Well, my band doesn't have a singer, but we need one, so we plan to put an ad around town. I'm thinking this ad should include our influences, what we're looking for from a singer (stage presence, things like that), and some contact info. Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!
1. Age
2 .Location
3. A little history of them
4. Influences
5. What they offer you
6. Musical experience
7. Gender
8. Anything they like to add for the band to know
how often they can practice.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Be specific. Identify who you are, and what your goals as a band are. Even include some of your philosophies behind what motivates you, what makes a good song, etc. - whatever might be relevant to you and your situation. Include what you have to offer the potential candidate.

In turn, be specific about what you are looking for, and what they need to be able to offer in return. Make sure that fits with the goals and philosophies of the band. Any serious player will balk at something that sounds contradictory.

Lemme see if I can find ours. It was a bit wordy, but our goal was to weed through and discourage anyone who we might not be interested in from even contacting us in the first place. That way, all we'd have left are the ones we might actually be interested in anyways.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Here it is....

Drums needed for melodic rock project with indie-label interest:

Style: The material is melody and guitar driven commercial rock. Think earlier Goo Goo Dolls, newer Treble Charger, etc. (or Nirvana meets Boston and The Pursuit of Happiness??!!)

Our goal: To complete a full-length CD in the summer of this year. The songs are already written, but may be added to if others are motivated to write. A USA-based indie label has already expressed interest in packaging, licensing and promoting the material. We're doing this mostly just for fun, and practice once a week.

Live work: Original bands have limited opportunities to play and even more limited opportunities to make money. I'd like to play about once a month, and focus energies on gigs that will help the profile of the band - NXNE, festivals, showcases, etc. Having the support of a label helps to facilitate this.

Looking for a drummer who:
-is easy to get along with and easy-going (no egos!)
-will like the material
-can learn material and practice it independently so it is ready when it is time to rehearse.
-will be able to provide backing vocals
-does not need to play for the money
-understands the buisiness aspect of being a band
-is a competent musician (should be a reasonably skilled player, but it's mostly straight-ahead rock - not Dream Theatre or anything...)

I have:
-an album's worth of material all written and demoed
-label interest
-an easy to get along with singer/guitarist, and bass player, and rhythm guitarist, all with experience and skill, who have spent the last six months or so getting tight
-a home studio capable of producing good quality recordings

Web references:
www.outdatedlink1 - a few demos of some of our material (ignore the recording quality of some of them...)
www.outdatedlink2
my former cover band's website - recent recordings made at my studio, improved vocals, too, from the above recordings

www.outdatedlink3
studio website

We'll be jamming again on Monday February 21 in the evening in downtown Hamilton.

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

*Paper hanging up in music shop*

LOOKING FOR SINGER, *PHONE NUMBER* CALL

They sometimes have the number on strips
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by shadesofanger

LOOKING FOR SINGER, *PHONE NUMBER* CALL

This is a perfect example of what you *don't* do.... especially when looking for the hard-to-find people.

As a singer, I would see an ad like this and not bother. Why not? Because as a half-decent singer, I know that I can have my pick of bands, because there are more bands than singers. This ad gives me no reason to call. What it does suggest is "we're too lazy to bother with a proper ad that actually gives you any information, so in return, we're hoping you're not too lazy to do all the work for us, so you can give us a call and we'll fill you in on the deets."

I would further think that any band with any credibility at all will be serious enough to take the time to go beyond a few pencil scratches on a piece of paper with some phone numbers tagged on.

Nope. Not callin. Given all this.... we probably have nothing in common. Not even worth taking the time to find out.

CT

i also suggest identifying specific personality traits such as, do you mind if they smoke? do drugs? etc. etc. if you don't mind about these things, don't bother putting it in the ad, but if u are strongly against such things as smoking or drugs the put in there somewhere that it is not permitted.

personally mine would have such things as:

we are against:
anything that is a crime (that includes drugs);
smoking;
excessive drinking;

then i would have things that the person must have.
personally mine would look like this:

applicants must:
be motivated;
have enough money to support them selves without the band;
be available to rehearse twice a week;
have all their own equipment;

there are more things that i would add to those lists but its too early in the morning and i cant think of anymore off the top of my head..
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?