I have 1500 euro to spend on a amp, maximum ( head+ cab or a combo )

Is a ENGL Screamer 50 combo considered a good versatile amp? Does it have killer tone for metal?

Ive also been looking at the fireball+cab, but it seems its only br00tal metal or sparkling clean on that one
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Last edited by Jaekae at Sep 27, 2008,
Are you dead set on an Engl? I haven't personally heard one (Screamer 50) so take this comment with a grain of salt, but I know people who have and their response was pretty much "meh" across the board (cleans good, overdrive not so much). So bascially it was good, but not spectacular. The Fireball/cab route might be a better choice. If you want versitile the Blackmoore is pretty versitile. The Steve Morse sig. Engl is a killer amp and VERY versitile, but both are getting up there in price. I was surprised to see Judas Priest using Engl's now. Glenn Tipton signature amp would be a sweet idea!
I myself owned a Screamer not to long ago and for metal it is awsome but I personly think that it can only be used for heavy rythm and not much lead since I find it to be to stiff. You should try it out yourself ofcourse. The clean channel is actually very good for a high gain amp of this caliber.

And remember that when buying this amp you get the "Engl sound".

That's my view on it.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
im pretty much set on engl yes, i want a amp that doesnt have to be cranked to sound awesome, and i need good cleans

and the engls is a big bang for the buck if i buy em from germany,

i will be able to try a fireball out when i come back from the seas in 3 weeks ^^
but thats the only engl thats available in the stores at my city

the blackmore is 100euro more than the fireball and is probably the most expensive i can reach
how is that one compared to the fireball?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard