what's the difference. master is preamp i think right? but what's the deal? i put master higher and i get more treble than when i just raise output. does amster like determine breakup or something?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'm confused. The amps I'm familiar with have "pre" and "post" or "gain" and "volume" respectively. Master and output seems like it has attenuator built in. What amp are you refering to?
Quote by end_citizen
I'm confused. The amps I'm familiar with have "pre" and "post" or "gain" and "volume" respectively. Master and output seems like it has attenuator built in. What amp are you refering to?

Mesa DC-3. i have a gain, treble, mid, bass, presence, and master for each channel and just one output knob and a 5 band eq for the whole thing.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
They're both the same. They both determine how much the Power Tubes are being pushed. Pre/Gain/Volume (not master)/Channel Volume determines the pre-amp stage's volume (the harder the pre-amp is pushed the more overdrive/breakup)

WAIT, you've got a DC-3.

The Masters on each channel are how loud the channel alone is. And the output level is the general volume for both channels.
Quote by thellamaking
They're both the same. They both determine how much the Power Tubes are being pushed. Pre/Gain/Volume (not master)/Channel Volume determines the pre-amp stage's volume (the harder the pre-amp is pushed the more overdrive/breakup)

WAIT, you've got a DC-3.

The Masters on each channel are how loud the channel alone is. And the output level is the general volume for both channels.

i understand but it sounds different, which is leaving me scratching my head. if i raise master instead of output, i get more treble and more of a scooped mid sound. the treble on th high notes get pretty harsh but i sounds a bit crunchier for the lower strings
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
That might just be the speaker breaking up at the higher volumes. I don't see why the treble would raise otherwise.
i just read it. it says like master control effect level, and output controls overall volume. but thne it says you use the master to calibrate volume between the two channels. wtf
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack