I got a couple of questions:

1. How do you know that your guitar needs a set up for the neck, bridge, etc. Btw. i have a Les Paul.

2. When I change from .9's to .12's do i have to do anything cause of the string tension?

3. What kind of strings do you recommend for an acoustic guitar. Are there any acoustic strings that you can bend with but still keep its tone ?

Any help is appreciated ... thanks in advance.
1. when i tune my guitar, i usually check for intonation every so often, see how straight the neck is, that kinda thing...when it needs it, get one done.

2. i would definintely recommend a setup from .9's to .12's...

3. acoustic strings that bend but keep it's tone? or it's tuning? 'cuz if you meant tuning then...i think that's a problem with your tuners... try to rub graphite in between each little nook in the nut
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
1. I get mine set up twice a year just to keep it at top condition, but you don't necessarily need to. As long as the action is where you like it and the intonation is correct, you're good.

2. That's a pretty big change. It wouldn't hurt you to have a set up done when you make the change.

3. I use D'addario strings on my acoustic and I really like their feel and tone. You can use lighter gauge strings but there is some tone drop off.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Whether it's a Les Paul or a no-name rip-off, changing from 9 to 12 REQUIRES a truss rod adjustment. If you don't know how to do that, don't try it or else you might damage the neck. Just pay a guitar tech $5 or so to do it.
Quote by pwrmax
Whether it's a Les Paul or a no-name rip-off, changing from 9 to 12 REQUIRES a truss rod adjustment. If you don't know how to do that, don't try it or else you might damage the neck. Just pay a guitar tech $5 or so to do it.

Is there any videos or websites that could help me with set up adjustments ?
Quote by pwrmax

Damage generally occurs whenever you tighten the neck too much. . . causing a crack within the wood. . . I've seen cases of it, I'd go by one of the guitar manufacturers information on adjustment of the action, such as Ibanez, haha, I've been using that info ever since my first RG and that was like, at least 6-8 years ago. . . anyways, Later.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris