I am looking into buying some new equipment and was wanting to get a few opinions. Do you think I should get a jcm2000dsl head and 2 1960 cabinets...or should I go with a rack type setup with a preamp, power amp, and then 2 4x12 cabinets??? I like to run my sound through effects so I'm not worried about getting effects from a head unit, I do want the cleanest sound that I can get without alot of noise.
are you playing stadiums?
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
no, the power amp would be somewhere in the 100watt range...the largest place that I play right now is places like six flags...so maybe the size of a high school baseball field. I just want the best sound I can get without background noise from the amp.
Quote by xander307
are you playing stadiums?

STFU n00b

By that I mean, if he has the dough, let him spend it.

Anyway, If you get most of your tone from effects, or always run effects, a rack would work.

I'm not a proponent of racks, but that's because they wouldn't work for what I do (I don't run effects).

What you could do is get a head and just run rack effects with it.
Well, i cant tell you much about racks, but the DSL heads are really good so i'd definatly recommend them, dont mean to sound a dick but if its not totally nessacary dont bother with a full stack, it'll be a pain in the ass, unless you have roadies :P
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Racks do not necessarily have to involve effects...

The versatility of a rack is unrivalled due to the fact you can change which pre-amp you're using with which power amp.

As i said, doesnt have to involve effects.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by xander307
Well, i cant tell you much about racks, but the DSL heads are really good so i'd definatly recommend them, dont mean to sound a dick but if its not totally nessacary dont bother with a full stack, it'll be a pain in the ass, unless you have roadies :P

well, the stack that I had...had an accident... and is no longer with us. The set up I am having to use right now, I just don't like, is a Crate GT1200H with a 'normal' 412 cab and another 412 crate cab with celestions. That is why I am upgrading I just wasn't sure if I wanted to get the rack setup since I had to upgrade anyway.
Quote by Andron17
Xander is right. You will not need tha so get a stack not a rack

you just said the exact opposite to xander.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
the only problem with a rack setup is, when you get more and more stuff for it and something goes wrong, it will be a pain in the ass to figure it out on the fly
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
the only problem with a rack setup is, when you get more and more stuff for it and something goes wrong, it will be a pain in the ass to figure it out on the fly

but wouldn't the rack set up have a better quality sound??? I have never used a rack setup...
Depends, a good rack is gunna sound better than a MG stack. It's personal preference if you're spending thousands on it.

You don't need a stack though, a single 4x12 would be more than enough.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by SnakeHandler
but wouldn't the rack set up have a better quality sound??? I have never used a rack setup...

it all depends on what you want and get
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
If you want to run 2-4x12's, then having the ability to utilize stereo effects would be using 2 cabs to the fullest.

Wether you need all' that gear for a 300 seat dirtbag club is beside the point. No crappy, boxy ass sounding 1x12 combo will ever sound as good as 8-12" speakers. You don't need to blast the roof off' the place just because you have the power to do it. If you want to know what a rockstar rig sounds like, having 2-4x12 cabs in stereo will get you there.

Having some corksniffer tell you you're not getting the best tone because you can't get into power clip in a tiny club is just splitting hairs. You'll still sound better than a washy combo...

The short long of this would to pick up a JMP-1 preamp, and a Marshall EL34 50/50, or 100/100. The 50/50 would get you into power amp distortion quicker, and is still plenty loud for a bonzo drummer. I'm sure the JMP-1 preamp will get the same tones as a DSL. It has a ton of gain if you need it, and you can program everything. That means you're not stuck with 2 channels like you would be if you ran just a DSL. You can program all of you effects to go with each tone you make, so you don't have to worry about stomping shitty pedals. You can just hit 1 button on your MIDI controller.

Plus, having 1 rack will be less gear than 2 heads, and a plague of crappy floor pedals. Moreover, you'll have a good rack to protect everything.

Lets be honest. If you had the opportunity to own a amp and a cab, or a rockstar setup, which one would you choose?

If you have the money to go rack, then go rack. You'll be able to tweak your sound more, and could program your sounds and switch them via a midi footswitch. Also, having a rack will be a lot tidier than a stack and a bunch of effects pedals.
Quote by AdamDK
If you have the money to go rack, then go rack. You'll be able to tweak your sound more, and could program your sounds and switch them via a midi footswitch. Also, having a rack will be a lot tidier than a stack and a bunch of effects pedals.

.... thats only if you buy a multi-fx rack processor! (at least the pedals)

I personally do not recommend getting a DSL as there are so many better options out there for the same price you'd pay for one.

What kind of music are you playing?
Quote by Highwaytohell

I personally do not recommend getting a DSL as there are so many better options out there for the same price you'd pay for one.

Well, I was assuming that he would be interest in a multi-fx rack if he gone rack. My bad for jumping to conclusions.
Quote by Highwaytohell

I like to play a ton of different styles, that is why I need the effects and can't really rely on just a head unit. I enjoy playing styles such as...srv or eagles, to metallica or pantera, also like to play alot of 'hair band' styles. I have a WIDE variety of stuff to play.
Well, as you play a wide variety of stuff, a rack setup will probably be better as you could tweak it more, find the tones you need, and if you have a multi-fx rack effect, use a midi controller to switch between different effects and channels.
Quote by AdamDK
Well, I was assuming that he would be interest in a multi-fx rack if he gone rack. My bad for jumping to conclusions.

and yes I would be getting a mulit-fx rack...just not real sure as to what kind of midi controller to get...ain't really familiar with them and don't know if one brand or style will work with a different brand of fx unit.
I'm not very educated with racks, so I don't really know what controllers would work or anything either, but I know enough to know they can switch between lots of channels and effects providing they work with your multi-fx rack.
The other thing I like about the idea of a rack system is if I want the sound of solid state I can use the multi-fx unit as a pre-amp and if I want a tube sound I can add in the tube pre-amp and still run them together....without buying another 1500.00 head.
there is also another angle to look at . Say you look at something like the rocktron prophesy 2, which is a preamp with several effects already in it. limitless tone options with several parameters to tweak, all done on the fly by a midi controller after you have your tones programmed in. you can either go straight from the preamp to record, or speakers to play live.
The other side of the sound is whats actually being produced, coming from the speakers. If you bought a powered speaker with three different sized speakers(we're talking PA type speakers), you will maximize your signal. Inherently guitar speakers are meant to emphasize certain frequencies better than others, therefore the different size in speakers. with a powered speaker, you could have all of your signal being reproduced from the preamp due to the wider frequency response. I've been doing my homework on this lately and I think I am actually going to go this route. It's something to look into though if your looking for the best way to maximize your sound.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Why did you bump this thread? It's like 2 weeks old.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by leadfootdriver

Wether you need all' that gear for a 300 seat dirtbag club is beside the point. No crappy, boxy ass sounding 1x12 combo will ever sound as good as 8-12" speakers. You don't need to blast the roof off' the place just because you have the power to do it. If you want to know what a rockstar rig sounds like, having 2-4x12 cabs in stereo will get you there.

Having some corksniffer tell you you're not getting the best tone because you can't get into power clip in a tiny club is just splitting hairs. You'll still sound better than a washy combo...

Oh cmon - dont be so melodramatic - where the hell do you play? None of these places have PAs?

Have you seen what "rockstars" gig with?

Brian May - Vox AC30s
The Edge - AC30s
Page today - Orange 30w for rhythm and clean sounds
SRV - Fender 2x12s

You are stuck in the world of Motley Crue or something

No where would that sound better than a great combo - either the place would be too small and it would sound too big and soundwaves would be pushed all over the place or the place would be out-doors or over 300seater places in which case you need a PA to mic it up anyway.

The last person who ran unmic'ed stacks like that were Hendrix and The Who - and to the audience the mix was crap - all guitar or nothing.

Get a grip - i can't see your audience being amazing by your "band" sound.
what do you mean stuck in the world of the crue?
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
^ The wall of amps joke?

Should have i just said Spinal Tap to make it easier?
lol i love that movie i like when the bassist gets stuck in the egg thing
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!