My mate is looking to get into playing bass (woo )
He has £300-£400 tops and needs an amp and a bass Plays lots of heavy stuff if that makes a great deal of difference?
He was looking at...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75470

and

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-bxl-450/69592

Now, I know that Behringer don't make the best stuff but as for the bass I don't have a clue I've been told that Ibanez basses are pretty decent but tbh I couldn't say :p

So help mee Thank you friendly people

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Stay away from Behringer, I don't care how cheap it is, and what they promise you. It's all lies. The Ibanez basses are good though, just don't get the amp.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
wheres the humanity when you need him *blows horn*
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
NO, behringer dosent even deserve to have its name capitalized.
Look into some schecter basses too.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Yeah I gathered as much about the amp. Care to recommend some decent ones?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

acoustic b100.... simply amazing amp
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Not going to comment on behringer, as I think they take enough verbal abuse already (not that they don't 100% deserve it).

as for the basses, go with ibanez (for playability, that is if your friend likes small necks like I do) or schecter (for looks and slightly, in my opinion, better sound. also, make sure he can handle the whole laquered neck thing)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by tbirds1013
acoustic b100.... simply amazing amp

+1 Acoustic's full lineup is NEW, INEXPENSIVE, and QUALITY....cant go wrong

I own the SR300 ('08) and i just want to mention that its made in indonesia and comes with alot of fret buzz it WILL need a full setup, try a few if the shop has a couple available because i had to try a couple before i found one with a nice finish, non scratchy treble pot and such....

That said the STYLE SWEEPER is really cool, the Active Electronics are good, the hardware is solid, the 5 piece striped maple/rosewood neck looks and plays beautifully, and the painted to match headstock is a nice touch.

Good Luck!
Last edited by HATe410 at Sep 28, 2008,
I can't find the b100 anywhere in the UK :/ Laaame.
A friend recommended an Ashdown Electric Blue 180. They're not too expensive - any ideas?

Man I hate not having a clue...
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Yes anything Ashdown is great too, very warm sounding but still versitle plenty of options there...just by reading the description i dont see that the cabinet includes a Hi-Freq tweeter now this may not be a "problem" because i dont even use mine in my Ampeg setup though sometimes im just happy knoing its there kinda thing, cause i suppose i do use it sometimes to expieriment and all...but if you(hes) not looking for a "bright shiny" tone it wont matter anyway....

if so check out theyre 2x10 offering with almost double the wattage, would be a must if hes looking to gig with the amp because 300w is standard for getting in the mix with a drummer in a live situation.....
Last edited by HATe410 at Sep 28, 2008,
Excellent
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by alternitivebass
wheres the humanity when you need him *blows horn*

I was called?

but anyways, you should definitely look into Ashdown. they are pretty cheap and great sounding. you can't get Acoustic over there.

also try
Orange
Laney
Carvin

but don't even bother with Behringer, it's terrible. I had one, and now wander the forums of UG warning others not to make my mistake.

that bass is very great, by the way. stick with it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I was called?

but anyways, you should definitely look into Ashdown. they are pretty cheap and great sounding. you can't get Acoustic over there.

also try
Orange
Laney
Carvin

but don't even bother with Behringer, it's terrible. I had one, and now wander the forums of UG warning others not to make my mistake.

that bass is very great, by the way. stick with it.

I'm not sure if you can get Carvin in the UK. If you can, then the BR15 should be near the top of your friend's list if he's wanting to gig at any point.
you can get Carvin i europe but you have to near the suppkiers to get them and i dont thin its worth the hastle. definatly look into ashdown see if you can get a mag combo. I wouldnt get the practise amp series maybe the sweet 10 but defiantly not the 15 i hated it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Okay, looked at the other manufacturers and the only Oranges which are available in the price range are the Crush series and if their Crush series for the electric guitar are anything to go by then they're not that great... Only laney which looks suitable is the RB-3:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rb-3/69084

Anyone had experience with it? Even better if you've also tried the Ashdown

Any comments about Peavey's cheaper range like the 'MAX' range?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-max-112-combo/68347
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Sep 28, 2008,
Quote by Yngwi3
Okay, looked at the other manufacturers and the only Oranges which are available in the price range are the Crush series and if their Crush series for the electric guitar are anything to go by then they're not that great... Only laney which looks suitable is the RB-3:

Anyone had experience with it? Even better if you've also tried the Ashdown

Any comments about Peavey's cheaper range like the 'MAX' range?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-max-112-combo/68347

I think Giaco is a Laney fan, I can't recall which one... and Peavey is a workhorse bass, it does what you need, and can sound like what you want, and isn't gonna break, but it isn't spectacular.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Okay after a bit of looking around, it's pretty much between this 100 watt ashdown:
http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG03449

Or the 65 watt Laney:

Can anyone give me pros/cons of each and what they'd go for?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

100 watts. it's louder. you will be less likely to blow it out.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yeah and it'll be more useful hehe. Just is there a great difference in quality of tone?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Yeah and it'll be more useful hehe. Just is there a great difference in quality of tone?

Just to add in a point! Want to make sure you realise that neither of those will be giggable at that wattage before you commit..
the Ashdown is way better...they both lack tonal options of a more expensive amp (obviously) so its tough to say one is better, but the Ashdown is cheaper and overall louder...also ive only tried Laneys in store but never owned one they DO NOT impress me for bass i know some guitarist that use them and they sound great, ive owned/borrowed a few Ashodown practice amps they always make me happy

breakdown:
Laney 65w 12in Celestion (descent BRAND name) 3 band EQ + compressor (not to good probably more of a "limiter")

Ashdown 100w 15in BlueLine (used in their better end cabs) 3 band EQ w/ DEEP switch improves low end while reducing mids (mid scooped sound)

^named after the Who's late John Entwistle...nice

both have same ins/outs

Ashdown > Laney
Last edited by HATe410 at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by soundcheck1
Just to add in a point! Want to make sure you realise that neither of those will be giggable at that wattage before you commit..

Yeah no worries, but it'll be okay for jamming right?
Quote by HATe410
the Ashdown is way better...they both lack tonal options of a more expensive amp (obviously) so its tough to say one is better, but the Ashdown is cheaper and overall louder...also ive only tried Laneys in store but never owned one they DO NOT impress me for bass i know some guitarist that use them and they sound great, ive owned/borrowed a few Ashodown practice amps they always make me happy

breakdown:
Laney 65w 12in Celestion (descent BRAND name) 3 band EQ + compressor (not to good probably more of a "limiter")

Ashdown 100w 15in BlueLine (used in their better end cabs) 3 band EQ w/ DEEP switch improves low end while reducing mids (mid scooped sound)

^named after the Who's late John Entwistle...nice

both have same ins/outs

Ashdown > Laney

That's cool Ashdown it is hehe.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Yeah no worries, but it'll be okay for jamming right?

Yep should be