Im reallly sorry for noobing it up and posting this

should i get this for just like saving random riffs for future use?

im in a noob metalcore band, and we need something besides shitty condenser mic sound, would this help at all?

or should i just go record straight from the amp? 1/8" to 1/4" thing?

thanks for the help, and yes, call me a noob cuz it be fun
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Epiphone Futura Prophecy Custom
Martin 1970's D-28
I had one once, and it will not give you any usable tones, trust me.

You would be better off buying a better mic in my opinion.
what mic is any good?
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
Quote by insatyrguitar
I had one once, and it will not give you any usable tones, trust me.

You would be better off buying a better mic in my opinion.

Someone obviously doesn't know how to use it.

All my recordings on my profile, except for the ones marked otherwise, are with the Line 6 TonePort UX2.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
IMO the Toneports are not great for recording but they are nice for ideas.
If you have vista stay away from them though as most of the time they wont work well together.

The UX1 is nice if you want to mic your amp but if you simply want to get ideas down go for the GX unit and DI your guitar, that will save you some money.
The preamps in the toneports are not great so most mics would sound great...
Toneports = Great if you have the time to tweak the tones on it. Most people bash Line 6 either because they hate the name or spend no time tweaking it. You can get fine ones, but you need to take your time (just got mine and only have one or two at the moment I like). The best part though are the mic inputs and the input gauges giving a lot of flexibility.
moved.

Also if you just want to use it for recording ideas get a guitarport, far cheaper. If you want to record the whole band then it still isn't the best solution, as you'll need a multitrack usb/firewire interface and a bunch of mikes. If you just want to record rough ideas with the whole band, get a mike and place it in the room, and then you can use the guitarport to route it into a computer. Finally, another solution I'd recommend is the zoom h2 or whatever it is (the handheld thing that has two little mics), I have a friend who has one and we put it on a table and jammed and the sound quality was quite good for a single mic.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by moody07747
If you have vista stay away from them though as most of the time they wont work well together.

I've been using mine with Windows Vista 64 Bit Version with absolutely no problems since it's been supported.

Can't say that for XP

Quote by CJRocker
Toneports = Great if you have the time to tweak the tones on it. Most people bash Line 6 either because they hate the name or spend no time tweaking it. You can get fine ones, but you need to take your time (just got mine and only have one or two at the moment I like). The best part though are the mic inputs and the input gauges giving a lot of flexibility.

+1, People really need to learn how to use things before they start bashing them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ive heard a lot more complaints than anything else when it came to running the Toneports on Vista.
At the beginning of the year (when the drivers were fairly new as well...) I had so many problems just getting the UX1 to run on my vista based DAW.

With an m-audio Product (2496 PCI to be exact) I have not had a single problem.

I'm not going to tell people not to get the Toneport because they have vista. I simply want to get the message out there that the drivers may not be as stable as other products out on the market at this time.
Personally, I've never fancied the Toneports. They seem a little too gimmicky and guitar orientated for me. Just for saving ideas, get the GX, like moody said. It won't sound amazing, but it'll be ok just for getting ideas down.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by moody07747
Ive heard a lot more complaints than anything else when it came to running the Toneports on Vista.
At the beginning of the year (when the drivers were fairly new as well...) I had so many problems just getting the UX1 to run on my vista based DAW.

With an m-audio Product (2496 PCI to be exact) I have not had a single problem.

well im probably gonna be recording guitar on my comp with vista soo anyone else, should i get the thing that he says? and is it deciently cheap, cuz im saving up also for a Bugera 333xl 212 and i dont wanna waste a lot of money on this, cuz ill end up mic'ing that after i can get the effing money
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
my band recorded some rough demos with it. got it for 80 bux. myspace.com/thisverymomentmusic

(add us on myspace)
hmm, anyone think i should just save my money for a SM-57/SM-58 and get my bugera amp or just get this for now?\
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
The only problem is gearbox.
When i run toneport with guitar rig instead of gearbox i get some really badass sound
Quote by CJRocker

I had one for two years and whenever my ear for tone developed I realized that every it was all completely useless if you want a great sound.

They do have decent tones for practice and messing around, though, so I'm not just bashing it.

But C'mon, are you really telling me you think you can get tones worth putting on an album out of a $100 box and software? If it was that easy no one would spend money on nice amps and mics.
Quote by insatyrguitar
I had one for two years and whenever my ear for tone developed I realized that every it was all completely useless if you want a great sound.

They do have decent tones for practice and messing around, though, so I'm not just bashing it.

But C'mon, are you really telling me you think you can get tones worth putting on an album out of a $100 box and software? If it was that easy no one would spend money on nice amps and mics.

No you wouldnt record an album using a toneport but you could easily record a Demo using one
Would the toneport be good just going from my valveking into it and recording it on audacity? would that work? sorry i'm a recording noob

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I'd mic up that Valveking through an interface that has decent preamps. Something from M-Audio, PreSonus, etc...

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
well since im lazy and dont wanna start a new thread, but i probably will anyways, anyone know of a good program that records video and audio together?
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28