After about a year of playing and developing my own technique, I realized that i've developed a bad habit of using my THUMB to push down the pick against the string. I've watched others play and for the most part they don't do this.

My question is, silly as it may be, what exactly is the hand motion one should use to pick the strings? Should it be a wrist motion, a finger motion, or a subtle combination of both? Hopefully i've caught this habit early enough to reverse it.
if you watch yngwie malmsteen (who i think has the best picking technique hands down), he seems to do a combination of finger pushing and wrist. i'm nowhere near as good, but i've tried to switch my technique around in the past and using both kinds of movement have seemed to work best for me.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Just do what comes naturally. I tend to find that when picking lightly, I use more wrist than fingers; and when I'm digging in, I'll use more finger and thumb.
As long as you find yourself playing cleanly then you're okay
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
if you watch yngwie malmsteen (who i think has the best picking technique hands down), he seems to do a combination of finger pushing and wrist. i'm nowhere near as good, but i've tried to switch my technique around in the past and using both kinds of movement have seemed to work best for me.

Meh... there are better examples than Yngwie. I won't deny his technique seems to work, but I think there are better approaches.
TS: While your approach is uncommon, it's probably not bad. As long as it doesn't create tension in your playing it's fine. Develop it and see what you get.
I found I did the exact same thing. It's always nice to hear of someone else who was in your shoes. It's taken me about 6 months to get to where I am now, but it was worth it. The only way you can fix this is to start slowly again. And make sure your always using your wrist. Watching yourself play in a mirror is a great way. Hope you can get out of the habit man,

Gelato.
Not a huge fan of bees