Help me figure out DNS shit and why Firefox and Google Chrome won't work?

I must have some sort of network problem preventing Firefox and Google Chrome (and Google Earth) from accessing the internet, but I don't know enough about network stuff to take care of it myself. Everything else on my computer works fine - Trillian, Steam, uTorrent, other random things that access the internet, I'm typing this from Internet Explorer.

First off, where do I start?

Little info: All computers running XP, this computer is connected wirelessly to another computer through a wireless router, that computer runs Firefox fine, dunno about other computers, but most likely they work too.

Thanks!
Turn it off and on again. If that doesn't work, nothing will
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Kick the PC it always works.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Check what programs your anti-virus and firewall block, it may be that when you initially put them on your system they were blocked and thus cannot be used.

Do that then come back if it doesn't work.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Make sure that your router has the correct ports open. Also, there's a known issue with ZoneAlarm. If you're using it, lose it.

Other than that.....
RTFM
make sure you aren't trying to connect through a proxy when you don't have one.

Tools>Options>Advanced>Network>Settings>No Proxy
The only firewall I've is ZoneAlarm, however I got that after the Firefox and Chrome problems came up. Still, what would you recommend in it's place?

I've stopped it from running/exited out and still have Firefox problems, so I don't think it's that. I've also checked proxy settings and Firefox is not trying to use one.

Any more ideas?
go to your start, click run then type "cmd" and type ipconfig into it and thats your internet info, also chrome sucks just use firefox.
^Try doing what he said, but type ipconfig /release instead

Let it do it's things then type ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work, nothing will
Quote by Freddedonna
^Try doing what he said, but type ipconfig /release instead

Let it do it's things then type ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work, nothing will

what does that release do? i dont want to do it lol.
Well if you just do the release step your internet won't work at all

But if you do the renew after, it basically renews your IP and all that internet stuff and you'Re usually good to go after.
Well dudes, I tired the /release /renew stuff, and I still do not have working Firefox

Any more ideas? I also did it on the computer that I was having IP conflicts with before. Any point in trying it on the computer the wireless router is connected physically to?

EDIT: I also uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, but still no worko.
Last edited by Habit Zero at Sep 27, 2008,
Just installed Safari and it has the same problem Computers are geh, but I still want to be with them.
Have you tried doing a hard reset on your router (pushing the reset button for at least 30 seconds?). This reset the router to it's factory settings (on most models at least).
Quote by Freddedonna
Have you tried doing a hard reset on your router (pushing the reset button for at least 30 seconds?). This reset the router to it's factory settings (on most models at least).

No I haven't. Do you mean the wireless router, or the broadband router?

BTW, Firefox and Safari work on the other computers.
Quote by RPGoof

I honestly don't even know what DNS is yet, so I'm not sure what to do with that haha. I've never been the one to do our network stuff, so I haven't had to learn.
You only have one router (which is the one providing wireless). The other one is a modem.

Try resetting the router and come back after
HOLY HELL BATMAN!

I got it working again. The messed up Norton was the problem! I downloaded the Norton uninstaller tool on another program and just ran it. Everything works as it should, I'm so damn happy.

Thank you everyone for all your help

While I'm here though, I do now need a good Firewall program, and a good Virus scanner.
Quote by Habit Zero
HOLY HELL BATMAN!

I got it working again. The messed up Norton was the problem! I downloaded the Norton uninstaller tool on another program and just ran it. Everything works as it should, I'm so damn happy.

Thank you everyone for all your help

While I'm here though, I do now need a good Firewall program, and a good Virus scanner.

YOU HAD NORTON AND DIDN'T EVEN TELL US!!!

Anyway, you don't need another firewall dude. You're behind a router which already has one, and the Windows firewall (assuming you're on windows). 3 Firewalls is a little overkill

As for the virus scanner, "buy" NOD32. It's the shizznit.
Quote by Freddedonna
YOU HAD NORTON AND DIDN'T EVEN TELL US!!!

Anyway, you don't need another firewall dude. You're behind a router which already has one, and the Windows firewall (assuming you're on windows). 3 Firewalls is a little overkill

As for the virus scanner, "buy" NOD32. It's the shizznit.

I was so certain I mentioned how Norton messed up in this thread! Dang lol. It must have been the one I made on GameFAQS before, which got me barely any help (The Pit > GFAQS' PC board when it comes to matters of the PC).

Sorry haha.

NOD32? K, koo. Lol that sounds retarded.