So, I thought I'd relate a story to all you fellow bass lovers, haters and players simply because you can't find a bassist and switched from guitar...ers....

My father is... well, was a bassist. He's 49 right now and is unfortunately afflicted with several nerve impairing conditions that even doctors can't tell him a straight answer for. They don't impair him from living, but he has trouble walking, his joints stiffen and lock up easily, he trips over his own toes for no reason and he can't play bass for more than 10 minutes without both his arms being in such agony he must put it down.

I am a bassist. I picked it up after my dad and he's always been the most supportive person.

My dad owns a 1968 Fender Telecaster 4-string bass. That's right. Not a Precision, a Telecaster.
http://i34.tinypic.com/rutw15.jpg - If you wish to see it
http://i33.tinypic.com/bfl846.jpg - The headstock
-warning, pics are very large-

Anyway, he has owned this magnificant creation for over 18 years. He bought it, third hand from a bloke who needed to fix his posty bike. My dad is the 3rd owner of it ever. It has been played properly, for hours a day, at countless gigs and everything else that is involved in the life of a real instrument. When Dad bought it, he was fitted with a Gibson PAF guitar pickup and had a huge chunk out of the middle, the only pickup that would fit is a Jackson bass pickup. It's a fantastic instrument and a lot of my best band material has been written while fiddling around on it.

This week, my Dad is selling his bass. He needs the money for reasons that are irrelevent. Unfortunately, he is selling it for around $2800 aus. He has no choice as the body as seen so much use, no one else will pay more for it.

To be honest, as I type this, I'm not afraid to say that I'm welling up a bit. It's been a constant since I can remember. Dad playing this bass or it being on its stand in the corner... It's more than an instrument, it's almost part of my surroundings.

So, as much as I realise that this thread is pretty pointless, I thought that you, fellow bass players would appreciate my story and take something from it. I won't object if this gets closed.

Thank you for your time.
That's definitely unique.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
If vintage instruments have seen a lot of wear, it very rarely affects their value. Especially a rarer model such as this.

I would be surprised if you couldn't get double for it if everything works perfectly.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well, the body has been repainted and then sanded.
It's seen tons of use (you can see the mark where my Dad's finger would sit when he played, under the D string)
It's had a huge hole cut in it for that stupid PAF pickup (replaced, but still).
It's made of Ash and the neck is one piece of maple.
If you didn't need to money I would keep the bass purely for sentimental reasons, or even for you to play on instead.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Thats awesome man.
Is there no way you can get him to keep it, you know like a family heirloom or something?
Sounds like it has an awesome history, and it seems like such a waste just to sell it.
I want to keep it.
I've begged, pleaded, asked to buy, everything.
He needs to sell it. It's pretty sad. It's gonna be heartbreaking for me to see it go, I can't even imagine how he must feel....

Realistically, I'd never play it live or anything as I'm moving up to 6-strings. But it's more... just.. wanting to keep it in the family thing....
It's a cool instrument - I own a similar bass with the same stylings. However, that added pickup really, really screws with the resale value. It's a nitro finished instrument (or was), so that's a good thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Personally, I'd rather sell my car than my ricky, and i've only had that 6 months. i can't imagine how s*** you must feel.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Magero
I want to keep it.
I've begged, pleaded, asked to buy, everything.
He needs to sell it. It's pretty sad. It's gonna be heartbreaking for me to see it go, I can't even imagine how he must feel....

Realistically, I'd never play it live or anything as I'm moving up to 6-strings. But it's more... just.. wanting to keep it in the family thing....

Thats sad man,I'd to see something thats obviously got so much sentimental value be sold to someone who'll probably sell it at auction and it never being played again.
If I had $2800 I'd buy it and give it to you. Sadly however, I don't.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
That thing looks amazing, I love it. Too bad I live in the US and don't have the equivalent of $2800 AUS (what is that in USD, I'm curious?). If I had close to that much I'd gladly buy that thing, things like that are truly hard to come by.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
^^The upside of selling it actually, is knowing that it WILL be used again. The guy buying it is a local bassist, plays tons of 6-strings and tons of 4-strings (hates 5s, no clue why) and does lots of work locally, so at least I'll see it again and I know it will be used and loved. Like a true instrument should be. Am I right?

^ $2327.08
Quote by Magero
^^The upside of selling it actually, is knowing that it WILL be used again. The guy buying it is a local bassist, plays tons of 6-strings and tons of 4-strings (hates 5s, no clue why) and does lots of work locally, so at least I'll see it again and I know it will be used and loved. Like a true instrument should be. Am I right?

^ $2327.08

Well at least it's going to good use and not just gonna get locked in an airtight trophy cupboard.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Magero
^I'm actually pretty likely to be playing on the same bill as him considering he's a death metal bassist

I have trouble seeing that do well in a Death Metal situation, but hey, who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I'm glad to see something that sentimental go to someone who will put it to good use. That's a hell of a bass, I'd hate to see it sit locked up in a case somewhere and never played.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.

I wrote some of my band's songs on it, it's a magnificant instrument and I'm REALLY glad that this guy is a musician, not a collector. Collector's will pay more, but I want to see this thing be used and abused like a real instrument.
dude get all your savings together and buy it from him, he's hating putting it up for sale as much if not more than you are. make the gesture and keep that bass in the family where it belongs
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.