|--------------------|----------------|
|-----7h8-7----------|------------5---|
|--------------7h8-7-|--------5-----7-|
|-0-0--------0-------|--0-8-7---7-----|

Ok, so the open A string is palm muted, but the other notes aren't. My question is when playing the 7h8 7 on the G string do I need to make sure that I'm muting out the E A and D string notes with my right hand so they are totally quiet (like you do when soloing)?

Or is it OK to palm mute the open A then lift your right hand entirely off and play the notes on the G string without worrying if they are dampening the lower strings or not?

I've tried it both ways and if you're not making sure that the right hand is muting the lower notes on the stuff that isnt palm muted, it seems a bit sloppy. But otherwise its very awkward to play this riff at the speed its intended. This is Metallica's seek and destroy.

Hopefully I did an OK job of explaining my question. I don't want to be sloppy in any aspect of my playing so I want to make sure I get this right. Thanks
when i play it i just lift up to get the ho and po. you should really just keep practicing till you can play it comfortably without being sloppy no matter which way you do it.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Well, its easy enough for me to play. I've been playing for awhile, teaching myself. And resently just have been trying to make sure I'm playing with correct technique. I've already had to correct a few things.

What I mean by sloppy is that when I play the notes on the G string you can hear the hum of the E A And D string slightly, although since I'm playing other notes its hardly noticable. But if that is not appropiate, I want to fix it.
good toon. to get rid of the the ringing just place your palm on the ringing string when they arent played.
Quote by zzpot21
good toon. to get rid of the the ringing just place your palm on the ringing string when they arent played.

Yeah, I've tried that and its a little awkward to shift my just so to mute the lower 3 strings but not the G string.

I guess its just a lot easier to lift off but thats probably sloppy, any advice on hand position to easily ensure the lower strings you arent playing on are damped but the ones you are playing on aren't?
i always anchor my picking hand. and since the a string palm mutes are open the only thing thats making ur lower strings vibrate is ur picking hand. make sure it comes off straight. u dont wanna do sort of a pull off with it. just practice and play it extremely slowly and pay attention so you find out exactly wat the problem is. but judging by the tab the only thing it could be is ur picking hand.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!