Well, I've been looking at electric guitars for a while now, and I thought I had one chosen. The Les Paul Prophecy EX. I really love that guitar. But then reality hit, and now that I've come to realize that $700 dollars is a bit too much. (Once again, oh sweet Prophecy, fate has kept us apart ).

Oh well. So now I arrive at the quandry. How is the Les Paul Special-II? Obviously, I'm looking for a cheap guitar, but I don't want a crap one. Does it at least sound clean? I do like the looks of the black Special-II. Anyway, I just wanted the oppinion of a few people on the quality of the guitar. I'm also open to suggestions on other guitars in the same price range.
Last edited by Wee-Ooh at Sep 27, 2008,
I say no. Save up and at least get a Standard plain-top. Or, if you have to have a Les Paul shape, get an ESP EC-series guitar.
will this be your first guitar? second? what music style do you play?
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat (Undergoing Black strat relic)
Line 6 Spider III
Sqiuer SP-10

PSN: Thrasher122
It's the second cheapest Epi Les Paul (I think) so it's not gonna be too good. It's got a bolt-on neck too.
I actually haven't heard anything bad about it, but if you can, save a bit more for a LP Standard.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
I own this guitar, and let me tell you it is not the greatest. It's made of cheap material, my knobs became loose just a week in. One of the screws from my pickup came out like a month ago. The neck is really annoying. It's not as smooth as I though it would be. There's a buzz at 10e which can get to me a lot.

I'm thinking of keeping the body, replacing the pickups with something decent. (if anyone knows any please suggest) and doing decal work on it.

It's basically a rhythm guitar, I wouldn't recommend soloing on it and keep a backup in case you gig a lot.
I have an Agile AL-3100 which ran me for $380 and it kicks the Epi standard and Custom's ass. It's not just because I own it, since I put it next to a friend's almost identical Epi Custom and more than one preferred mine over his.

Can't go wrong with Agile, seriously.
I only have an acoustic guitar as of now. And I like to play metal. See the problem? XD But really the main reason isn't that I don't want to save up money, it's that it would take me an eternity O_o. I just turned old enough to get a job, but I don't have one yet, so it would take me forever to save up that amount of money with my allowance.

How is the Les Paul 100? That's kind of cheap...I'm really looking for something under $300.
I'd say get an Agile or a standard Les Paul (Epiphone). Much better quality and value for money. They'd be worth saving for.
*sigh* Can you take the pick guard off the Les Paul standard? The black one is ugly with the white hardware IMO...

Sorry if I was misleading lol. I don't do any gigs or anything as of yet. I'm kind of a novice.
You dont seem to get it

AGILE!
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I've owned a Les Paul Special II for three years now and it's my favorite guitar. I had an EC-1000 and a KH-202, but I still played my Les Paul a great deal more.
I have played a few les paul special-IIs and they have sucked. They have really bad pickups and arent comfy to play.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
lol Yeah, yeah. I know. I actually like the AL-2000, but it's just such a blatant rip-off I can't stand it. Call me shallow or whatever lol. I guess it's an option. They are pretty cheap...-_-

Originally Posted by Wee-Ooh
You can't quote yourself.
ltd ec 50 / 100 is your best bet imo
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by (Metal)lica
You dont seem to get it

AGILE!

Meh, they're really starting to get overrated now. I've played a second hand one before, and it wasn't what I was expecting, it wasn't much anything like a Gibson.

Not to mention the horrible cutaway and ugly headstock. And you'd be lucky if you can even find one to try out.

Oh well. Preference. And I'd say get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or higher. The others aren't too nice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
my first guitar was an epi lp special II. Ew.

i had outgrown it in about 7 months. Then again i learned extraordinarily fast (according to my friends).

I'd recommend the standard, but if you really don't wanna pay 430 dollars then get the epiphone les paul studio. At least it has looks going for it.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by Lil Macker
Meh, they're really starting to get overrated now. I've played a second hand one before, and it wasn't what I was expecting, it wasn't much anything like a Gibson.
Not to mention the horrible cutaway and ugly headstock. And you'd be lucky if you can even find one to try out.

Oh well. Preference. And I'd say get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or higher. The others aren't too nice.

You should NEVER compare a 200-400$ guitar to a Gibson, if you held that guitar thinking you would feel something similar to Gibson your very, very wrong. Hes asking for a low budget guitar and I think Agiles are perfect, considering what you get for the price.
Quote by Le_Bunny

I think I found the one . I really like the ESP EC-50. Yes I have a Les Paul fetish. It's looking really good right now. The only thing is that the action is supposedly pretty bad. It was mentioned a quite a few of the reviews I read, and my friend has an ESP, and his low E buzzes pretty bad. Is it expensive to get the action adjusted?

Originally Posted by Wee-Ooh
You can't quote yourself.
my friend has a Special-ll its a decent guitar but in my opinion, if you can save a few more hundred dollars and get a epi les paul standard
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
I have the ESP Viper-50 which is very similar, all I can say is great guitar, but after a couple monthes the G string gets very annoying
Quote by Le_Bunny

just save a bit more..get atleast an LTD EC100...the 50 is crap as hell
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by fairycake92
just save a bit more..get atleast an LTD EC100...the 50 is crap as hell

Not really, I found anything under 400 is relativly the same, maybe a tad better pickups or better finish, but if you want a good quality LTD 400 and above is what you'd look for, not 100
Quote by Le_Bunny

I own a Special II.

They're pretty hit-or-miss guitars; mine is very nice. The neck is probably the most comfortable neck I've ever played (but that's probably because it was my first guitar and the guitar I spend the most time with) I've hated the other Special IIs I've tried.

Some of the downsides are that the pickup selector is noisy and they have some pretty bad wiring... in fact I have to get my jack replaced now (I think it disconnected itself somehow) As well, when I was doing some behind-nut bends, mine broke off at the E. I've temporarily glued in another nut (which shifts when I bend anywhere on the high E string) In spite of these problems I love mine and someday will get it professionally set up with new pickups and all...

An Agile would probably be your best course of action.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have the Epi LP 2. Its my first guitar so i cant compare it to others, but its not too bad. The neck isnt great tho. Its main problems are that the knobs come loose straight away, the G string goes out of tune A LOT, and the tone pot only has on/off. If I turn the pot to 1, it sounds exactly the same as 10! Its a good beginner guitar but if i was in your situation I would avoid it
Quote by srq89
I own this guitar, and let me tell you it is not the greatest. It's made of cheap material, my knobs became loose just a week in. One of the screws from my pickup came out like a month ago. The neck is really annoying. It's not as smooth as I though it would be. There's a buzz at 10e which can get to me a lot.

I'm thinking of keeping the body, replacing the pickups with something decent. (if anyone knows any please suggest) and doing decal work on it.

It's basically a rhythm guitar, I wouldn't recommend soloing on it and keep a backup in case you gig a lot.

This.

The LP Special II sucks balls hard. I have it. Most of my friends also think its crap. And they don't even play guitar!
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I worked in a store about 10 years ago that sold these. They had one that just played and sounded so good. I used to use it almost every week. I should have bought it as it was cheap.
I play mainly gibsons, but having owned a low end Agile, I'd say that's a much better value than the LP Special II or the LP100. For spending around the same neighborhood of money, you get a single cut, LP style shape made out of solid wood (not a laminate), with a set neck and some of the cosmetic features of a LP (binding, trapezoid inlays) etc. The one I owned had P90's and did a nice vintage sound. I can't comment on how their humbuckers sound since the one I owned didn't have them. The neck was chunky but comfortable. It weighed a ton. I ended up getting rid of it because I didn't really need it and someone else I knew needed a guitar cheap, kinda regret it sometimes.
Agile AL-3000

Better than my friends Epi Special
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by (Metal)lica
You should NEVER compare a 200-400$ guitar to a Gibson.

I thought that was the sole reason this forum existed!!!
Quote by dimatrod
I have an Agile AL-3100 which ran me for $380 and it kicks the Epi standard and Custom's ass. It's not just because I own it, since I put it next to a friend's almost identical Epi Custom and more than one preferred mine over his.

Can't go wrong with Agile, seriously.

+1, plus that I owned a Epi custom :p
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by qotsa1998
I say no. Save up and at least get a Standard plain-top. Or, if you have to have a Les Paul shape, get an ESP EC-series guitar.

this

specials are kinda bad.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I learned how to play on an Epi LP Special II. To put it bluntly its a piece of crap all around. Do yourself a favor and save a little more and get an Epi Standard or an Agile 2000 or 3000. I have an Agile 3000 and the Epi LP Special II is not even comparable to it. The agile easily blows it away in every category.