Hey guys, around christmas time when i get the dough im finally gonna be picking up my 7 string. after much deliberation i've decided to go with the rg1527.

However, the pickups really need to go. i'd be mainly playing dream theater, unearth stuff like that on it, but i'm also going to be taking an introductory jazz course at my university next semester as an elective.

that being said, what pickups should i go with to get those diverse tones?
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
id say some kind of dimarzios would be your best bet
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Start with a drop sonic in the bridge if you want John Petruccis sound, not sure what he uses in the neck of his 7s

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
well currently looking at chirs boderick's pup set up as he pulls it off quite nicely. and it appears he uses bareknuckles.

what bareknuckles though?? boderick has a cold sweat neck and nail bomb bridge. any comments on those particular models?

Pearl Forum Series Drums
two questions: A) Where do you live? B) What amp are you using?

I'd say Bare Knuckles, but in USD, they're like 350 bucks for a set of humbuckers, which is quite a lot if you ask me. If I had a really high end guitar like a PRS, or some custom shop guitar like a Blackmachine, RAN, ESP Custom, etc I'd throw the more expensive pickups in it since it's going to be a guitar I'd have for a long ass time, but (no offense, I like Ibanez) how long do you plan on keeping the Ibby? a 4 hundred buck investment in a guitar you may sell a year or more down the line seems a tad foolish (that is, if you DO grow tired of it, Ibanez prestige guitars are really good). I'd say go with something from SD or DiMarzio, EMG, or some other pickups that aren't gunna be a few hundred bucks.

Dream Theater and Unearth use completely different pickups; passive DiMarzios and EMGs respectively. Since you're also doing jazz, i'd say the D-Sonic and Air Norton 7, and wire them for the 5 way in your Ibanez. I told a friend of mine to put the Norton in one of his guitars he uses for cleans, and he absolutely loves it. The D-Sonic is more than capable of doing brutal crunch, and from what I hear tapped the cleans are really nice.
i'm not looking to replicate unearth and dream theater tones exactly, just saying i need it to handle heavy distrotion and the metal end of the spectrum. the tone i use to play such things is my own.

im currently running everything through my bugera 6262. and yes, i plan on keeping the ibanez a long long time. prestige models are very nice, i don't expect to replace it unless something were to happen to it. that why im trying to get the most out of this and the best set up i can.

indeed, the 350$ pricepoint does sound a little steep, especially since 400$ is almost half the price of the guitar itself. ill check out those recomendations. cheers

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Last edited by Connah at Sep 27, 2008,
cool dude. i feel stupid after asking you amp since it's in your sig. >_>

But yes, BKP's are quite expensive, and imo not worth in unless you're putting them in a 2 grand + guitar. I'd definitely try the DiMarios though; i think they'll give you heavy rhythms, articulate leads, and the ability to jazz it up.

btw, how IS the 1527? I've been thinking about messing with a 7 string for awhile, and for 800 and prestige construction it seems like a decent deal.
^ its a very nice guitar

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man