Page 1 of 3
Ok, I want some opinions on this band.

I personally don't think they're "real" ska/punk.

For one thing, they have songs on Tony Hawk video games.

They also were on a major label at one point, and were on this complete garbage label "Fueled By Ramen", which just pisses me off, with the terrible bands on it such as "The Academy Is...." and "Paramore".

What do you guys think?
Quote by bman10030
...whine....They also were on a major label at one point, and were on this complete garbage label "Fueled By Ramen", which just pisses me off, ...whine...

didnt they start Fueled By Ramen?
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Sep 26, 2008,
Quote by Skierinanutshel
didnt they start Fueled By Ramen?

Thanks for correcting me, the drummer was a cofounder. That doesn't mean I'm TOTALLY wrong though...

I still don't think they're a good band, or punk at all.

EDIT: And another thing, if they started it, that's even worse!

That just makes them less punk, for putting these terrible mainstream bands such as Panic at the Disco and Paramore on their label!
why does having a song in tony hawk make them bad? ramones, metallica, the doors, chili peppers have songs in tony hawk
I don't like Less Than Jake.
That being said, plenty of punk bands have appeared on Tony Hawk games.
Also, they put out a split with J Church, which makes them less lame.

But I still don't like them.
Quote by TeeRav
why does having a song in tony hawk make them bad? ramones, metallica, the doors, chili peppers have songs in tony hawk

Not BAD, but still sellouts.

Punk isn't about making a lot of money.

The Doors? Jim Morrison is dead so that wouldn't really count.

And Metallica are hypocrites for having music on games while in the midst of it fighting a RAGING WAR (sarcasm) with napster. I know that was a while ago.

And Ramones were protopunk. They NEVER considered themselves punk.

Apparently they just played sped up versions of "bubblegum pop" and classic surf rock or something. Don't see much of a resemblance but oh well.

But the point is, I'm not saying just because your on Tony Hawk your bad, you're just a sellout.

EDIT: good point neidnarb11890, those type of responses are why I started this thread.
Quote by bman10030
Ok, I want some opinions on this band.

I personally don't think they're "real" ska/punk.

For one thing, they have songs on Tony Hawk video games.

They also were on a major label at one point, and were on this complete garbage label "Fueled By Ramen", which just pisses me off, with the terrible bands on it such as "The Academy Is...." and "Paramore".

What do you guys think?

ZOMG!!! ur sooo rite! that meenz the dead kennedys ain't punx either
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd

Well, the members other than Jello after the breakup sold out terribly....

I heard somewhere that East Bay Ray apparently wanted to make more money to buy a BMW or something, I don't know.

They still were punk, in their heyday, but the other members kinda sold out after Jello. Jello's still pretty cool. He's put on some weight, but still cool.
The Ramones, protopunk? I've never heard that one before. Seriously, there are plenty of punk bands in Tony Hawk.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd

Nor are Dead Boys, The Clash, The Adicts, X, or Joy Division.
Well, I guess Joy Division aren't really punk anyway, but Warsaw was, so there.
Quote by StreetLight3989
The Ramones, protopunk? I've never heard that one before. Seriously, there are plenty of punk bands in Tony Hawk.

Ok.

How are the Ramones punk at all?

I consider them protopunk because they got the whole "you don't need talent" and the whole rawness and speed of punk music popularized.
Quote by bman10030
Ok.

I consider them protopunk because they got the whole "you don't need talent" and the whole rawness and speed of punk music popularized.

How are the Ramones NOT punk at all?
I really don't see what you're getting at.
Quote by bman10030
Ok.

That's why they're punk.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Nor are Dead Boys, The Clash, The Adicts, X, or Joy Division.
Well, I guess Joy Division aren't really punk anyway, but Warsaw was, so there.

I don't like the Adicts.

You guys aren't getting what I'm saying.

Most punk bands do end up selling out.

That doesn't mean they weren't punk at one point.

My point is just that Less Than Jake are terrible and I hate how they're considered p0nx and ska.
Quote by bman10030

I heard somewhere that East Bay Ray apparently wanted to make more money to buy a BMW or something, I don't know.

id kill someone for a BMW. theyre nice cars.

LTJ is ok IMO. im not a huge fan, but i listen to them from time to time. im probably going to see them on Oct. 1 with some of my friends actually.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
That's why they're punk.

Punk isn't just about the playing style, it's also, much much more than that about the lyrics.

Look at some Dead Kennedys lyrics (in their heyday) and compare them to some Ramones lyrics.
Quote by bman10030
Ok.

There was never a whole "you don't need talent thing". Learn your facts, The Ramones are definitely punk and protopunk.
Quote by bman10030
Punk isn't just about the playing style, it's also, much much more than that about the lyrics.

Look at some Dead Kennedys lyrics (in their heyday) and compare them to some Ramones lyrics.

Compare Buzzcocks lyrics to Dead Kennedys lyrics
EDIT: This is gonna get good
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Last edited by HiImKindaNewAnd at Sep 27, 2008,
Quote by daytripper75
id kill someone for a BMW. theyre nice cars.

LTJ is ok IMO. im not a huge fan, but i listen to them from time to time. im probably going to see them on Oct. 1 with some of my friends actually.

Idk, a car is merely for getting from point A to point B.

Not showing off how much money you have, or how much debt you owe.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Compare Buzzcocks lyrics to Dead Kennedys lyrics

True, try comparing The Ergs lyrics to Subhumans lyrics. They're both punk, their lyrics aren't remotely similar.
Quote by bman10030
Idk, a car is merely for getting from point A to point B.

Not showing off how much money you have, or how much debt you owe.

im sorry, but if i can afford a BMW, im sure as hell getting one rather than a beat up old Saturn.
Quote by bman10030

No, it's just the ones you here about.

Jack my swag
Quote by StreetLight3989
There was never a whole "you don't need talent thing". Learn your facts, The Ramones are definitely punk and protopunk.

No I'm talking about how RAMONES (notice lack of THE, "learn your facts") had influenced the movement when like Sex Pistols and The Clash went to some shows and Joey had been like "We don't have talent. We're just doing what we love, having fun" and that inspired and helped start the movement. It was still before the movement that this happened. I don't mean "all p0nx bands have no talent"

By the way, in case you think I'm spawning this information out of thin air, it's just what I heard in the Ramones documentary.
Quote by bman10030

Wrong wrong wrong.
Look at the Dead Boys or the Damned's lyrics. Punk was a musical style. Politics weren't brought into it until later.

I don't like the Adicts.

You guys aren't getting what I'm saying.

That doesn't mean they weren't punk at one point.

My point is just that Less Than Jake are terrible and I hate how they're considered p0nx and ska.

Whether or not you like the Adicts is irrelevant.
Not all punk bands are opposed to making some money.
Quote by gopherthegreat
No, it's just the ones you here about. Idiot.

Ok. Name some that haven't.

And if you think going on guitar hero and suing your former band member for the rights to your song to be used in a jeans commercial is still not selling out, then you have a weird idea of what selling out is.

Oh an btw.

The ones I here about?

Now I have something to use against you. Ha.
Lyrics weren't heavily political until bands like the Dead Kennedys and Crass started popping up. And they were certainly not the first punk bands.

Jack my swag
Quote by bman10030

And if you think going on guitar hero and suing your former band member for the rights to your song to be used in a jeans commercial is still not selling out, then you have a weird idea of what selling out is.

Oh an btw.

The ones I here about?

Now I have something to use against you. Ha.

Forgot a 'd'; didn't we?
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by gopherthegreat
Lyrics weren't heavily political until bands like the Dead Kennedys and Crass started popping up. And they were certainly not the first punk bands.

So you're saying the first wave of punk bands weren't political? Sex Pistols (don't consider them punk but)? The Clash (White Riot)?

And Dead Kennedys formed in 1978.

Sex Pistols first album came out a few months before that.

The Dead Kennedys weren't that late.
Quote by bman10030
No I'm talking about how RAMONES (notice lack of THE, "learn your facts") had influenced the movement when like Sex Pistols and The Clash went to some shows and Joey had been like "We don't have talent. We're just doing what we love, having fun" and that inspired and helped start the movement. It was still before the movement that this happened. I don't mean "all p0nx bands have no talent"

By the way, in case you think I'm spawning this information out of thin air, it's just what I heard in the Ramones documentary.

I really don't understand what you're saying, but I think you're saying The Sex Pistols and Clash were the first punk, which isn't true. The first punk bands in my opinion were The MC5 and The Stooges, but that's a different topic. Seriously dude, the punk has no talent thing only developed because of The Sex Pistols, one band, that really didn't matter as much as you think in the history of punk. I really don't know what you're saying here though.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Forgot a 'd'; didn't we?

There's a difference between not hitting a key hard enough and using a homonym.

Just like when a typical suburban clone exclaims a typical response to any rational insult, "your gay", when the correct grammar would be "you're gay".
Quote by StreetLight3989
I really don't understand what you're saying, but I think you're saying The Sex Pistols and Clash were the first punk, which isn't true. The first punk bands in my opinion were The MC5 and The Stooges, but that's a different topic. Seriously dude, the punk has no talent thing only developed because of The Sex Pistols, one band, that really didn't matter as much as you think in the history of punk. I really don't know what you're saying here though.

Well yeah of course theres the Stooges and MC5, and a little later The New York Dolls.

I would consider them more protopunk.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for not flaming and being a jackass about it.
Quote by bman10030
So you're saying the first wave of punk bands weren't political? Sex Pistols (don't consider them punk but)? The Clash (White Riot)?

And Dead Kennedys formed in 1978.

Sex Pistols first album came out a few months before that.

The Dead Kennedys weren't that late.

The Damned - New Rose
Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer
Buzzcocks - Orgasm Addict
Wire - 12XU
Quote by bman10030

Antischism
Crass
Aus Rotten
Subhumans
The Dicks
Caustic Christ
Discharge
Conflict
MDC
Flux of Pink Indians
The Varukers
DOA
Mischief Brew
Defiance, Ohio
Amebix
The Dwarves
Rudimentary Peni
Capitalist casualties
Crucifix
Leftover Crack
Reagan youth

Want me to still go on? I could go for quite a while.

Jack my swag
Quote by mbbmalcolm
^

Yeah Gopher totally owned bman there.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
bman I admire your battle taking on the whole forum here I really do. But you need to learn a lot more of what punk is before you take this forum on. True not a lot of people here really don't know how to debate punk well but they certainly know more than you do on this certain topic. I don't totally doubt you're a good kid and will learn well though.

On subject I'm not a fan of Less Than Jake for many different reasons. I just don't consider them a very good ska or punk or skapunk band. They are however a professional band and their record labels and decisions have nothing to do with you or care about what you think of them. If you think they did care about what the punk scene thinks of them they wouldn't make the business decisions they do and I don't hold any of that against them. I just don't consider them a very good band in general.
Quote by BliNK182ROKZ
bman I admire your battle taking on the whole forum here I really do. But you need to learn a lot more of what punk is before you take this forum on. True not a lot of people here really don't know how to debate punk well but they certainly know more than you do on this certain topic. I don't totally doubt you're a good kid and will learn well though.

Blink182ROKZ is a loose cannon cop on the edge who doesn't play by the rules in:

LOOSE CANNON COP ON THE EDGE WHO DOESN'T PLAY BY THE RULES
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Less Than Jake are boring, though put on funny shows........and yes punk wasn´t political, but some bands evolved it into the right direction, punk wouldn´t exist anymore as such and in the way I like it if it didn´t become political.
Simple music created by teenage rebels, who start to listen to Aerosmith in the age of 25 cannot last over a long time as scene. The real scene is defined first of all over tolerance, you can be the way you are, noone cares for your skin colour, you hair, your gender or you sexual orientation. It´s ok when you´re an ilegal or whatever, you just have to share the beliefs, and that´s why punk still exists, otherwise punk was just a movement of rebelling skaters and Blink was the #1 band.
Lots of bands DID sell out, or grew up. In a certain age you get a different taste, you learn your instrument or you have a family you don´t want to throw in your protest against this whole shit. I´ll still point on sell outs, who sell their ideals and punk has to be political for me, but I still understand certain things.

If you want a real sell out, look at Skrewdriver.
Page 1 of 3