Page 1 of 4
It's been a long time coming so here it is. This thread shall be dedicated to bluegrass/newgrass music.

Listen to Flatt and Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Del McCoury and The Stanley Brothers if you want to hear traditional bluegrass.

Listen to Yonder Mountain String Band, Hot Buttered Rum, John Hartford, The New Grass Revival, and Nickel Creek if you want to hear progressive bluegrass/Newgrass.

Listen to the Sirius bluegrass station if you like mainstream country but wish it had a mandolin and banjo

Theres a link to the group in my sig.
Is The Devil Makes Three bluegrass?
I'm a Blue Grass n00b anyway.

I have a have basically 2 country albums: The Devil Makes Three album and Ryan Bingham's album.

That's it.

Youtube links?
Quote by imgooley

Youtube links?

I'll find some bluesy stuff to ease you in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhihxuYjCmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykimmSPMp5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERjlLEHlltQ

This band may be of interest because they are an all black string band that play in an old time style used by black bands of the early 1900's as opposed to the appalachian style (and 'cuz they are damn good). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLRCSOZ7wo

I dig teh mandolin.
I am gonna start playing my friend's mandolin. We want to start a bluegrass/acoustic band and there are tons of guitarists everywhere but no other instrumentalists so I am gonna man up and play mando so we can find a guitar. Maybe, or I wil just play it for fun.
the only bluegrass i really listen to is yonder i really enjoy them and i need look into some more bluegrass sometime.

does the string cheese incident count as bluegrass(sometimes)??
String Cheese is awesome!

What about Old Crow? Do they count? I love em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug7IgB8MfWE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vJUadjdmo

I don't know a damn thing about bluegrass, I just automatically assume mandolin and banjos = blue grass. Someone had to tell me Avett Brothers weren't bluegrass. They played at Merlefest...
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 29, 2008,
I love bluegrass, but I don't know too much bluegrass. I've only really listened to Flatts & Skruggs and others like that and then YMSB and Railroad Earth, just very basic stuff. I'm trying to learn banjo but it's a bitch, but I can pass for a mediocre mandolin player though.
I have heard String Cheese called bluegrass before but I have never heard anything bluegrassy from them. OCMS is technically old time, which is really slightly different than bluegrass (but it is allowed in this thread.)

If you guys like YMSB and jam-grass or whatever (I dislike the term) then you should check out Hot Buttered Rum, Greensky Bluegrass and John Hartford (Yonder covers a TON of his stuff). And to the guy that like OCMS and Avett Bros. you should check out The Hackensaw Boys for some more punkish bluegrass.

On an unrelated note I saw Bearfoot in a town outside of mine (population 300) yesterday and they were really good and their bassist was hot and their mandolin was crazy. www.bearfootband.com

EDIT: Actually SCI has a version of Lonesome Road Blues done straight up bluegrass on the bonus disc of Untying The Knot, but they cut that so they could use the a'capella section as a weird tag in an electronic song.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Damn I forgot. If anyone in here happens to be a Deadhead and hasn't yet then check out Old & in The Way, Jerry's bluegrass sideproject.

I can't believe I forgot to mention them, they are so sweet. Grisman is a beast
Quote by ledhed68
I can't believe I forgot to mention them, they are so sweet. Grisman is a beast

Yeah dude, he has been in so many amazing bands over the years. His son Sam Grisman, who plays bass in The David Grisman Bluegrass Experience, also has a rap band with Greg Liszt (I think that is his name, Crooked Still's banjo) that might be of interest. Well more spoken word than rap but I love them. www.myspace.com/deadlygentlemen
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I have heard String Cheese called bluegrass before but I have never heard anything bluegrassy from them. OCMS is technically old time, which is really slightly different than bluegrass (but it is allowed in this thread.)

EDIT: Actually SCI has a version of Lonesome Road Blues done straight up bluegrass on the bonus disc of Untying The Knot, but they cut that so they could use the a'capella section as a weird tag in an electronic song.

yo should look into there on the road series. one of the concerts i have from them the whole first disc is pretty much all bluegrass and some randon songs thoughout the rest of the concert
heres the concert On the Road: 07-03-02 Steamboat Springs, CO Disc 1
you can pm me or something if you are interested and i can send it to you or something..
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Quote by Liam Alan

My friend denies this band's awesomeness!

Quote by Liam Alan

Seldom Scene - Wait a Minute Real awesome song! John Duffy's voice is amazing.

Agreed. The Scene has such great vocals all the time. I only have one of their albums (their most recent one, because I saw them at a bluegrass festival) it isn't quite as good as their '70s stuff, Ben Eldridge is the only original member, but the harmonies are still incredible.

Speaking of amazing vocalists, how about some Del : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otV_k-K5oN8
Last edited by Beakwithteeth at Oct 1, 2008,
I just discovered I great band, Muleskinner. They only put out one album in the 60s but they featured Richard Greene, Peter Rowan, David Grisman, Clarence White (brick-shittingly good guitarist, plays electric sometimes) and Bill Keith. They formed to open for Bill Monroe on a TV show but then Bill couldn't come so they were forced to play a full set.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Damn I forgot. If anyone in here happens to be a Deadhead and hasn't yet then check out Old & in The Way, Jerry's bluegrass sideproject.

Have you happened to have heard any of the pre-Dead Jerry?
^ Oh yes. Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions FTW! they did get me into some great bands though, about half of their material is from The Jim Kweskin Jug Band (most of the songs are older than Jim Kweskin but the Mother McCree's versions are almost identical to Jim Kweskin's)
well since you asked nicely

yonder mountian....well my collection of there music extends to there debut album Elevation and a handful of live shows. i could use a recommendation on what to aquire next...
elevation is a solid album i enjoy some of my favorite tracks are Left Me in a Hole, On the Run and Waijal Breakdown.

though my collection of there music isnt vast i have seen them in concert 5 times . once over the past three summers in buffalo and i also seen them this summer at rothbury music fest with jon fishman(yay). and they were at moe.down this year. they always put on a good live show ive always done a little bluegrass binge after seeing them.

me and my girl friend actully have a conversation with ben kaufman and jeff austin at rothbury. my girl spoted ben(she has a crush on him for some reason ) out in a crowd so we went up to talk to him and jeff was there too. we did the normal star struck fan thing though lol. we congratulated them on a good show and all that fan stuff lol and asked them when the next time they were coming back to NY. they are both pretty cool dudes.
You should get mountain tracks. Vol. 1 is my favorite, but Vol. 5 is also very good. I've never cared for their studio too much though, although I'm usually that way with jam bands.
Quote by fudger

me and my girl friend actully have a conversation with ben kaufman and jeff austin at rothbury. my girl spoted ben(she has a crush on him for some reason )

'Cuz he is sexy and balding obviously.

You should get Mountain tracks 3 or 5, they are both awesome double disc live albums. Or if you want studio then get their self titled, it is their most progressive album. There's a cool feedback intro on Sidewalk Stars and drums on two (or three if you count Midwest Gospel Radio) of the songs and some electric guitar occasionally.
yea ill probly get a live cd from them casue ive loved them when i have seen them live. ill look into those Mountain tracks.
Cool. I would definitely go with volume 5. It has King Ebeneezer and Ten on it, therefore it is fantastic.

By the way, have you ever listened to John Hartford? He made the album that more or less kicked off the whole progressive bluegrass movement, Aereo-Plain. YMSB covers a lot of his stuff (Holdin', Two Hits and The Joint Turned Brown, Steam Powered Aereoplane). If you haven't heard him you should, Aereo-Plain is out of print though so you will have to search around and not download it though.
yea well no i have not heard of john hartford but i searchedd for his stuff online and i did not tourrent it but i shall check it out like right now....
Anyone like the Stanley Brothers? I am downloading a huge best of of theirs. They were one of the first bluegrass groups to have guitar breaks in their songs. Because they couldn't afford a very large band their guitarist had to develop a crosspicking style to fill up more sound. Also Carter's lead plus Ralph's tenor is one of the best vocal duos I have ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq44pOAjBDY
i've never heard of them but that was solid. the violin player was good.

EDIT:just for fun and becasue this is a bluegrass thread. what do you think of bela fleck as a banjo player?
He is fantastic. Saw him live (with the Sparrow Quartet, not the Flecktones) and it was one of the best shows I have seen. I shook his hand and told him that it was one of the best shows I have seen too . He is probably the best banjo player around as far as technicality goes.

The guy who taught him, Tony Trischka, was teaching at the bluegrass camp I went to. He is really good too, has some jazz fusion albums even, he would be worht checking out if you like Fleck.

And btw, in the bluegrass thread it is a fiddle
Quote by Beakwithteeth
He is fantastic. Saw him live (with the Sparrow Quartet, not the Flecktones) and it was one of the best shows I have seen. I shook his hand and told him that it was one of the best shows I have seen too . He is probably the best banjo player around as far as technicality goes.

The guy who taught him, Tony Trischka, was teaching at the bluegrass camp I went to. He is really good too, has some jazz fusion albums even, he would be worht checking out if you like Fleck.

And btw, in the bluegrass thread it is a fiddle

oh my bad all this classical sh*t in school has me thinking like that...lol

but yea i love bela fleck he does things with a banjo they you shouldn't be able to lol.
i'll defentily check out Tony Trischka.

ive been digging John Hartford the past few days. ive accquried the albums Aero-Plain and The Love Album & Housing Project two very good albums hes very solid. i like his vocals they are nice and mellow. and now i finally know what you avatar is
Last edited by fudger at Oct 28, 2008,
has anyone(i love how i say anyone when its just me and you..) heard of bill nershi of the string cheese incidents band, the emmitt nershi band?? there nershi in it along with drew emmitt from leftover salmon there banjo player andy thorn is very solid. i seen them at rothbury they put on a very good show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8kGDbt5CX8

mandolin- cousin
dobro- cousin
(upright)bass- uncle

I cant believe this thread exists
Ibanez GAX-70

Roland microcube

50 watt Marshall through 4-12 avatar cabinet.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. Cause life isn't that simple."
Quote by mxrobert01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8kGDbt5CX8

mandolin- cousin
dobro- cousin
(upright)bass- uncle

I cant believe this thread exists

well i personally see a girl playing double bass. idk mabey its just cause its 4 am...
but they are solid i enjoyed it i listen to like 2 more songs by them. therre mando player kicks a**.

but of course we have a bluegrass thread lol. stop in sometimes it gets lonely........
Quote by fudger
has anyone(i love how i say anyone when its just me and you..) heard of bill nershi of the string cheese incidents band, the emmitt nershi band?? there nershi in it along with drew emmitt from leftover salmon there banjo player andy thorn is very solid. i seen them at rothbury they put on a very good show.

Yeah I saw them at Targhee! That's when I got to jam with Billy Nershi and Tyler Grant (bass/guitar for Emmit Nershi band) they were really good. Nershi also played with Jeff Austin, Darol Anger and Eric Thorin. Both great sets.
Quote by mxrobert01

That's a real good band. A lot of amateur (idk if they are amateur or not just making a bold assumption) bluegrass bands I see on youtube have a few good players but have a weak link in them. Everyone seemed like they knew what they were doing in that one. The bassist is a woman though, unless your uncle's name is Laura.
ahh now i remember reading your post about jamming with Nershi(im totally jelous..). but they are a nice band i caught most of there set at Rothbury it was good.

i accquried John Hartford's Nobody Knows What You Do album today its good i like it. theres some different elements from other genres brought in which makes its cool. very solid album.
That is a good album, it has Sam Bush on it. I actually only have AereoPlain, Nobody Knows What You Do and Gentle On My Mind and Other Originals. NKWYD and GOMMAOO are vinyl rips with bad bass and scratchiness 'cuz I didn't download them...

Where did you not download the other albums? Or did you use torrents? I can't install bittorrent on my computer 'cuz it is from my school nd needs a password.
Page 1 of 4