Hi all,

My latest recording is up! It's a Steve Vai cover, one of his melodically most beautiful songs IMO: "Die To Live" from the album Alien Love Secrets..
For this record, I used my new Boss GT-8 for the tone and to simulate the whammy vibrato and bends in this song, because my Tele doesn't have a whammy bar it turned out ok though! I also mixed the guitar track with a backing track from guitarbt.com, kudos to whoever made this amazing track

The mp3 is in my profile: Steve Vai - Die To Live (mp3)
Or the YouTube video: Steve Vai - Die To Live (YouTube)

Enjoy! C4C as usual..
Cheers!
ZeG
Last edited by ZeGuitarist at Sep 28, 2008,
wow, your covers are astounding
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
This is a very good cover, very close to the original, a joy to listen to
I can't really fault it

Keep it up!
Awesome! I usually don't like music like that, but that was really good. I'm not familiar with the original, but I didn't hear any mistakes or anything (although the guitar sounded a little out of tune on a couple of the open chords). That was really cool. Thanks for the crit on mine too.
very nice, add some bass in there it'l sound more full, other than that can't really say anything about it other than good job
Don't you try and ask me your expiration date
Plans that forgot me 99 times
you'll be the one who opens the gate.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Founder of the UG RHPS fanclub....

to join simply amend sig..
It could be the Youtube compression, but i didn't really like the tone. It was a tad fizzy.

As far as the playing, it was really good.

This kind of thing isn't really my bag, but it was executed very skillfully.
Quote by TenaciousLSD
very nice, add some bass in there it'l sound more full

I didn't make the backing track myself, but it does have bass on it.. You just don't hear it very clearly on YouTube or just through pc speakers maybe, try playing it on better speakers?

Quote by imgooley
It could be the Youtube compression, but i didn't really like the tone. It was a tad fizzy.

I invested a lot of time tweaking my tone and I'm really happy with it. I've had people complimenting my tone in this song too, so maybe it is the YouTube compression? Well, it's just a matter of preference anyway, I like my tone with a lot of distortion to make it more solid and powerful, but not too much, otherwise it would sound sharp and edgy.. or "fizzy" like you say. I don't think it is though, but that's just my opinion. Try checking out the mp3 in my profile instead, and do it justice and play it through decent stereo speakers to fully judge the tone..

Anybody have any thoughs about this?

Anyways, thanks for the crits and keep on critting!
Cheers!!

ZeG
Thanks for the crit. Amazing cover, very good playing skills. I quite liked the tone, maybe a tad fuzzy but clean enough. Overall it's very close to the original and I enjoyed it very much. Well done.
"Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life.Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!" ~ Billy Connolly
Not big into Steve Vai but your playing seems very good. Very tight and clear.

Solo - You have it pretty nailed, just gotta polish off those few little notes and it will be perfect!

Good job!
Excellent tone, technically well played!

Some nitpicking:

Be harsher on your vibrato and bends. Sometimes it sounded like you were slacking off.

The way you sit, and position the guitar on your lap, looks like an obstacle. Sit up straight! It will improve your overall playing!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059070
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Great playing and tone. I love the guitar too, been wanting one of them for ages. I agree with ^ try sitting up a little straighter. The solo tone is great. Sounds perfect. I haven't really gotten into Steve Vai, but this really makes me want to.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1060216
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.