I just bought a new amp and now its time to get recording.

Unfortunatly I only have Aus$100 left in the gear bank.

I have a GT-8 with the usual outputs, and the amp as a DI output.

My computer has USB busses and a crappy looking mic in line.

So what should I invest it, A SM57 second hand or something looks good but I dont think my pc will take it without other hardware.
That comes out to around $80 in the US
I highly suggest saving up more money before buying gear, You will be much happier in the end IMO...

If you must record now, I suggest looking for used gear on eBay. A toneport UX1 and SM57 is a fair start.

The interface is a must have in my book, they are a high end sound card which will bypass your stock card on the computer while giving you the proper inputs to work with.

A PreSonus Inspire 1394, EMU 0202USB or EMU 0404USB would be a more ideal choice if you had the money to spend, they have better preamps and converters in them which gives better sound.
Thanks, Watched the the on budget recording, awesome.

The pc is a laptop so puting in a new soundcard is out of the question unfortunatly.

Ill go down to tandy tommorrow and buy some simple adapters.

What is a good mic to look at?
You can buy a "sound card" for a laptop, it's called an audio interface which is basically a high end sound card made to record. The EMU 0202 and line6 Toneport UX1 are both examples of interfaces with USB connection.

Thing is for $80 you really can't get an interface and mic...you MAY be able to on ebay but it seems like a long shot IMO...

How about looking into USB mics like this Samson?
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810

I think it's your best bet right now with your budget. It wont sound great but is still better than using a mic run though your computer sound card...
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 27, 2008,
Ok, I think I might save up and look at the toneport thing which I can get pretty cheap from somewhere.

Would I have to use all the models? Or could I just use it as an interface for a mic.
Quote by dan_g_
Ok, I think I might save up and look at the toneport thing which I can get pretty cheap from somewhere.

Would I have to use all the models? Or could I just use it as an interface for a mic.

You must install Gearbox as it is the driver for the hardware but you can bypass all the FX in the software and use the Toneport with any other recording and modeling software you want.
If you have vista, stay away from the Toneports, they dont work well together.