I've got 2 questions

1. How are chords decided over a riff? For example, i've got a riff that has the following notes:
| GGGGGGGG E F#F#F# G F# | AAAA B DDD A DDD BB |

Now these notes fall in the scale of G major so what chords could be used over this riff?

2. If I were to solo over the same riff what would be the best to use?

G major scale (any combination of modes)???
Em pentatonic ???
G major pentatonic ???
Last edited by animesh_joshi at Sep 27, 2008,
I see chromatics, so I would suggest powerchords and some fast riffs in a minor mode.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
G6 or Gmaj7 and D6 or Bm7
Here lies a problem that most guitar players face in this day of internet tab and short attention spans — they don't know how to express themselves.

-Nick Layton
Start by playing chords on the downbeat, their root the same as the note played at that time. From there, fool around.

Your riff is in G major, so the appropriate scale to use would be the G major scale and G MAJOR (not minor) pentatonic.

However, you could play a chord on the downbeat where the note in the riff is the third of the chord. You would then be in Em; tjhe appropriate scales to play over than are E natural minor and E minor pentatonic/blues.

I would advise you not to play the note in the riff as the 5th of the chord on top; that would stick you in a D Mixolydian situation, and modal music is a pain to deal with, especially considering that I think this is a pop/punk song (I may be completely wrong and feel free to correct me, though I'm not using the term as an insult).

No, if you're in G major, you can't play C Lydian or any of the other modes (someone will say you can anyway, but they will be wrong).
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I think this is a pop/punk song (I may be completely wrong and feel free to correct me, though I'm not using the term as an insult).

Not pop/punk really. I'm trying to play this with a lot of gain and high treble/bass very low middle. My intention was to play it fast to make it sound Thrash etc.

Do you think this won't sound metal? What should be note selection and playing for metal style acc. to you? How can i change this riff to sound metal?

Please advice.
Quote by animesh_joshi
How can i change this riff to sound metal?
I can't hear it the way you do, but thrash is based on a lot of fast chugging on the E string. Analyze some early Metallica and Motorhead, as they are the basis of thrash.