Page 1 of 2
So I got this really cheap poplar wood and decided to make a guitar. Ive been planning it for a while heres, some of the process.
rough sketch i did in one of my lecture classes

i have plans for various guitars so i used the one for an sg and fit mine over it just so i know the size of the project

rough cut, need to make stuff rounder, flatter etc

i left some space around the neck pocket because i don't have a neck yet. so right now im gonna be sanding it and stuff like that. router comes in next paycheck so that'll be fun. but anyways i was thinking like clear finish or maybe adding a top wood if the body is too thin because its bolt on. its only a little thinner than my jackson but its a different type of wood so i dont know. anyways since this is my first actual build ill be needing help now and then. also comments/crituques are welcome
Thats an.....interesting shape. This will definately be an interesting build to follow.
i think i'm looking at it how it would look if it was done perfectly the way it is in my mind(which probably wont happen) . so i like the shape a lot
wow,,, thats... an interesting shape
the bottom seems a bit too wide to me but im sure you'll refine the shape to your liking a bit more
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
wow,,, thats... an interesting shape
the bottom seems a bit too wide to me but im sure you'll refine the shape to your liking a bit more

i will but i gotta go to work soon
Quote by Bucket-Bot
lollolol excellent idea for a paintjob , im considering it

I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
rofl. that looks so funny. hahaha
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by tallaxegrinder

Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 16, 2009,
how does poplar sound as a body wood? cuzz i have a ton of it laying around..........
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
You
Are
Not
Me.
Quote by Jonjy2
Haha! You are awesome Bucketbotman!! Lolz!!

+100

I CAN PUT MY FOOT BEHIND MY HEAD!

Gear
Ibanez RG370DX special edition!
Tanglewood Oddessy Acoustic
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960's A slant cab
Fender 40W amp
Dunlop Crybaby
I was hoping this project would be some sort of Les Paul in honor of Señor Bucket...

It looks like it'll be cool anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by bucketbot
You
Are
Not
Me.

. . . im sorry but this is how it has to work from now on...
50inches

anyways, i was wondering does it matter if i get a fixed base router or an adjustable one? whats the difference? will i be able to do the same work with both because the fixed base one is like 20bucks cheaper...
Got a cheapy neck from ebay..

picture with intended neck pocket cuts and general carving outline(ms paint)

put a spiral on that body. please?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
purple stain...please
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
loooks like you got your neck from the same cheapy ebay store as me! High-five!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Electrical circuit stain. That would be awesome.
Like this:

Of course, simplifed. Unless you could do a pic like that. That would be even more awesome.
Last edited by end_citizen at Nov 7, 2008,
the body is all glued up(pics when i get home) . i had 2 separate body cutouts that were about 3/4 inch or more thick. the guitar is now about as thick as a les paul. i reshaped it a little bit too, it looks more like a guitar than a blob now(around the neck pocket at least)

still deciding on the pain job , fuzzycows> i like the idea of purple stain. and with silver/white hardware it would look cool. ill test the stain on the headstock.
also still need ideas for the paintjob, so i'm open to suggestions.

for the spiral idea, i'm not sure how to make the stencil for it by using tape, cause it would be curved.

routing hopefully starts this or next weekend. ill practice routing on my other rg project
barely got a router (its been a busy year lol), did the neck pocket and pickup cavities yesterday. the neck actually fits, i was expecting to fail pretty bad, just have to make the pocket deeper.. heres come low-grade camera phone pics

Looks sick man, good to see people doing something different.
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Wow, it's been a while since this was knocking around! I look forward to seeing it completed, that's for sure!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
lol. yea i was thinking darker blue body and yellow accents for pickup rings and stuff. bout to start carving the body, in a few minutes, so its sorta like an archtop. and gonna make the neck pocket deeper. so probably more pics coming today
sounds good
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

so i fiddled around some more today and this is what i came up with... (dont mind the abundance of photographs, im just really excited with how its turning out!)

over the next couple of days i'll b e taking care of the sharp edges as shown in the diagram a few pics above. i fixed the neck pocket today too, now its the right depth and the neck doesn't wobble... and the whole guitar is actually pretty balanced. when you leave it on your knee (if sitting down) it doesn't tip over in any direction!
Looks nice, kinda like the unigue carve.
and do I see an RG project in the works?
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

thanks! yes! the rg one was actually started before this guitar. but i think i cut the neck pocket area too thin to do anything with it. but we'll see .. also on that one i used a bad type of wood, i forgot the name but it might be too dense
I want to high five your guitar.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
I want to high five your guitar.

Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

i did a lot of sanding this week and there is more to come, heres some pics.
made the edges curved as shown in the previous diagram

you can see the curve better in this photo

gonna sand the body to 200 or 400 grit this weekend, do electronics cavities routing (on the back) and routing for bridge and tailpiece! also need to learn how to do the strat style amp jack cause it won't fit on the side. besides ill have all that empty space on the front, might as well fill it with something
You could still make it into a cactus. That or a snowman and it's head could be the headstock.
There be no shelter here.
Sweet! You don't need to sand to 400, 240 or whatever you have that's closest would be fine. For the strat jack, you just route a hole, let me find you a picture.
EDIT:
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Aug 20, 2009,
Page 1 of 2