Ive decided well, its not really a decision, ive been doing iot for months but, im working on technique more then songs, going on scales, excercises, and just plainly pushing myself, but is there anyone who does this partly or is doing it now?
I learn technique more than songs so I can write my own songs. I see really no point in learning other peoples songs, unless you have to cover it for a band. Oh well, I prefer to write than to play.

And that's why I learn technique and theory.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I learn technique more than songs so I can write my own songs. I see really no point in learning other peoples songs, unless you have to cover it for a band. Oh well, I prefer to write than to play.

And that's why I learn technique and theory.

Learning a song that you know is abit beyond your ability is usually just as good as practising technique in my book. As long as you dont skip the bits you find difficult it all helps.
well once i realized that i'll probably never be able to do sweep picking or play as fast as rusty cooley I decided to learn other difficult techniques that don't require quite as much speed. Like chickin' pickin (hybrid picking), slapping (ala buckethead), and 6-8 finger tapping (ala buckethead). It works for me
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by CircleThisCity
Learning a song that you know is abit beyond your ability is usually just as good as practising technique in my book. As long as you dont skip the bits you find difficult it all helps.

I know, but if I do that, I only learn that bit, there wouldn't be much use in anything else. As bad as it seems, it's what I do.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I know, but if I do that, I only learn that bit, there wouldn't be much use in anything else. As bad as it seems, it's what I do.

This is only really true if you don't really understand what you're doing; if you think about what you're doing and how to apply it to other situations then learning the right parts of songs and running exercises might as well be the same thing. Only if you learn songs you might see another player's perspective on the use of a technique so you might open up new avenues of playing for yourself.

But whatever, I'm not going to start a songs/exercises debate.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either approach to practice as long as you really understand what you're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.