can someone please tell me what the hell the contour knob does????

I have a B 52 AT-112 all tube 60 watt combo. (When i set it to the settings in the thread about the ultimate settings for certain players and bands, it sounded EXACTLY like said artists!!)

I use a Gibson Special Faded SG.

The countour knob has been bothering me for MONTHS, i just want to find out what it is and what it does.

ALSO, the Low Res knob on my amp does not seem to work, then again i also dont know what it does.

Please help!
the contour knob works like a tone knob or presence knob would work on any other amp. and I guess low res is a bass booster?
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
The contour knob cuts your mids.
The low res sounds like its an all around eq for your low end

Glad youre liking the amp =]
Quote by muse-ik
the contour knob works like a tone knob or presence knob would work on any other amp. and I guess low res is a bass booster?

Here's your answer.
^thanks to all for the FAST REPLIES. This is, as some of you may have noticed, my first thread and I am amazed by the ammount of ppl that are always on and willing to help.

Ok, now i understand what the contour knob does, but can anyone give me like a general guidline to what tone it would give me by comparing it to certain bandsor genres?

For example, set the contour to around tis level (out of 10) to get a Lez Zeppelin kind of sound, or set it between this and that to get a classic rock or heavy,crunchy tone.

I would much like it if u can give me an example for each increasing level (1,2,3,etc)

ALSO, how do i know if my low res os working, cuz i play a chord wen its at one, and wen i put it at 10, it sounds exactly the same.

again THANKS TO ALL IN THE UG COMMUNITY!
Ultimately the effect a knob has is whatever you hear, not what people tell you - if you don't hear a difference then don't worry about it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Basically, the lower the number the more mids you're cutting. Rememnber, by the way, that the contour knob only works when the contour button is pressed.

If you keep your contour at 1, 2, or 3, your cutting all your midrange out. Think of Metallica's And Justice for All Album, or Pantera's stuff. If you keep the contour higher, like 8, 9 or 10, you should get a thicker more colored tone.

Low res adds a boomier all around tone, but it won't cut or raise the bass on the raw tone of the amp
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by sabbathu
Basically, the lower the number the more mids you're cutting. Rememnber, by the way, that the contour knob only works when the contour button is pressed.

If you keep your contour at 1, 2, or 3, your cutting all your midrange out. Think of Metallica's And Justice for All Album, or Pantera's stuff. If you keep the contour higher, like 8, 9 or 10, you should get a thicker more colored tone.

Low res adds a boomier all around tone, but it won't cut or raise the bass on the raw tone of the amp

Thanks for your response
I think my Low Res knob is broken, ill have the ppl at GC take a look at it.

But in terms off the Contour, I have a request for you. Would you mind telling me what to set my contour to to sound like the following bands and genre (Note: Assuemt I know all ther amp settings):

-Green Day
-System of a down
-Classic Rock
-Led Zep

Thanks!!
Its hard to say. It all depends on your other settings. For green day, I might but it at 5. For Zepplin, or anything classic I wouldn't use contour at all. System either. For Green day keep it at 5 and see how that works.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
You got it. Expiriment!!!

My advice, use whatever serring makes your playing sound better. Whatever settting enhances your picking style would be best. Try not to think about other bands. Whatever makes your guitar sound best is what you should use.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
yeah thanks again sabbathu, I mainly use other band's presets wen i feel like covering songs or wen i help my brother learn to play basic rock songs on drums by playing along (he is a beginner)

I have actually found the amp setting that i like:

Bass and Treble maxed out with maybe a little bit of middle (2 or 3). Ill experiment my setting with the contour.

Also, would you happen to know an easy way to check if my amp's low res knob is working, vuz everything sounds the SAME no matter how low or high i put it.

NOTE" I see you use a B-52 AT-100, POOR MAN"S MESA TRIPLE FTW!
Low Res...

You should hear it and feel it. Start at zero, play a little, then crank it. If you don't hear or feel a difference, then you might want to check it out.

Listen carefully.
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Epiphone Embassy
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by gpowsang
NOTE" I see you use a B-52 AT-100, POOR MAN"S MESA TRIPLE FTW!

b-52's are not mesa's at all, trust me.

btw, i keep my contour at 4 and mids at 5 (first overdrive chan) bass at 3. Then i have low res at 5