I am selling my Marshall DSL 401 for a Fender amp. I went to guitar center and fell in love with the Hot Rod Deluxe. I'm just wandering if this is my best bet. I'm gonna have my next amp for a long time so I wanna get something I'll be happy with.

Suggestions?

EDIT:

I'm going to have about $500 after I sell my marshall. I'll have $100 more to put into it probably. (I'm buying used from ebay if I have to)

Basically, I'm deciding between:

Hot Rod Deluxe

Hot Rod Deville

Blues Reissue (? don't know the exact name)

I want the best clean tone. I'll have to buy pedals for heavier stuff.

I play lots of Mayer, Hendrix, Chili Peppers, Classic Rock, and some new stuff to. I play gigs occasionally. I play in a band regularly. My marshall has always been plenty loud enough for the gigs I do and it seems to keep up when playing with the band.
Last edited by reilly91 at Sep 27, 2008,
Blues Deville 410. So sexy! Don't ask questions, just do it.
The setup:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (midnight wine)
Fender Blues DeVille 410
Digitech GNX3 Multi-effect
Fender CD140SCE Acoustic-Electric
The Hot Rod Deluxe is an amp for cleans, which it does brilliantly. You'll need a pedal for any sort of good overdrive because the built-in drive channel is pretty lame.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
the hot rod devilles are great. i havent tried the blues version but im guessng its about the same
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
For clean sound anything will do but as already said you MUST get a distortion or overdrive pedal to "replace" the overdrive channel they have. If you're thinkin of buying a Hot Rod I would say you could aswell get a Blues JR. It's 15w but will do more than enough I think. and you could use the extra cash for a good distortion box!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
I just watched a vid on youtube that makes me really want a Fender Blues amp now. I really don't think a Blues JR. will be loud enough for jamming with my band. The other guitarist has a 40 watt (tube of course) and is buying a new amp soon that will be at least 50w. I don't want to fall behind in the pack, and if my amp isn't loud enough, I know thats whats gonna happen.

So, how does the Blues Deluxe compare to the Blues Deville? I doubt I'll be able to afford a Blues Deville right now.
I have a Blues Jr. It can get quite loud. I rarely turn it up past 4.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Can't you get more for your Marshall?

If you can, I suggest you get a Supersonic and a 2x12 cab.

That's way over budget, though.

Also, if you're willing to go used, grab a SF Bassman 50.
Used Reverb series, best cleans Fender makes after the Showman.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
i like the deluxe better. 10" speakers are liek wtf really twangy.
or you can get the hot rod 212.

awesome cleans, od is aight
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I have about the same amount of money you have but if you want a clean tone. 65 Twin Reverb it's 1300$ lol but yea... I'm getting the 59 Bassman and I don't even have enough but I'm still getting it
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Fender '60s Reverse Headstock Strat
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
RP250 DigiTech Effects Pedal
DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
I have the same question and didn't see the need to start a thread about it.

Sorry for the hijack

I'm going to be playin some blues clubs next year and am debating between a
Fender of some kind, specifically between a classic players 50s Tele, highway one tele, or the strat equivalent (opinions? There always are)

And amp. I figure a HotRod will be plenty loud enough, and driven by a TS type pedal sounds amazing, but I am looking for a really punchy amp with some dynamics. I like playin with attack on the strings and I like my amp to show that. Any amp will be considered.

I am in Australia so things are much more expensive.
Quote by reilly91
I am selling my Marshall DSL 401 for a Fender amp. I went to guitar center and fell in love with the Hot Rod Deluxe. I'm just wandering if this is my best bet. I'm gonna have my next amp for a long time so I wanna get something I'll be happy with.

Suggestions?

EDIT:

I'm going to have about $500 after I sell my marshall. I'll have $100 more to put into it probably. (I'm buying used from ebay if I have to)

Basically, I'm deciding between:

Hot Rod Deluxe

Hot Rod Deville

Blues Reissue (? don't know the exact name)

I want the best clean tone. I'll have to buy pedals for heavier stuff.

I play lots of Mayer, Hendrix, Chili Peppers, Classic Rock, and some new stuff to. I play gigs occasionally. I play in a band regularly. My marshall has always been plenty loud enough for the gigs I do and it seems to keep up when playing with the band.

Honestly, the DSL you have now is a better amp for what you want than the Hot Rod which isn't all that great. The cleans ARE fantastic, and it breaks up nicely but like people have said the drive channel sucks and in all honesty it's simply not cut out for gainier tones, pedals or no. If you want a new amp then get something better, not a sideways step - save up a bit more and get the Traynor YCV40.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ljohn
I have the same question and didn't see the need to start a thread about it.

Don't you want help? This forum was created for people to post questions like this.

EDIT:

thanks steven, I'll take a look at the Traynor
Last edited by reilly91 at Sep 27, 2008,
reilly91, if you can, look used. I have seen the YCV40 go for $300-400 depending on location. It's a good amp for what you play. Check your local craigslist if you can. Also a YCV50 would be worth checking out if you find one used. Good luck.
I have no problem buying used.

I've never really heard of Traynor amps. There's not many vids on youtube of them either. I don't think GC has any for me to test them out. Where could I hear one of these amps?

Would a traynor be a better option over a fender blues deville?
Quote by reilly91
I have no problem buying used.

I've never really heard of Traynor amps. There's not many vids on youtube of them either. I don't think GC has any for me to test them out. Where could I hear one of these amps?

Would a traynor be a better option over a fender blues deville?

I tried one at SamAsh, and one at GC. Both were used trade ins. What major city do you live near? Used amp markets vary greatly. Guys in Nashville and the west coast see some screamin deals. But it depends, if you are in Norway - it's another story...
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/823143135.html Blues Deville for $500.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/806361771.html Vox AC30 $600 - great amp for what you play. Get's my "best of show" vote here if it isn't sold. It's superior to the Blues Deville or the Traynors. You should try this, it's an incredible amp.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/855850821.html Vintage Fender Bassman Head, would need a 2x12 cab but the head is a good deal at $440. Great deal actually.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/843768585.html Vintage Super Reverb, asking $750.

These amps would need a good od to drive them. I only found one Traynor on the site, and it was out of budget. But call some local shops and see if they have any. SamAsh and GC are the usual suspects, but try Music Go Round if there is one near you.
Get the Vox that Greg has up.

Gatdam that's a good price
^^ Yea that's a "screamin deal" if anything. The Bassman head for $440 isn't shabby either, but the Vox is worth a call no doubt.