I've read on here a few threads where people have set fire to their guitars to relic them/make them different. I've just finished painting an old guitar, for the third time, but I'm not too keen on how it has came out again, so I had the thought of burning it, just so it look's different. Can anybody give me any tips on doing this? Do you cover it in in a flammable substance to set fire to it or just drop a match and let nature take it's course? I may not even do this, would just like to know for reference..

I googled this topic but nothing any information came up, it was mostly just documents on Hendrix burning his guitar..
Well I suppose if you remove all of your hardware and take of the neck, you could shave the paint off the body and flame the body but I don't know how it would turn out. Just don't let the wood actually catch fire if you do this.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Dude just look up what Jimi Hindrix did to his guitars.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Take the strings off and the pups out and all that shit then put lighter fluid on it and watch it so it doesnt totally go up in flames
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Just spray it with lighter fluid, throw a match on it, and writhe around on it like you're making love to it in the flames.

Thats how Jimi burns a guitar.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Just strip it down to nothing but the body and pour gas all over it! haha
Right now it is solid black with dodgy laquering, under the black is dark green, under that is lilac/gray primer, so if it burnt and left a mix of different colours it could look quite interesting. Any ideas on how long I would leave it in the fire, so to speak?
I'd suggest using a butane torch that's what our woodshop teacher had us do to make some of our projects look "cool". Are you going to put a clear coat or something over it I'd imagine it would be kind of messy after?
Quote by 420 FREAK
I'd suggest using a butane torch that's what our woodshop teacher had us do to make some of our projects look "cool". Are you going to put a clear coat or something over it I'd imagine it would be kind of messy after?

I'll probably clear up any flakes of paint, make sure it's smooth then lay down some laquer on top of it..
If you have any cologne laying around that people get you for Christmas for reasons unknow to you, seeing that you don't wear cologne, I'd use that. (That's what I did )
Quote by end_citizen
If you have any cologne laying around that people get you for Christmas for reasons unknow to you, seeing that you don't wear cologne, I'd use that. (That's what I did )

So you've burnt a guitar too? How did it come out? How long did you leave it for etc, pics?
i've seen lots of people do it by putting a flammable substance on the body and lighting it, but I think it'd be a better idea to take everything off as usual, then bolt a 2x4 or similar chunk of wood in the neck pocket, and hold it over an already lit fire..

I think you'd get more control over the burn that way...

I've never done it, though, so it's just a suggestion..
Dont over do it is all I can say

you dont want to alter the bridge mount, pup or neck routs in any way from buring it otherwise it wont set up properly when you bolt it back together and might ruin the guitar (that said you shouldn't be doing this on any guitar worth more than about $5 any way).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I made a fire in a pit and I held my guitar over it until I thought it looked done. My guitar was crap so I just used the neck to hold it over the fire. You could probably screw a plank of wood into the neck pocket and hold it over though.
you could strip the paint, then use a propane torch to toast the surface of the wood in a controlled pattern. then clear or tinted transparent urethane or lacquer.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
If i was going to burn a guitar, i'd take the jimi route, douse the front in lighter fluid, light it and get ready with a damp towel for when you think it's enough.

If you were to hold a guitar over a fire, you would be deciding where it gets burned, and i don't think it would be as cool, but whatever you wanna do man.

If you do it, we wanna see you on youtube toasting your nuts on it jimi style like someone else mentioned.
My Sig Is Coming Soon
Rory Gallagher's strat looked sorta burned out, looks a lot like the one Hendrix burned, but Rory's was just really worned out:

Jimi's guitar burned (here from some museum not sure if this is correct):

Oh my why would you burn your guitar anyway, keep it the way it is and just let it be worned out! Vintage style! Then when it's reached the end of its life burn it on stage!