if you changed ALL the electronics maybe. it depends how much you like basswood. It's *very* midrangy and it's a soft wood, so you'll have to be careful with it

otherwise, it's not a bad project bass for $270
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
is it very hard to mod a bass??
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
no, not really if you're good with a soldering gun (or even if you're not. I put some emg's into a project bass of mine and those worked out fine, even with no soldering experience. Then again, emg electronics come almost completely assembled, and you don't even have to solder a ground wire with them).
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
im ok with soldering... i have a gun... but if youve never owned a bass before, would it be hard to mod one??

never buy a squier!
help please

never buy a squier!
The problem with agathis (the body wood on that bass), is that it is, frankly, a crap wood, a cheap substitute for maple. It's not that it will completely destroy your tone if you use good pickups, etc, but you can get much better woods out for the same price range. also, it has no tone control, which I would find annoying. That said, the passive electronics will make it a lot easier to mod and you will have a lot more options with the PJ pickup configuration than with the J-MM on the Traben.

A good place to get for project bass bodies is SX Guitars. The electronics are complete crap, but so cheap its like you're not even paying for them. The tonewoods, on the other hand, are as good as any fender. If you get an SX, or any other company for that matter, try to get some kind of fender clone where the pickups and electronics are mounted on the pickguard. Trust me, this will really help when putting in new pickups
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by tbirds1013
is it very hard to mod a bass??

No, not at all.

I rewired the electronics on my squire pbass, changed the neck, the pickguard, professionally shielded it, etc, with absolutely no experience.
http://www.sxguitarspain.com/sx_pirate_bass.htm
so are you talking about something like this when it comes to the the pups mounted on the pickguard, where can you buy these basses adn how much do they cost, i dont like their website...

never buy a squier!
Quote by bman10030
No, not at all.

I rewired the electronics on my squire pbass, changed the neck, the pickguard, professionally shielded it, etc, with absolutely no experience.

is there a difficulty difference in modding a active or passive bass, is one harder than the other, i like the traben alot, and i want to maybe mod in the future, so im looking for good wood, and i like active electronics alot more then passive.

never buy a squier!
There are A LOT more electronics/wires involved with Active basses than Passive ones, it could be pretty overwhelming for someone who's never done a bass mod before.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by kugelspot
The problem with agathis (the body wood on that bass), is that it is, frankly, a crap wood, a cheap substitute for maple.

Okay, firstly - that's very wrong.

Secondly, TS, why, if you've never owned a bass before, do you want to buy it and then mod it straight away?

What's the point if you don't know how it sounds, how it plays?

And modding pickups is only worth it if you have a good amp. Good pickups through a good amp will sound good.

Good pickups through a bad amp will sound bad. Simple as that.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.