do i need a guitar humidfier? i am planning to buy a hard case for my guitar... which is better? leaving it on a stand or in hard case? what environment should i place it in? basement or in my upstairs bedroom?
It depends, I think some guitars are recommended to keep humidified while some are better kept as dry as possible. But I think keeping it in a hard case beats leaving it on a stand any day, whether it's an electric, acoustic, or classical.
Quote by THE NEKRYPH
It depends, I think some guitars are recommended to keep humidified while some are better kept as dry as possible.

Do NOT keep it as dry as possible. that's asking for trouble. A solid wood guitar needs to be maintained between roughly 40-60%. If you over or under humidify a solid wood guitar for too long, you'll pay dearly. For laminate, it doesn't matter. Laminate won't really dry out because it's made of crappy wood most of the time anyway.

Quote by ShootingStars
do i need a guitar humidfier? i am planning to buy a hard case for my guitar... which is better? leaving it on a stand or in hard case? what environment should i place it in? basement or in my upstairs bedroom?

You need a humidifier if your environment gets dry. Up here in toronto, it's always around 50% humidity during the summer season so I can keep my guitar out on the stand. During the winter, however, I have to keep it in the case with a humidifier.

Try not to leave your guitar next to any air vents or in direct sunlight. Vents will dry out our guitar. Direct sunlight can loosen the glue slightly. Generally, it is advised that you don't leave guitars in the basement. Your bedroom should be fine.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Do NOT keep it as dry as possible. that's asking for trouble. A solid wood guitar needs to be maintained between roughly 40-60%. If you over or under humidify a solid wood guitar for too long, you'll pay dearly. For laminate, it doesn't matter. Laminate won't really dry out because it's made of crappy wood most of the time anyway.

You need a humidifier if your environment gets dry. Up here in toronto, it's always around 50% humidity during the summer season so I can keep my guitar out on the stand. During the winter, however, I have to keep it in the case with a humidifier.

Try not to leave your guitar next to any air vents or in direct sunlight. Vents will dry out our guitar. Direct sunlight can loosen the glue slightly. Generally, it is advised that you don't leave guitars in the basement. Your bedroom should be fine.

excuse me i live in mississauga and in the winter we usually keep the HEAT on so do i need a humidifier for winter i know i dont need for summer since its humid...
Yes. The heat coming out of those vents are VERY dry. Humidifiers are mainly for winter time.
Equipment:

I get the opposite problem, I live in a place where the relative humidity levels are 70-80%, quite often going into the 90' in summer.
Quote by ShootingStars

You don't really need a humidifier. Leaving it in the case is better. Leaving the case in your bedroom would be better than the basement as the temperature in your bedroom would be more moderate.
Err... you need one living in Ontario. My friend's 09 Series Larrivee's bridge lifted after one winter because it was underhumidified. He kept it in the case all the time.
Equipment: