Heres the deal

I wanna start an AC/DC cover band, I've already got a drummer and I play guitar, but the only other guitarist who could possibly play rhythm is definitely not able to do the leads. I want to know how hard the leads are to play because, I don't want to commit to something I can't do.

Skill level:

The hardest solo I could ever play is the "rock you like a hurricane" intro solo, the uber fast part at the end is still a little sketchy but I could get it in a month if I was still into scorpion. The drummer and I can pretty much play back in black, I'm still missing the chorus cause I'm lazy, and we're missing a solo.

Do you guys think I'm not yet good enough to play most of AC/DC's songs?

P.S.: I'm talking most of their songs as in the ones that don't have crazy ass solos. Whole lotta rosie and stuff like that is still beyond me.
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
dont learn the solos, do your own stuff, its all in pentatonic scales, learn those than all the solos will be easy
Angus Young is not a very talented guitarist and his leads are mostly just pentatonic stuff. However if you can't play them, you probably need some more work on your playing before you join a band with a focus on solos.
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
they are pretty easy if you can get use to the chord patterns
my hovercraft is full of eels
do you think you could handle the shook me all night long solo cause thats about as easy as they get
Quote by Lydian_Mode
Angus Young is not a very talented guitarist

What??? That is SO wrong.. just because he chooses to straight rock your balls off, which best suits the pentatonic, blues, and mixes of mixolydian and dorian, and doesn't make subjectively beautiful music with the Lydian mode, you think he lacks talent? Check yourself, buddy. Not many people can play like Angus, his technique is very controlled, has excellent bending and vibrato and knows exactly what the hell he's doing.

Anyway, if you want to learn Angus's solos you should be familiar with the pentatonic scales, major and minor. Even though they share the same shapes they're very different. Play a lick in A minor pent, then A major pent and you should notice the difference. Just start learning some of his licks and practice getting right intonation on bends, and vibrato. You have to know how to make a lick sound bluesy, like slightly bending notes like minor third, fourth, minor seventh, second and whatever else you think sounds good. If you bend just a little bit, the notes going to sound tense like it wants to go somewhere else. That's a big part of playin Angus's style of blues. Theres actually a 'blue note' a little ways above the minor third, so try incorporate some of that stuff. The best way to learn is through imitation.. 'cut your teeth' as they say.

Edit: Oh, and get together some of his licks that you can repeat a few times quickly for those moments when you're feeling intense lol. Stuff like this:

e-------5------------
b-8b10-----8p5-------
g------------------------
d------------------------
a------------------------
e------------------------
Last edited by Ead at Sep 27, 2008,
Why not? He knows exactly what he wants to play and he does it. and does it very well. John Petrucci might be more diverse because you could say he's into a more intense mystical mysterious soul consuming span of sounds or whatever, but that doesn't make him more special than Angus. They both spent years getting their stuff together and it'd be hard as hell for folk like us to imitate it spot on. People can say Angus's solos are theoretically garbage if they want, but they just can't rock like him. Probably because they aren't into that style of music, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I think it's silly to look down on another style just because it's not as diverse or theoretically advanced as another. That said, I think an AC/DC cover band is a noble thing to do. long as the songs arent butchered

EDIT: sorry threadstarter, I was going to answer your question in my first post but my browser crashed when I tried to edit it. It shouldn't be too hard for you to break into some of Angus's solos, start with his easier ones, like Shook Me All Night Long, Get It Hot, Love Hungry Man etc. Once you build up a repertoire of his stuff, start examing his licks and what notes he's choosing, like did he do a dorian bluesy bend there, or is he in major pentatonic? When you get really familiar with his licks you should be able to play a simple solo after just hearing it, but that could take a while. I learned the Get It Hot solo as I played along with the song, because I'd already heard it lots of times and instinctively knew what notes to hit. The thing with Angus's soloing style, or any other really, is you have to be familiar with how things are going to sound before you play it. And the best way to do that is to learn as many solos as you can
Last edited by Ead at Sep 27, 2008,
Quote by Lydian_Mode
Angus Young is not a very talented guitarist and his leads are mostly just pentatonic stuff. However if you can't play them, you probably need some more work on your playing before you join a band with a focus on solos.

Angus > you
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ead
Why not? He knows exactly what he wants to play and he does it. and does it very well. John Petrucci might be more diverse because you could say he's into a more intense mystical mysterious soul consuming span of sounds or whatever, but that doesn't make him more special than Angus.

He meant that he isn't technically proficient, or at least his solos don't require a great degree of technical proficiency. Do you disagree with that?
Also, comparing him to John Petrucci is a pretty bad idea when the argument was about the technicality of the music.
Quote by Lydian_Mode

I haven't tried an AC/DC solo in a year
Quote by SamuelBirkett

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
He didn't say technically proficient. He said 'special'. And his solos require a good amount of techincal proficiency, because if you don't know what your'e doing its gonna sound like shit. Granted not as much as JP, but he used the word special. come on. special? I don't beleive being special has anything to do with technical proficiency. Bob Dylan is special isn't he? He's made beautiful songs and you don't have to be JP to pull them off. special is about what your music brings to the table, and since Angus pioneered their style of ballsy rock that no one else can imitate well and makes millions of people headbang and go crazy, I'd say he's damn special.
-.- My thread has been hijacked. It is now "debate Angus Young"
Quote by SamuelBirkett

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
The original question in the thread was whether or not the TS would be skilled enough to play these solos, thus, the context of Lydian Mode's post was technical proficiency. He might not have used the term "technically proficient", but surely that was the implication? There was no need to have a mini rant about Petrucci's "intense mystical mysterious soul consuming span of sounds".
Sorry for hijacking and ranting.. it's a rainy day and I get carried away sometimes. I did try to answer the question in my second post though. You're right Mayano, my mini rant was unjustified. But I think a comment like soandso doesn't have much talent is phrased extremely poorly and was probably intended like you said, but really says something else. Anyway, I'll stop now, heh..
Quote by Ead
Sorry for hijacking and ranting.. it's a rainy day and I get carried away sometimes. I did try to answer the question in my second post though. You're right Mayano, my mini rant was unjustified. But I think a comment like soandso doesn't have much talent is phrased extremely poorly and was probably intended like you said, but really says something else. Anyway, I'll stop now, heh..

It ain't that big of a deal, also, points to you for defending Angus against this loser who obviously doesn't know too much about Angus.
Quote by SamuelBirkett

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
None of the ACDC solo's I've come across are overly fast, though Angus does throw in a lot of pentatonic runs in a lot of songs. You'll want to try and achieve a fast agressive vibrato like Angus used. Most of his solo's are based on pentatonic scales, often just moved up an octave during the solo. The hard part here is getting the sound, not nailing the solo note for note. And if there is a fast lick somewhere in there, you can always change it around a bit. You'll be fine.
Not a huge fan of bees
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The intro to "'Hurricane" is faster than anything I've heard from AC/DC.

The fastest passage in that intro would be sixteenth notes = 4 per beat.

The fastest passages in Back in Black solos (both middle and outro) are sextuplets = 6 per beat.
oops, I'm wrong. I was doing it by memory and forgot about the super fast part in Hurricane towards the end of intro, right before singing starts.

reminder to self: listen to song before posting about it.
Angus' solos are just minor pentatonic with heaps of bends, not too difficult! Just improvise around the pentatonic scale and it will sound pretty authentic anyway
No offense, man, but if you're not sure you can play the solos....you're probably not ready to play the solos in a cover band, or even your versions of the solos (much more rewarding ultimately for you and listeners, if done in the spirit of the originals).

Is Angus a madly technical proficient guitar player....not in the strictest sense. (I'm not trying to hijack this thread, let me get to my point.....) However, his comfort zone at what he does with his proficiency is 110%, which allows him to be himself when he plays. If you can't feel confident about playing in his style without asking strangers if you can, you're not ready to take on his role musically in a cover band of his songs.
Quote by Lydian_Mode

Wow. Did you ever see him play live. Whats wrong with all pentatonics they are perfect for his songs which are bluesy rock. Hes extremly talented. Lets see you play like him while running around like a madman. Lets see you play a pentatonic scale based solo as well as him while your dancing and wearing a tie. Just because its a simple scale doesnt make him not talented. Thats a very closed minded way to think. I guess claptons not so great either then. Seriously lets hear your recordings. They better be damn good if you going to say shit like this^.

I guess you can buy a 20$ theory book call yourself lydian mode and think that you are smarter and more talented then a rock legend.

TS the cover bands that play at shitty bars in my area for like 7$ nail the songs spot on. Theres an ACDC and OZZY cover band they both are amazing. If you cant do ti right dont do it. THey have signature guitars dress up like the real artists and sound very very realistic to the cd recordings. Can your singer do a good impression? You would have to dress up like angus and run around and act like him to be a good cover band. If you can nail the solo standing still big deal you still wont please the crowd. If you dont do that your wouldnt make it in my area at all not even in a bar. I live in New England. Look up Believer , Badfish , Dirty Deeds if you want to see some of the cover bands that play cheep around here. They are all amazing.

Maybe just keep learning and play a mix of songs by many artists ( and possibly orignals eventually) and be a party band or whathave you I really wouldn't recommend calling yourself a cover band unless your top notch. Unless you live somehwere where its dead as far as bands. I dont mean to sound like a jerk and burst your bubble but just telling you how it is hear in New England in Oklahoma or Nebraska it could be totally differnt i dont know.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Oct 2, 2008,
http://www.dirtydeedstribute.com/Band/Bottom/Band%20Gallery/mg83108/index.htm
These guys play at a shitty bar 5 mintues from my house for 7$ cover charge. Notice how they dress up and do it right. You have to act like the band if you want to be a cover band of just one band. If you wont/cant do that then you are not a good tribute band and people will be disappointed. If you dont want to do this^ Then like i said just cover some of there songs and others from other bands you like but dont devote yourself to being an all ACDC tribute band.
Angus is great guitarist we should all admit this , checck out Whole lotta Rosie if u r complaining of how slow he is