Can anyone here use the stenograph keyboards? Are they easy to learn to use?
Last edited by Fassa Albrecht at Sep 27, 2008,
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Erm... a what?

A stenograph....one of those typing devices you see in a courtroom for transcriptions. It looks like a small music keyboard.

Officially it's a stenotype machine.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
A stenograph....one of those typing devices you see in a courtroom for transcriptions. It looks like a small music keyboard.

Officially it's a stenotype machine.

Don't you mean a typewriter?
Quote by seljer
gives you the ability to spam the pit 5 times faster?

I was thinking of using one at university...
I actually have a midget I carry around in a large backpack with a stenotype machine and he records all of my conversations for me.

You never know when you will need proof of what people have said.
Quote by metaldud536
Don't you mean a typewriter?

It's not a typewriter....here is the layout of a stenotype machine.

This is the layout. You press the keys in different 'chords' or combinations to make up the words.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I was thinking of using one at university...

personally, I don't think it would be that useful....though I'm doing engineering and I haven't written an actual sentence all year (just pages and pages of formulas and diagrams though )
Quote by seljer
personally, I don't think it would be that useful....though I'm doing engineering and I haven't written an actual sentence all year (just pages and pages of formulas and diagrams though )

Well most of the stuff I would use it for is essays and assignments...all in English script.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Well most of the stuff I would use it for is essays and assignments...all in English script.

back in highschool I just set my mp3 player to record the lectures of any of the faster talking teachers and would fill in my notes on any stuff I couldn't get at home

for assignments and other stuff at home...I don't see the point, you're not going to gain hours and hours of valuable time by what you save from using a regular keyboard

that is unless you specifically want to become a stenographer
Quote by seljer
back in highschool I just set my mp3 player to record the lectures of any of the faster talking teachers and would fill in my notes on any stuff I couldn't get at home

for assignments and other stuff at home...I don't see the point, you're not going to gain hours and hours of valuable time by what you save from using a regular keyboard

that is unless you specifically want to become a stenographer

We're not allowed to use mp3's in class unless there's a specific disabilty which stops you taking notes...

ANYTHING which makes typing easier is worth a try....
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
We're not allowed to use mp3's in class unless there's a specific disabilty which stops you taking notes...

ANYTHING which makes typing easier is worth a try....

I just had it tucked in my pencil case

and I still took notes
Quote by seljer
I just had it tucked in my pencil case

and I still took notes

I have a problem with writing normally because my writing (left) hand is crippled by RSI and so I can't write half as fast with my right hand.

It would save time otherwise if I could just whizz along..
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I have a problem with writing normally because my writing (left) hand is crippled by RSI and so I can't write half as fast with my right hand.

err

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Quote by seljer
err

RSI isn't seen as a disability by the uni....if I had a muscle disorder or somethng like that then they'd be more willing to let me use aids.
Quote by 12Jim34
I'm confused, it doesn't have all 26 letters.

You press the keys in certain combinations, called chords, to make certain letters and punctuation...

For example.....F G P T is the letter chord for a full stop.