Hey guys, wel here i the problem, i have been trying to play lead guitar. but evertime i try to play, i end up playing some kick ass blues. Now i have absolutely no problem with blues, i love it, but i want to learn some rock lead. What exactly rock lead?
what i mean is what exactle seperates the guitar leads of black sabbath, led zepplin, and other great rock roll bands from blues like bb king. What exactly constitues rock and roll lead guitar, and what should you have in mind when attempting to play it? bascially my whole problem is that it does not sound like anything rock and roll.
Listen to some Rock n' Roll and try and "emulate" some of the leads.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Well, most of Zeppelin and Sabbath leads, as well as the Hednirx leads are actually blues leads! Without listnieng to it, I'd say leave BB King alone, and learn some of those guys solo's, notice tyhe extra speed that they play with compared to blues, and also the use pf notes OUTSIDE yep OUTSIDE the minor pentatonic scale. Can you be aq bit more specific maybe?
thanks to the guy that mentioned the minor pentatonic scale, i have specific and trying Not to use it, actually i have been just trying to play what ever i think sounds along the fretboard, no idea what im playing, just seeing what fits and waht does not. Basically what im saying is:

I want to play some rock and roll, but i end up playing blues instead, while still wanting to make sounds that rock and roller's do
A lot of rock licks are exactly the same as blues licks, just played differently...play a bit faster, attack the strings harder, bend and vibrato more aggressively.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
A lot of rock licks are exactly the same as blues licks, just played differently...play a bit faster, attack the strings harder, bend and vibrato more aggressively.

Pretty much. Blues are what rock and metal stems from.

To make a rock/metal solo you will benefit hugely from a rock/metal backing rhythm. I remember I used to try and make metal solos without rhythm and they always sounded like the blues.
Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing. Phrasing.

Phrasing is one of the only things that seperates blues, rock and metal without introducing jazz elements, all the note choice is more or less the same it's just what's done with the notes that makes all the difference.

Go out and really listen to as much of the kind of stuff you want to play as possible and by that I don't mean just listen to it while you're eating or play over the top or whatever, you need to really listen to and think about what thay're doing and try to emulate it, whatever it is. You should also learn as many licks and solos from the genres you want to play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.