OK so my dad's friend has a 57 strat reissue that he's willing to sell to him for 500 bucks, but I went to a music store in my city the other day and they had a 1959 gibson melody maker. from what i hear, they are pretty good guitars, and seeing that this is a 59, its a bit ruff, while the strat is basically mint. I dont want to hurt my dads feelings, so should i just get the strat, or be an ass and get the melody maker?
Why are you reading this?
id probably take the strat
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Strat for sure, dude; more versatile, and that's a good deal he's offering.

Especially if it's mint.
melody makers were really cheap guitars back in the day right? i thought they were made so people could afford a gibson without spending much money. if thats the case, id take the strat since its actually good quality and whatnot
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat. Even if it is a Reissue, its much more versatile, and the quality probably will be better. Melody Makers were Gibson's entry-level, beginners guitar back then.
ok, thanks guys for the opinions, yeah i think im gonna go with the strat.
is it a real melody maker or one of the reissues? The reissues are only like $385, but an original one should be pretty expensive
Quote by tomin8r
its an original.

get it. How much is it? I know I saw a 60s SG Jr the other day, kinda simular guitar for $4000
its in decent condition, and i would have to bargain for the price, which is kinda stupid, im gessing it would be aroun 800, out of my range
First off, you're a liar. A 1959 Melody Maker is actually called a Les Paul, not a Melody Maker. Plus the pickup is a different size then they were in 1960 on.

If there is a store with a '59 buy it as it is super rare and they didn't make many at all. If you're not going to buy it I'm going to assume they're asking about 500 for it, as that is what the Strat will cost.

Post the number for the store if you're not going to buy it because I want it. If you do buy it, I'll give you $1000.00 for it today.
Quote by SenorSmiley
First off, you're a liar. A 1959 Melody Maker is actually called a Les Paul, not a Melody Maker. Plus the pickup is a different size then they were in 1960 on.

If there is a store with a '59 buy it as it is super rare and they didn't make many at all. If you're not going to buy it I'm going to assume they're asking about 500 for it, as that is what the Strat will cost.

Post the number for the store if you're not going to buy it because I want it. If you do buy it, I'll give you $1000.00 for it today.

finally someone understands...
Quote by SenorSmiley

Alright first off, dont call me a liar. it is a melody maker, google it. Secondly, im not going to by it because the price could be anywhere from 600 to 1500 bucks. and im assuming you want the phone number for the store, its in canada, so il pm u the number.
I'm waiting for that PM. Heck, I'll give him 1500 today and pay the shipping to Canada. If it's a 59 It's not a melody maker, it should have a Les Paul decal on it.

Oh, and to the simp - an SG Junior is nothing like a Melody Maker.

Again, you didn't send me a PM please post the number or PM it to me.

The Gibson Melody Maker was first launched in 1959 and discontinued in 1971. The first year (1959) Melody Makers were a model name of the Les Paul. In 1960 it was given it's own marque
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Sep 27, 2008,
i sent a pm, meh il just post the number
1 705 942 8308

yeah i agree, its nothing like a melody maker. its a 59, thats what the dude at the music store said on the phone.
No - an SG Junior is an SG with one pickup.

A MM is a thin mahogany body. All the electronics are installed on the front of the guitar by the pick guard. The neck/headstock angle are different from a LP. In 1966 they changed them to look more like an SG. They also have single coil pickups.

Get a clue.
They are the same basic concept, they even called the MM the Les Paul for a year. They were both beginner guitars based of popular Gibson models. Yes the body construction differed since they are two different guitars. But they are both stripped down student models and while not as coveted as their big brothers, they still hold a decent value. That was my point of mentioning it. I was saying to the TS that if there a MM for $500, get it over a reissue strat, since the most recent information I saw about old student model Gibsons say that that guitar is worth a lot more than $500
you gonna buy that guitar senorsmiley?
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"