my amp has recently developed a constant buzz (like touching the end of a cable) with and without the cable plugged in - any ideas what could be causing this ? my amp also sounds like its constantly on a light overdrive setting when its on clean and no overdrive is on, any ideas

thanks
Get ready for lots of MG bashing!
I used to use an MG, never encountered the problem you're having.
Take it and get it checked out at a store, they'll probably figure it out straight away.
Rock on!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
It is a poorly constructed amp. The buzz could be a problem around the input jack. The overdrive bleeding through could be a problem with relays or whatever it is used on this amp between the channels. It would not be worth fixing really.
Theres no standard thing that goes out on MGs. And a long list of possible sources of the problem. Most of the time diagnosing and fixing a SS will cost more than the amp does.
I'm not even gonna read the thousands of "It's an MG that's your problem" posts, so I hope this hasn't been said.

Have you tried a back up cable or friends guitar? The issue could be seated in either of them.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
i've tried my prs, fender and 6 different leads still no luck, could it be a problem with the speaker ? just a horrible crackling noise
Doubt it's your speaker. The amp could very well be on it's way out. I'd take it to a repair shop and ask for a diagnostic. Might be new-amp time.

MG's are notorious for being shoddy in construction (you might already know that?) and if you've tried several cables/guitars that rules out a bad output on a guitar, AND it rules out bad cables.
Quote by sargasm
the amps about two years old, paid about £180 for it, any ideas on how much it would cost to fix ?
No clue. A lot of people say that a solid state is generally more expensive to fix than it is to replace... but there's so much solid-state hate around here it's hard to judge. Just take it in and find out.
Quote by sargasm
wait u have a prs and i fender but still using and mg ur better off going and getting a new amp
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
my local music store charge £20 just for lookin at it, i'll go in say what my problem is and see what they say, ill make a recordin that should help them narrow it down, oh well christmas in 13 weeks if i dont get it repaired ill get a new one, any recommendations ? my budget will be about £250 / $500
what do u play? as in genres
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
what do u play? as in genres

This. Although I'm of little help in this department (not a huge amount of experience like a lot of these guys) is it just for home practice? Or do you gig/drummer/band anything like that?
Quote by sargasm
all sorts :P i've been playin for 5 years - big fan of satriani mostly play rock and blues, the last song i learnt before my amp broke was la grange by zz top

only for home practice although it still needs to be loud lol at least a 50 watt
Tube or solid-state? (50w of tube is huge...)
Quote by sargasm
Hrm I was hoping by this point someone would have jumped in and recommended an amp... I have zero experience with tubes, at least anything serious. You might be pressed to make another thread and give them all the info you gave here (budget, genres, tube/solid state preference) and let someone who is more qualified help ya out.
Quote by sargasm
We can run with this thread. Give me a hot minute to run some things together.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackheart_handsome_devil_combo_bh15_112.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_ad5.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_lc15110.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_blues_custom_30_uk.htm

All good choices. Personally, I think the Handsome Devil and the AD5 are the best options, but try them all out and see for yourself. VK isn't a bad option either, it just sounds alot better with a speaker and tube swap, which raises the price into the territory of better amps.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.