Alright this isn't intended to start a flame war so, if it does could it be closed?

Well when I get my next bass (probably something like a Warwick Corvette or a MM SUB) I am going to go to www.gak.co.uk and spend £169 on a Thunderbird VI have I gone insane? No.

Personally I believe this bass 'could' be good if it was fixed. So what I plan to do is to get a four point bridge to avoid the popping off issue. I will then move the strap button to try to prevent some of the neck dive. As for the crappy pickups I plan to buy some jazz pickups or another alternative that fits fairly well in the thunderbirds pickup cavities, routing can be done if need be. I also plan to refinish it all after I have made the upper fret access better with a saw. After this I will paint it white or black and string it up with elites and hope it works. This is just for a light hearted bit of fun and will not be my main bass just a backup or something.

What do you think of this stupidly big waste of money?

Edit: this is mainly because I feel a lump of alder or whatever they use in it now days isn't a bad thing to have a project bass with. Plus I can make it better
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Sep 27, 2008,
It's a damn sexy bass anyway, and not a bad sounding one, I've played them a few times and considered getting one.

Not sure about the mods, I'd be careful with what you do 'cause you could **** it up big time.
I personally find the shape nice, but I feel epiphone/gibson don't do the bass justice so I want to actually see if they can be good with decent electronics/fixed flaws.

If it doesn't happen I think I'll just bin it.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

if rywad can make a good thunderbird, he will become bass forum legend
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
i like your ideas but doesnt the bridge have to be quite high up for the neck
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by CaptainJack666
if rywad can make a good thunderbird, he will become bass forum legend

Spector have already beaten him to it.

Rywad, if you're going to do this in the future sometime, I may be making pickups - give me a shout if that's the case and I might be able to set you up with some that would fit in a T-Bird with no routing.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Will do Nutter, I'm still gonna do this. I need something to kill some time and it'll be for the good of mankind well bass-kind. But really seeing as how cheap the thunderbird is I just thought "pfft why not" I'll assure you, you'll get a picture thread of me unveiling the monster and making it better. Its all down to when I can get my new bass sorted, its my birthday in November so that should be when I get my next bass and some extra money so it'll all be good. I'm thinking this will probably cost me about an extra £100/150 on top of the money spent on the bass. I'm earning more than the whole cost a month so hopefully I'll be able to show some progress soon. Need to get my new bass first though :P

i like your ideas but doesnt the bridge have to be quite high up for the neck

Well at the moment I'm thinking of getting something like a standard fender bass bridge and sticking it on and making sure all the measurements are right, but if I need to raise it i'll get a small square of wood slightly bigger than the bridge and screw it to the body. It won't be pretty but if I paint it right it should look.. Alright.

Look at this... 'Beauty'

Also gonna cut a chunk of wood off the headstock as well... May as well reduce the weight and make it look more athesticly pleasing.

Also the only problem with making the fret access better is the pickguard... But I expect I could do some kind of lovely customised one.

Well...in my opinion when you get to the point where you are changing out basically every part on the bass and then taking a SAW TO IT... you may be going a bit overboard.

Well the saw part is more to stop one of its annoying flaws, the fact the higher frets are near inaccessable. But I may not do that but I might do something else depending on what happens when I get the bass. I can't think of the name for it, but I'll say so when I remember.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by Nutter_101
Spector have already beaten him to it.

No, spector somehow managed to make a supposedly very good looking bass into one of the ugliest basses ever made, thus taking away the point of it to begin with:

"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
No, spector somehow managed to make a supposedly very good looking bass into one of the ugliest basses ever made, thus taking away the point of it to begin with:

That is so much hotter than a TBird, sorry to say.

Aaaaaand all this is opnion. You might think that I'm wrong, I may think you're wrong, but you can't attack me for it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
That is so much hotter than a TBird, sorry to say.

Aaaaaand all this is opnion. You might think that I'm wrong, I may think you're wrong, but you can't attack me for it.

Really?

Because I would rather be seen with a steaming turd in my hands than that...
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Wouldn't it make more sense just to buy a nicer bass in the first place then fix up a crappy one that you may break?
In any case, go for it if your gut tells you to.

'Cos its not my money.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by MattAC
Wouldn't it make more sense just to buy a nicer bass in the first place then fix up a crappy one that you may break?

I'm gonna buy a Warwick Corvette (or something else but i'm loving the 'vette at the mo) in a few weeks, so this is just for the hell of it.

I think I could make this into a good bass so I may as well try.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by Captain Insano
Do a reverse T-bird. Would help the balance issue.

Isn't that a Fender Jaguar?
Quote by Belgian Bastard
Isn't that a Fender Jaguar?

Yeah, but it's more angular. Therefore far more br00tal.
Quote by wouldyakindly

That's horrible, at least the Thunderbird looks hawt
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by wouldyakindly

It's a shame because the paint job is amazing.
Quote by wouldyakindly

Not only does the body look disturbing, it looks like sombody threw up on it.
But yeah, if you can aford to play around with this, I say go for it.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
Quote by __Ronnie__

If it was solid black then it would look a little better IMO. I think the paint job it has, is kinda ugly. Its hard to explain, I think its cool as a piece of art, but it as a bass is ugly.
Quote by __Ronnie__

I think this looks far better than the standard thunderbird, which I think are ugly as sin.

This also looks playable. You can actually get past the 15th fret.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Are you going to turn it into an angular telecaster? Cause that's the only way i can see how to make better upper fret access and still look ok.
I'm gonna see what I can do when I get it, at the moment I've got an idea but I'm not sure if it'll work.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

I have an idea to make the bridge more visually pleasing. You could make the square piece of wood about half a centimeter out from each side and then sand the edges so that it looks like it's risen out of the body. With the mods you're doing, a swirl paintjob would make this pretty hardcore.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
i dont see why he would have to put a chunk of wood underneath the bridge. the bridge on my t'bird is at a similar height to my jazz.

Just whack a badass on it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
i dont see why he would have to put a chunk of wood underneath the bridge. the bridge on my t'bird is at a similar height to my jazz.

Just whack a badass on it.

x

Thats what I was thinking
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab