Hey all, this is my first post so how's it going .

Secondly I've been playing my bass since I was 13, I'm currently 16. However I never really got passionate about it until the past couple months, and my playings vastly improved. (I'm still not that good /self-taught so I don't have any pressure from a teacher )

I've been looking around and I think it's time for me to get a new bass, I play a excellent beginning bass(Peavey Millenium BXP), but that's what it is, a beginning bass.

Thirdly, I'm looking at Laklands model 44-01 and 55-01, But I live in New Hampshire where, you guessed it, no Lakland dealers unless I make a 30 dollar gas trip down to Massachusetts and somebody to drive me there.

So needless to say, I'm trying to get my hands on a Lakland but it's proving difficult. I've been reading about their company and I hear really good things about their Q/C. (Korean machine cut bodys, necks, machine fretted, States electronics/setup)

And to end I'd just like general suggestions about getting a bass, all suggestions welcome .

Here's what I'm looking at/want:
Price range: Under $700
4 or 5 strings: I'm not sure yet, I need to go play one, besides the obvious advantages of a 5-string though, if anybody has a opinion about 4 vs 5 I'd love to hear it.
Neck through vs Bolt-on: I like both, and I like the looks of many neckthoughs, but I'm more concerned with quality-control and some neckthroughs seem like a better put together package.

Woods/Tone: I want something extremely versatile, my parents will be buying this bass and I hope it's the last big musical purchase I ask for from them, so it needs longevity and good sound all-around. One thing I really love about the Laklands is the ability to bypass the active if you want passive-simplicity, then go back to active with a flick of a switch and have access to insane tone control.

As far as woods go, aslong as it doesn't weigh 5-thousand pounds I don't really care, when I'm demoing basses I always go straight for the maple though.

Neck/fretboard/frets: Neck is a tough one to write down but, I really like to be able to glide, and play with the neck, and not need to choke it, but be able to grab hold when I want to. I really dislike the feel of precision necks, it's like trying to hug a tree.

As far as necks go, anything in the middle is good, I like something to wrap-around, the soundgears are nice but a little small, jazzes are nice but kind of wide? I guess it takes some getting used to but I'm up for anything that's smaller than a p-bass and wider than soundgears.

Fretboard, I really prefer the look of Maple but this is more preference than decisive.
Frets, I like big nice frets, Fenders are a bit small for my taste, but I guess I could get used to anything.

Basses I've looked at:
Like:
Schecter Elite 4, neckthrough, very nice color, nicely built, needed to be tweak but the action from the factory was best stock action I've ever played so far.

Soundgear 400QM, bolton, ugliest color I've seen in my life(flame red quilt top), nice action, the QM models have sweep control I believe fun to play with but it seems kinda gimmicky, lower pricetag(about 450 at the store).

Dislike:
Peavey Cirrus BXP, I don't know where to start with it, the flame top color was just so ugly it's pathetic(at least to my taste, sorry if I insulted anyone), the neckthrough just looked retarded from the back because the clear finish looked terrible on the neck, the action on a new bass with the stock strings should never be that bad on a 600-700 dollar bass, I just did not get a good impression of that bass.

Well that's it, I just started this post and kept writing, so all suggestions feel welcome!!

P.S. That's all I got to tinker with in my time at the store, the places I go to tend to be missing Mex Fenders so I've been trying to find one that isn't used(because all the used ones play like crap that I've played, real owner abuse or crappy bass?).

I'll be buying in due time, the more expensive the longer the wait, but fingers crossed in a month from now I'll have a new baby .
I have a feeling you will like the laklands a lot more than the other basses you've mentioned. I had a Darryl Jones 5 for a while it was great. The highlight of all the laklands I've played on was the neck. Its very effortless and smooth.

As far as woods the laklands your looking at has an ash body which is fairly middle of the road in terms of tone. Ash paired with a rosewood neck and the lakland electronics will make the bass very versatile.

If you can't find a lakland in your area to play around on there is always musiciansfriend.com
I'll probably get yelled at for posting this, but they have 45 day warranty that allows you to try the bass for awhile and if you dont like it, you can send it back. I've done it a couple of times and they seemed really cool about it.
Lakland's are wonderful basses. When I get the funds to replace my old Accubass at some point, I am torn between a MIA P bass and a Lakland Duck Dunn.

They do come up on Craiglist (NH) on occasion btw, but if you can't wait, getting one blind is not a risky business on either model you are looking at.

And btw--if you are close to Dover you could get a nice Trace Elliot to go with the bass, lol...

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/853705744.html
Quote by anarkee
Lakland's are wonderful basses. When I get the funds to replace my old Accubass at some point, I am torn between a MIA P bass and a Lakland Duck Dunn.

They do come up on Craiglist (NH) on occasion btw, but if you can't wait, getting one blind is not a risky business on either model you are looking at.

And btw--if you are close to Dover you could get a nice Trace Elliot to go with the bass, lol...

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/853705744.html

I'm not buying for a bit so I'll keep my eyes on craigslist.
It's not that I can't get to the elliot, it's getting the money .