I've been trying to sell my Squier VM P for awhile now. I had a garage sale today and sold my old crate combo (which sounds very nice outdoors btw). While this kid was playing my VM P I was thinking about how happy I was to take it out of the box and hold a bass for the first time.

It's no longer for sale. I was going to sell it for $150 but for $150 I think I'll keep it.

So I think I'm going to give it some upgrades. New pots, new pickups, new bridge, new tuners and a set up. I'm pretty excited. Out of all my basses the VM P is the only bass I have a "connection" with. I'm very glad I didn't let it go.

Thank you for reading my corny wall of text, if you have a suggestion or any tips for changing pickups and pots please reply
If it's your first bass then you definitely need to keep it, just because of sentimental value. For fun I replaced my first bass's knobs with beer bottle caps.
I will never let go of my first bass, even though it's a POS BC Rich. My fingers were red raw after the first day I got it. I don't know about upgrading that Squier so extensively though...
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I once thought about selling my first bass, then I realised how much it really meant to me. Now it hangs on my wall in the exact state it was in when I first got it and it'll stay like that forever, I'm never going to change anything on it because I see it more as a sentimental object rather than a usable instrument, it's probably the wrong way of looking at it though .

I'd splash out on some Lindy Fralin pickups and get some knobs shaped like dice if I were in your position though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I've got a bunch of Warwicks and a vintage Stingray, and still I keep my MIM Jazz 4-string. It was my first "real" bass and we've been through too much together for me to say goodbye to it.

As far as upgrades, get a Lindy Fralin pickup, a better bridge, and some fresh strings? New pots and tuners would also be a plus from the weak Squier stock equipment. You may also want a new nut. I lucked out with my MIM Jazz; my dad is a luthier and made me a custom nut from vintage bone. It really makes a difference!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
My first bass was a terrible Harley Benton Jazz. Was absolutely crap. So I sold it.

The knowledge that I was helping another person to learn an instrument and gain joy out of it, then sadness and depression when they discovered how awesome I am, was too good to pass up.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
a store on ebay sell parts and I'm thinking about getting the 08 USA P Bass CTS pots, pickups, tuners, and knobs. It would be fairly inexpensive and a heck of a lot better than the stock parts. Probably a Gotoh bridge. If I can get all of that I will be a happy girl

I'd love to get a Lindy Fralin pickup, if I can't get the ones from the ebay store I'll think about it.

I plan on having them put on a new nut when it gets set up.
^ dude, do not defret it. I did that to a project bass I got from my school for free (the music teacher said that the repairs would cost $300 for the $100 squire p-bass). I tried defretting it. Granted, I'd only been playing for a year, but I a few months ago I realized that I still couldn't play a fretless. Because you already have a deluxe active p, you should try to make this as different as possible to it. Put on a badass bridge, possibly a hipshot D-tuner and either a quarter pounder p-bass pickup or a dimarzio will power middle pickup (I'll admit to having reason for the latter recommendation, as I've always wanter to try one out)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
hey Lady G you should get some badass bridge and some seymour duncans pups

and about the bass I think you made a good choise to keep it because its your first bass simple as that
Get the Quarter Pounders, you won't regret it.

After 16 years, I still have my starter bass, the ol' AccuBass. I think I'd sell the Ibanez before I got rid of it. And its my mod project as well.

It was a Christmas present from Mr. Tam, totally and absolutely unexpected.
Quote by Miss G
I've been trying to sell my Squier VM P for awhile now. I had a garage sale today and sold my old crate combo (which sounds very nice outdoors btw). While this kid was playing my VM P I was thinking about how happy I was to take it out of the box and hold a bass for the first time.

It's no longer for sale. I was going to sell it for $150 but for $150 I think I'll keep it.

So I think I'm going to give it some upgrades. New pots, new pickups, new bridge, new tuners and a set up. I'm pretty excited. Out of all my basses the VM P is the only bass I have a "connection" with. I'm very glad I didn't let it go.

Thank you for reading my corny wall of text, if you have a suggestion or any tips for changing pickups and pots please reply

It's so easy.

I was 13 when I changed my neck, electronics, shielded the cavity, pickguard, and pickups on my squier.

the knob was smaller than a pot so I tried hammering it lol.

That got messed up, and I fixed it with my pliers.

If a little douchebag can do it, you can.

Good luck.
Quote by anarkee
Get the Quarter Pounders, you won't regret it.

After 16 years, I still have my starter bass, the ol' AccuBass. I think I'd sell the Ibanez before I got rid of it. And its my mod project as well.

It was a Christmas present from Mr. Tam, totally and absolutely unexpected.

Oh I got quarter pounders, the wire ripped immediately.

No biggy since I had to solder them to the pots anyway, but still, terrible craftsmanship.

The sound ain't too special either, unless it's my strings.
You're the first person I've heard complain about that issue...hmmm.

My bass is all maple and it gave them a huge punchy sound. Mine you, I also replaced all of the pots and wiring at the same time. Fralins are great as well, but a bit more cash than I wanted to throw into a starter bass.
I say De-fret and epoxy the fingerboard. And thus once again prove girls can match it and indeed surpass us guys. You go Girl!!

...last 3 words make me feel gay.....
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I recently rewired my starter bass. Living in Australia, quality pickups are either not available, or more expensive than the bass itself.

I got Fender Original pickups and CTS pots. I sat down a few days ago and soldered all of it up. Trial and error as i was losing my bass rewiring virginity, went off without a hitch though. Plus it sounds like a completely new bass!

Give it some new pups and a good setup and see how you go from there, you may decide that it's good enough and doesn't warrant spending any more cash on.

All the best,

Dave.

Edit: ^^ yeah the last 3 words make you look gay too haha
HI THERE
You should definately get the Quarter Pounders.
Also, am I the only one here who no longer has their first bass?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you