Recently I've been having a bit of trouble with my delay. I've got a Boss DD-6 at the end of my chain, and it commonly gives a distorted sound (in a bad way) when I use it.

After a bit of experimentation, I realised it was my EQ pedals that were doing it. I use an MXR 10 band EQ and a BBE sonic stomp, both of which I leave permanently engaged. I tried turning them both off and the problem was completely gone. I know the obvious answer is 'just turn off both pedals when you use delay', but both these pedals are integral to my tone and I don't want to sacrifice them.

I was merely wondering if this is something I'm going to have to live with, or whether it's just due to the nature of the Boss DD-6 (something to do with it being digital perhaps?), and if getting a different delay would solve the problem.
I'll use my amps FX loop as a last resort if nothing else works, but I'd really prefer not to as it sucks tone quite badly.

Will nothing else work?
Umm, could you use the delay before the EQ and Sonic Stomp? How would that sound?

I'm guessing it's caused by the other pedals boosting the signal so much that it drives the delay pedal to distortion. You could try lowering the level on the EQ pedal, but then again that'll probably affect tone.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I assume you could stick the EQs after the delay, unless you wanna run them into a distortion or something.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I'd run the EQ's last regardless of you're chain. Just how I do things. It makes sense to me to EQ you're signal last and change the frequencies last, not changing them and then modulating it. Just how I do things.
I've tried putting both EQ's after the delay but for some reason it still clips when I turn the delay on.
Okay I give up, I've tried everything.

The only conclusions I can come to are that a) it's something to do with it being a digitial pedal, maybe an analogue wouldn't have this problem? or b) it's a faulty pedal

I'm going to borrow my friends DD-3 tomorrow and try it in my chain, if it doesn't clip I'll know it's to do with my pedal. But if the DD-3 clips too, would going for an analogue pedal be the way forward?
Quote by matt bickerton
I'll use my amps FX loop as a last resort if nothing else works, but I'd really prefer not to as it sucks tone quite badly.

Will nothing else work?

What the hell? How does this suck tone in any way? The only thing I could see is the pedal itself, but it'd kill just as much tone as in front of the amp.

Dude, the effects loop was MADE for tone tweakers like eq's and delays. Put them in there and leave them there. Leave the sonic stomp at the front.

Guitar->Sonic Stomp->Amp->FX Loop(EQ->Delay->FX Return)->Spkr out

easy
Quote by matt bickerton

Will nothing else work?

The delay should pretty much always go in the effects loop. I mean if you're using an amp that will be completely clean even at high volumes then it won't make much of a difference. But if your putting your delay in before the signal is distorted then it just sounds bad.

So if your going with clean tones then the solution is to put it after the BBE and Decimator (You don't want to put your delay before a noise gate. The train of thought would be "Oh, I don't want my delay to give off noise", but it's better to put them after noise gates because it will counteract the choking of the noise gate.) If you're using any sort of distortion, overdrive, fuzz, anything, even if you're just cranking the amp for breakup, then delay should go in the effects loop. I don't know what to tell you with your effects loop problem, I guess it's your problem.

Quote by injected
What the hell? How does this suck tone in any way? The only thing I could see is the pedal itself, but it'd kill just as much tone as in front of the amp.

It's definitely possible. He's not talking about any of the pedals, he's talking about his amp's effects loop sucking tone, which happens. That's why some amps advertise their effects loops as "studio quality" or with "no tone coloring".
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X