Hello some of you might have seen my threads before, basically I am wanting to sell my dsl401 for a new amp, at the moment the laney vc50 looks promising, possible a valvetronixs or maybe some type of modeller. Anyway I just completely forgot about the ashdowns, now I know they are primary a rock/metal amp but just wondering how they would handle funky type cleans, gary moore and eric johnson type leads (cliffs of dover)? Now I hear they have alot of bass, and I like bass, if they voiced inbetween a marshall and mesa on distortion channel, that would be brilliant for me! And whats the clean channel compairable to - fender?

Anyway dont really know much about these amps...hope you can help!
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
PM i_am_metalhead. He has one.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
The clean channel's a pretty standard british clean channel; it doesn't have a huge amount of sparkle to it and it's not the cleanest in the world but I would imagine that with a decent single coil guitar I would imagine it could do a decent job of funk.

In terms of leads they're not the greatest amp in the world but they do the job nicely, Gary Moore should be easy enough to do but I'm not sure you can do a decent impression of Eric Johnson without a stack of effects anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i know johnsons tone is stacked in delay and verb and w/e else. But would it have that smooth type of quality. So would the vc50 (vh100r in combo form) be better, or a modeller? Thing is... I cant find a amp which is smooth, raw and capable of metal, good classic rock and clean sounds!!! Im open to suggestions
My Mesa does all of those well. Apparently the F-30s/50s sound better to most people, but I'd give it a try.

Don't judge me.
id say wanting a fallen angel to sound like a mesa, marshall and fender is a lot to ask. But like that guy said ^ if you can afford a used F-series that would be perfect for you, much better than an FA id assume. The distortion is like a mesa obviously, a cross between a mark IV and recto aparrently (iv never played those...yet :p) and the cleans apparently give old fender twins a run for thier money too...

Try one!
Sounds like this...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201

cleans are nice, but they're not fendery...quite warm due to the amp being bassy. However, somewhere between Marshall and Mesa isn't a bad desciption of the voicing of the gain channel.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ahh that f30 is roughly how much in the UK? And would it do those smooth tones aswell as vintage crunch? And does it have reverb? Or would I be better of with the vc50?
Ah you're in the UK. Mesa is distinctly out then, if you're operating on a budget. VC50.

Don't judge me.
The Mesa would set you back about a grand, they're not cheap over here
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well i have just brought a new guitar so amp broke...! My budget is what I can sell my dsl401 for. Maybe I have cheap tastes but i quite like the sound of my friends valvestate, its an old old one, not a new one. What do you think?
How much would you sell your DSL for?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i duno £300 odd. Would a carvin v3 suit my styles? And roughly how much would it cost for one with a 212 or in combo
Damn it, I can't afford the amp and the shipping. A V3 would be right up your alley if you can afford one.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
how much? *holds breath*
Quote by steven seagull
The Mesa would set you back about a grand, they're not cheap over here

He could look second hand, i managed to get my F-100 with a proper flightcase for £500, thats good in the UK or the US.
i think the v3 would be better, how much would one set me back? And a friend of mine has an old old valvestate (dont even know if its called that) but its a marshall hybrid none the less sounds pretty good. Its 120w with 212 speakers, anyone give me a model number?