every once in a while my guitar starts sounding real "dull" when i plug it in to play. im not sure how to explain it... its just really quite and its just like i have to hit the top strings really hard for any sound to come out and the bottom strings barely do anything. it usually starts working if i just set it down for a while and try playing it again later, but when it started doing it yesterday at practice i was really annoyed. what do you think the problem is?
Have you tried using another cable? Also what kind of amp do you play through?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
it could be a wiring problem.. try getting a decent cable. if you already have a decent cable then maybe its either your guitar or your amp.. doubtfully your amp
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')
This is bunny. copy/paste him into your signature
and help him on his quest to take over the world!
amp is a brand new VOX AD50VT. guitar is an ESP LTD ESP-1000. cable is made by monster, so dont blame it.

its definitely the guitar. just tried the amp and cable with my MIM Strat.

the pickups are active EMGs in the EC-1000, maybe the batteries need a change?
Very protective of monster cables are we? They can go bad just as any other. If the cable works fine with other guitars though, then batteries would be another good thing to check since you have active pickups.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."