I thought about joining my school's jazz ensemble but I don't know how to effectively sight read guitar sheet music. I played another instrument so I know what everything on sheet music looks like, such as rests, eight notes, time signature, etc. I thought I should prepare for next year by learning how to do this now. What are some scales that will help me learn to read faster and are there any games which help?
Haha, have fun with that, Berklee's modern method for guitar. I must say though, with guitar and piano it seems to be harder than for everyone else. Most everybody in an ensemble or orchestra gets just one note, you'll get complete chords without a marking sometime, I'd just suggest asking for the sheet music in advance and knowing the set lists prior so you can make notes on them as well as practice them.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Hm, I must have been lucky. I played guitar for a year in Jazz band back in high school and I didn't know how to sight read sheet music. They always just gave me a paper that had the chords and whatnot on it and the chords were all I played. Are you sure you're required to know how to sight read? Maybe you should ask them about it.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

They had different audition parts in folders on the band room's wall and the piano part and guitar part were the same folder. Is this a similar format to your part and could you analyze this?
Last edited by CrazyLegs0892 at Sep 27, 2008,
If I begin learning to read notes , will it help me progress faster ?
My teacher teaches me styles,licks,songs etc but we dont do the things the "professionals" do. (Reading notes).

I've read in many places that theory enhances your learning. Should I start learning treble clefs,bass clefs,take up theory exams etc ?
^It can help later when you compose your own stuff, or take up another instrument. TAB is sufficient for most guitarists.
That means that if I dream to become a really good guitarist , I should be able to read notes right ?
Quote by chris.23
That means that if I dream to become a really good guitarist , I should be able to read notes right ?

IMHO, I don't think so. I'm only reading music for the hell of it and because I want to get in a good guitar college.

GREAT guitar players in my IMHO are the ones that could play by ear. But if you are looking on creating an orchestra, playing classical guitar, or trying to get into a good guitar college. I think it is need.
Quote by chris.23
I feel Im missing something by not knowing how to read notes.

Than learn how to read sheet music!

god.. It seriously isn't that hard.
Quote by Graveworm
Than learn how to read sheet music!

god.. It seriously isn't that hard.

The toughest part is learning to sight read quickly.
Quote by CrazyLegs0892
The toughest part is learning to sight read quickly.

Takes practise.
musictheory.net, has great little games you can play for sight reading, and lessons for alot of stuff. great website.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage