Ive recently joined a band where Im the lead the lead guitar player, but I was thinking of trying a little backing vocals too. Im pretty good at singing, but thats not the issue, I just cant sing while playing guitar. Are there any excersises or whatever that I can practise to help get it right? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Just practice singing while playing the guitar. You'll soon get your head 'round it, don't worry.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
the best thing to do is to keep practicing it, start with simple songs
Sig space available, give me some praise
Start by learning the guitar part. Then move your mouth with the words. Start whispering the words, and go up from there.

Learn some singing/playing songs that are easy first (all of Nevermind is a good start).

Coming from a lead singer/lead guitar.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Yes, Necrophagist, it's pretty easy, just do some 6 string sweep arpeggios and growl at the same time.

Not very hard.
learn the song thourghly,
i find i can only sing when i know the song back to front

or write your own songs, they are easy to sing cos you know em that well
Alright guys thanks a lot!! The advice youve given me has been very helpful and friendly, ill start off with simple songs (green day, nirvana etc.) and eventually move on to more technical things, (Metallica, Megadeth etc.) Thanks.
Just practice with some of your favourite, easier songs. I practice singing whilst playing megadeth, I find that playing stuff like that makes my voice sound naturally more aggressive, which fits really well in the band i'm in.
Keep practicing, rock on!

Also since you like metallica, learn to sing and play Nothing Else Matters, but in the verses start by just playing the chords. That helped me.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Yes, Necrophagist, it's pretty easy, just do some 6 string sweep arpeggios and growl at the same time.

Not very hard.

6 string?! I may sound like a noob but I dont think ive ever seen a six string sweep before.
try to play a song that you know really really well on guitar and where your hand moves without thinking about it, this way you can fully focus on singing.
Learn some easy songs that are mainly just chords and words, no tricky riffs while singing when you first start out. Some good artists to check out would be Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Who, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Bob Marley, etc etc.

Quote by TokaiRocker2000
6 string?! I may sound like a noob but I dont think ive ever seen a six string sweep before.

Educate yourself.

www.youtube.com search Necrophagist. You will be amazed. Try to find a studio recording, because the live videos are usually really hard to hear. BTW they're definitely not the only ones to use 6 string sweeps, just some of the most proficient.
Quote by Metfan1991
Just practice with some of your favourite, easier songs. I practice singing whilst playing megadeth, I find that playing stuff like that makes my voice sound naturally more aggressive, which fits really well in the band i'm in.
Keep practicing, rock on!

Also since you like metallica, learn to sing and play Nothing Else Matters, but in the verses start by just playing the chords. That helped me.

Can you sing to poison was the cure whilst playing it? Now thats gotta be hard.....
learn the song, pretty much inside and out. then try to sing along, i found that with some songs, with a tricky melody, i at least pulled off and acceptable effort and doing two things at once.

also, look for "triggers", what i mean is, look where a word and chord/note fall at the same time, it can help with timing and shizzle
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
My advice is get to the point where you can play the song with out even thinking about it.
Quote by TokaiRocker2000
Can you sing to poison was the cure whilst playing it? Now thats gotta be hard.....

Never tried, I can do 'Holy wars' and 'rust in peace'.

Have Megadeth ever played 'poison was the cure' live? i'd love to see it!

Like I mentioned before, Nothing Else Matters (chord version) helped me advance a lot.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Last edited by Metfan1991 at Sep 27, 2008,
Just talk out loud while you play, say random things, try to read something while you play, just work on multitasking, doing things while you play.

It will get better with practice.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I'm the lead vocalist/guitarist for my band. We're a trio band, so I do a lot of playing while I sing.

I started by just being able to hold a conversation with someone while playing something simple, then I built off of that. I also practiced with a lot of White Stripes songs, as they seem to be really easy to play and sing.
Try playing the song really slow while singing it, and eventually work up to normal speed
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay