote. If you dont like it, leave.
Quote by InvaderTSN

That's what I'm leaning towards right now but I want to get a second opinion.
Quote by InvaderTSN

i agree. its not worth it having someone like that in a band
well i only know what i read and if he started the band and his other friend that is in the band both agreed to support mc cain you either need to stfu and deal with it, talk with them about it to see if they will change their mind, or leave the band.
Quote by InvaderTSN

+1

The douche alert is going off like crazy.

The douche radar has detected a douche.

The douche signal is in the sky and your singer is ready to respond!
Quote by Eric 666
That's what I'm leaning towards right now but I want to get a second opinion.

Join a blues/jazz band or something.
Quote by ViperScale
well i only know what i read and if he started the band and his other friend that is in the band both agreed to support mc cain you either need to stfu and deal with it, talk with them about it to see if they will change their mind, or leave the band.

Figures you would say that. I'm sure if he said Obama, you would be saying how much of an ass the guy is. The fact is that guy spoke for Eric 666, which is just wrong.
your friend is a douche, if it was me id either beat the crap out of him or quit the band
I'm Steve
he doesnt kno how to ****ing type

no wonder hes voting for mccain
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by ViperScale

You obviously didn't read, I dont want to deal with it because I wasn't told beforehand. I also dont want to deal with it because I dont want my name to be associated with John McCain, I dont agree with his policies therefore I'm not a supporter, he should have asked me at least first or exclude my name and not use it since he knows that I dont support McCain.
Quote by InvaderTSN

Too ****in' true. If he's making such a big ****ing deal about McCain being the only person the band will ever support.... He's another one of those close-minded republican douchefags types.... Doesn't make a good match with you from what i see. Plus he can't type right.

-1 in my book.
Quote by Eric 666
You obviously didn't read, I dont want to deal with it because I wasn't told beforehand. I also dont want to deal with it because I dont want my name to be associated with John McCain, I dont agree with his policies therefore I'm not a supporter, he should have asked me at least first or exclude my name and not use it since he knows that I dont support McCain.

Yep man. He doesn't have the right to represent the group as a whole as following one ideal while not all members are not in favor of the message.

The one guy that says you should vote is an idiot.

All agree or you let it be. You don't vote on what you want to represent when someone will be opposed. That is not for a good work environment, and its very disrespectful.
Quote by Eric 666

Well to be honest it sounds like you have not known this person / been in this band very long. It sounds like from what i read that it is pretty clear this was decided by them before you joined. I guess they could have told you but they didn't, but then you never asked them did you?
Wow...

One phrase:

Leave them, join me.

But, seriously, the guy sounds like a prick. If it bothers you that much, leave. He's obviously got the mind span of a 12 year old narcoleptic, so all's well that ends well, right?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by ViperScale
Well to be honest it sounds like you have not known this person / been in this band very long. It sounds like from what i read that it is pretty clear this was decided by them before you joined. I guess they could have told you but they didn't, but then you never asked them did you?

It's not the fact that those two support McCain that the TS doesn't like. It's the fact that they said the TS does support McCain when he does not that is wrong. It's not difficult to comprehend.
Quote by TunerAddict

All agree or you let it be. You don't vote on what you want to represent when someone will be opposed. That is not for a good work environment, and its very disrespectful.

This is probably a good thing really. It sounds like both of you are on opposite sides of a political table and would only have problems later on if you band ever went anywhere.
Leave the band. You don't like the music. Band member is being a douche. Personally I hate those people who go "I started this band, its mine" Those kind of people won't go anywhere if they can't learn to work with others as people as they won't try to learn from other musicians.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Sounds like a dick, I have no idea why he wouldn't just say half the band supports. Just be like "Obama sux!!!! - Mike" That doesn't seem hard. And it looks much more sincere since its a personal message. That alone should be basis for you to leave, if he doesn't know how to interact with a fan base. He will not get famous. Ever. And we all know that's the important part right? (kidding, but I rather play the music I love for millions than to 20 people.) Jump ship man. Play the music you love and play it well. Theres no better feeling than making music with guys you gel with... which sounds gayer than I wanted it to but you get it.

btw. How does a democrat/libertarian approach work? I'm not bashing, just kinda wondering. Aren't Libertarians smaller government and democrats bigger?
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by Spamwise
It's not the fact that those two support McCain that the TS doesn't like. It's the fact that they said the TS does support McCain when he does not that is wrong. It's not difficult to comprehend.

guitarelephant (10:20:28 PM): Because, I dont stand for McCain and you know it, the band is not a McCain vehicle, dont use the band to say that we as a collective group stand for Mccain, I personally hate the ****er

Where do you get any indication that the TS likes McCain?

EDIT: Wait i think you typed something wrong because what you said really doesn't make sense.
first of all, this guy is a douchebag and prolly has an aborted fetus up his ass tunnel, if thats how hes going to act, then either boot him or leave.

second of all, anybody who supports McCain deserves to rot in an everlasting pit of feces and crying babies.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Wow...

One phrase:

Leave them, join me.

But, seriously, the guy sounds like a prick. If it bothers you that much, leave. He's obviously got the mind span of a 12 year old narcoleptic, so all's well that ends well, right?

Anytime you wanna jam, just come down here Slay, you're always cool but thanks guys, I needed it.
Quote by ZeBubba!

btw. How does a democrat/libertarian approach work? I'm not bashing, just kinda wondering. Aren't Libertarians smaller government and democrats bigger?

+1
I'm not sure TS really understands the platforms of both parties.
Wikipedia is your friend.

But that's beside the point. Jump ship.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by ViperScale

EDIT: Wait i think you typed something wrong because what you said really doesn't make sense.

Actually, I didn't.

"It's the fact that they said the TS does support McCain when he does not that is wrong."

What do you not understand about that?
Quote by Eric 666
Anytime you wanna jam, just come down here Slay, you're always cool but thanks guys, I needed it.

I'll just take that 27 hour stroll down to...

Wait...
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by shadowsoldier08

second of all, anybody who supports McCain deserves to rot in an everlasting pit of feces and crying babies.

Proof that most dems are retarded. I don't go off saying that about people who support obama. (Personally hate both of them fyi)

And btw encase you didn't know the Clinton's support McCain. (well want him to win anyway)
Quote by shadowsoldier08
first of all, this guy is a douchebag and prolly has an aborted fetus up his ass tunnel, if thats how hes going to act, then either boot him or leave.

Could've done it without the fetus-up-the-ass part, but basically,

This.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Proof that most dems are retarded. I don't go off saying that about people who support obama. (Personally hate both of them fyi)

The fact that you generalize millions of people based on one person is proof that you're retarded.
leave the band
its the only right thing to do
or beat his ass
then leave the band
whichever you have more fun with
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by Spamwise
Actually, I didn't.

"It's the fact that they said the TS does support McCain when he does not that is wrong."

What do you not understand about that?

There should be a period between "not" and "that".
Quote by theoreticmusic
+1
I'm not sure TS really understands the platforms of both parties.
Wikipedia is your friend.

But that's beside the point. Jump ship.

Bleh. The repubs were "against" big government, but its bigger than ever right now thanks to them.

Overall, you can't just put people in based on party. Every person is going to have different opinions on certain issues. Parties are more an alignment to a majority of issues...Or a forced thing people join becasue its the only way they'll be able to be in the party of the winner. Everyone wants to be a winner. Damn our two party system.

I'm Libertarian by the way, registered and proud.
Quote by ViperScale

Not that I like McCain, you misunderstood it, he says exactly what I said, I said that I dont care for their political views meaning I dont mind them, I could care less if they voted for a Llama! I have my views and they should respect them. Oh and yes I have done my research, I support Obama because in my opinion he's the lesser of 2 evils between the big candidates and I like a lot of his policies, but within the smaller parties Ron Paul is my favorite because I agree with EVERY ONE of his policies, that's why I'm a supporter of both.
Page 1 of 4