I'm thinking of getting an epiphone valve jr head and cab for bedroom playing but would it be too loud? Should I just get the combo instead? Price is not an issue here.
the head/cab should be the same volume as the combo..

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

both are 5W, wouldn't make a difference
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Both should be pretty much the same as they're both 5watts. They do get quite loud too. I've heard of some people still using attenuators on VJs to be able to crank them and yet still keep them at a comfortably low volume for bedroom practice.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
i cranked one all the way up in guitarcenter today, with the guitar volume on .5 it was loud as hell , shook stuff on the walls
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
These guys are wrong. I have both the head/cab and the combo. The 12" speaker in the cab moves more air then the 8" in the combo and is a fair bit louder. The other thing with the 12" you get better low end. I'd go with head/cab and depend on my guitar volume if I were you or better still use a pedal with a volume control.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
5 watts of headroom shouldnt be a problem for mostm, if not all situations

however if the speakers in the cab(or the combo) really efficient speakers it may get too loud quickly
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I haven't hear either, but that mini stack looks freakin cool!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by scott58
These guys are wrong. I have both the head/cab and the combo. The 12" speaker in the cab moves more air then the 8" in the combo and is a fair bit louder. The other thing with the 12" you get better low end. I'd go with head/cab and depend on my guitar volume if I were you or better still use a pedal with a volume control.

+1............and if you want to play at low levels and not bother anyone in your house or next door use pedals.
Like said, naturally as the 12" speaker of the cab pushes more air, the head will be louder, but I wouldn't worry, at bedroom volumes you can still crank it enough to get some decent overdrive. And just roll the guitars volume down a bit for cleans if you want cleans + overdrive at the level.
I have a epiphone valve junior head, i am using a crate 4x10 cab, the little beast is freakin loud, i put it on about 9 and run my distortion pedal through it and it shakes stuff, and i live in a apartment so i rarely get to turn it on, i ordered a Weber attenuator the 75 dollars one, so hopefully i can jam with it now with out pissing off our asshole neighbors downstairs, tube amps are inherently louder then solid state amps, this thing can get as loud as my 120 watt Crate solid state, but the 4x10 cab helps as well. Anyways if its a house then id say go for the the head and cab setup, the little 8' speaker doesn't do it justice, apartment the combo. Hope that helped.

- Brent
Quote by MermaidMan
So I assume the head+cab sounds better over the combo?
Absolutely. The combo sucks. However, the combo is really just a head with a build in speaker. So if you got the combo and a cab, you could have better sound at home and sucky sound on the go.
Also, I don't really think an attenuator is the solution for a Vjr. I've attenuated mine and it really doesn't have a good driven sound. You are much better off with pedals in front. The tonal qualities of the Vjr are not very good without external help.
Quote by AdamDK
Like said, naturally as the 12" speaker of the cab pushes more air, the head will be louder, but I wouldn't worry, at bedroom volumes you can still crank it enough to get some decent overdrive. And just roll the guitars volume down a bit for cleans if you want cleans + overdrive at the level.

Pushing more air does not equal more volume it equals more bass response. If you have an 18 watt amp, it is only putting out 18 watts no matter how many speakers you have. If you hooked it up to 200 speakers, it is still only 18 watts.