Hi,

This is going to sound really funny. I've had an Ibanez RGR421EXFM for a few months now, and its got a 3 way pickup selector. The pickups are stock Ibanez, and I'm still not sure what kind they are. I found two product descriptions on the Ibanez site:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RGR421EXFM

and

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?data_id=1047&color=CL01&area_id=2&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=53

The first one states that the guitar has a 5 way pickup selector.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Also, whats the deal with these pickups. Almost everyone on this forum has complained about the stock pickups being bad. I'm still learning to play, so this doesn't bother me but why are they bad and what are they really?

Cheers!
The 5-way description is just copy and pasted from the other RG series descriptions for guitars that have HSH config pickups. You have 2 pickups anyway, a 5-way switch couldn't even be wired in properly nevermind the fact that it'd be entirely pointless.
I dont know about those pickups so i'll leave it to someone else.
Quote by CupCake182
The 5-way description is just copy and pasted from the other RG series descriptions for guitars that have HSH config pickups. You have 2 pickups anyway, a 5-way switch couldn't even be wired in properly nevermind the fact that it'd be entirely pointless.

You could have a 5 way switch and coil split them or whatever people call it today.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by CupCake182
The 5-way description is just copy and pasted from the other RG series descriptions for guitars that have HSH config pickups.

Seems plausible, thanks. Lil Macker, I think its a typo. The middle position corresponds to the split pickup selection.
Quote by CupCake182

Easy to do actually, comes stock on some ibanez models.

Bridge, Bridge and neck split, bridge and neck full, neck in parallel, neck in series.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Easy to do actually, comes stock on some ibanez models.

Bridge, Bridge and neck split, bridge and neck full, neck in parallel, neck in series.

Sorry. I didn't take a good look at the diagrams on those pages and assumed it was just like the page for the guitar i bought that has the wrong diagrams.
That said since you have a 3 way switch then it doesn't look like your guitar can switch to the pickups split like that.