Title pretty much says it all. I'm a newb when it comes to recording equipment and software but I have the keyboard already.
What I don't know about is the cables, interfaces and software I'm gonna need to buy. Pretty much, what the hell am I gonna need if I want to start recording synth tracks etc with my keyboard? If it's not too much trouble

Also, I'll be using a mac.
what type of board are you using?

Basics you will need is a midi or usb interface for the board. Then a program to run it with. A vsti and a host program, or a standalone, such as Reason.

We are going to need more info in order to do anything else for you.
Ok, sorry. I'm using a a Yamaha DGX 500 which I've had for about 5 years. I'll also be using logic pro for editing/ recording.

What Midi usb interfaces are out there and how does the quality vary?
I have never worked with a Midi to usb interface however they are pretty straight forward.
Midi out on the Yamaha to usb in on the comp. = done

Since I have never used logic I am not sure if there are built in sounds or not. I would assume that there are but ehh.... what do I know.
Your going to have to find a vsti/some other program that allows for you to play more sounds.

Once your plugged in and synced to Logic with a sound up, all you should have to do is hit record and then play.
Stick this in your keyboard and computer, and that should be it. Afterwards, get a good DAW that can handle software instruments. A really good one is MOTU's Digital Performer...Ableton and Cubase are other solid choices too. I recommend trying them out in a Guitar Center or trying out demos before deciding. Pro Tools is actually horrible with MIDI.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Yep. And Logic has plenty of decent built in synths so you shouldn't have any problems there.
There is poetry in despair.