Page 1 of 2
Ok, I'm sick of my bass strings going dead in like a day.

The Fender 3000 or w/es I put on my pbass died in a day.

The stock strings on my Dano 63' I just got sounded AMAZING, but died really quick too.

My problem is, what strings can I use to get that amazing tone and last for a while.
GHS Bass Boomers?

I'm not expert, but I heard they sound alright. They're what Flea use, I believe.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
If you're in Europe Stadium Elites
If you're not, Roto 66s...

And let the bandwagon roll outs begin!!!!

But seriously--both of those have decent staying power. But really, when it comes down to it, its going to be a case of personal preference.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Do you slap, tap or more into metal or jazz?
Also, Warwick steel strings (either Black label or EMP) are very good strings, though I mainly use them because they do a 5 string set with a 0.135 low B string, which I need for a 34" 5 stringer.

Still, they sound absolutely incredible, and I wouldn't give either Elites or Rotos a win on tone quality. I have tried all of them, and have yet to find one of the sets having a much better tone than the others, just differences.

As for durability, I have my current set of Warwick EMPs (which are slightly coated) on for 5 months and they still have plenty of life in them, although they are not as bright as they were new.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
the Eliuxir Nanowebs claim to have a longlife coating on them....i recommend Dean Markley Blue Steel they stay bright....i think the STEEL variety will last a long time

also theres this semi gimmicky product by ERNIE BALL, the king of strings that die quickly, some WONDER WIPES for wiping down your strings i dont like much the idea of gettin foreign cleaning liquids on my rosewood/neck so ive never tried em...

Personally and id highly suggest wiping your entire bass down with a lint free cloth,microfibre, including strings and fretboard after every play anyway this will greatly improve the lifespan of any strings...
Quote by gm jack
Also, Warwick steel strings (either Black label or EMP) are very good strings, though I mainly use them because they do a 5 string set with a 0.135 low B string, which I need for a 34" 5 stringer.

Do you find that you have to raise your action a little for the .135b?
roto 66/stadium elites
after using stadiums for a while theyre a very close match for each other
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Mayano
Do you find that you have to raise your action a little for the .135b?

Never had to, they came standard on the bass. However, I played a Fender 5 string jazz with a 0.130 B string, and it did feel a lot more lose. It still isn't particularly taught, but it is firm enough to play on.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I've been using Dean Markley Blue Steel on my fretted bass the last few string changes and they work a dream. Not a bad price (think it's about £25 for a 4 string set) and they've got some life in 'em too, not to mention killer tone. Bright but punchy even after being worn in.

I'd recommend 'em (:
Personally, I alternate between DR and Roto's.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by HATe410

also theres this semi gimmicky product by ERNIE BALL, the king of strings that die quickly, some WONDER WIPES for wiping down your strings i dont like much the idea of gettin foreign cleaning liquids on my rosewood/neck so ive never tried em...

I don't see anything gimmicky about Ernie ball strings.

I've had them(Power Slinkies 5 string) ever since I got my laguna (about a year ago), and they haven't shown any form of rust or wear at all. I also never wipe them down after playing daily, maybe once a month.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
See, I find that my old favourite strings suck on my Fender MIA Jazz because it's a string-thru body, so my new favourites are what my bass came with, Fender Super Bass 8250's.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by death.prog
I don't see anything gimmicky about Ernie ball strings.

I've had them(Power Slinkies 5 string) ever since I got my laguna (about a year ago), and they haven't shown any form of rust or wear at all. I also never wipe them down after playing daily, maybe once a month.

Yes, but they are most likely long dead.

And the gimmicky thing was the wonder wipes, not the strings.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Those wonder wipes are just another way for Ernie Ball to make bank.
Quote by breakdown123
I'm probably gonna get the Roto 66s.

I read their the ones Krist Novaselic uses.

Do they last long?

And I play everything from slap to finger to "tap" or w/e probably to pick.

Would those work for that?
Buy a fodera bass.
Its the only way.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
DR Lo Riders

Great for slap, picking, fingerstyle etc. Great feel and they last longer than Rotos and Ernie Balls (in my experience)
I've always used the DR Hi Beams, never the Lo Riders. I heard they're super stiff and a ***** to to them on.
Quote by breakdown123
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^Am I the only one who has found that a) Lo-riders don't last all that long and b) they feel really, really funny?

thats odd, maybe you got a bad set?

to me they sound and feel like ernie balls on steroids. I sometimes wonder if I got a bad set of rotos because they felt awful and didn't last but 2 weeks
Last edited by Miss G at Sep 28, 2008,
the local shop (closest to campus) doesn't have swing 66 in five string
"we don't order rotosounds in five. We could order you some, but you'd have to buy the whole gross." Jerk.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
the local shop (closest to campus) doesn't have swing 66 in five string
"we don't order rotosounds in five. We could order you some, but you'd have to buy the whole gross." Jerk.

Wow what an asshole. (Not you the guy)
Ernie Ball is what i use. I feel they providethe most balanced tone for my basses. Tryed DR Fat Beams and hated the b string and they died after a week or two. I am curious about elixer strings though, maybe try those and tell me how they are.
Quote by bman10030
Wow what an asshole. (Not you the guy)

I guess nobody has suggested that the shop carry them
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
For long term use, I get Swing 66's. For short term use I use Hybrid Slinkies.

Swing 66's last quite a while, I put them on like 6 weeks ago, still have a fair bit of growl, and still fairly bright.
Quote by lordofthefood1
I guess nobody has suggested that the shop carry them

I can see why not!

by the way, Rotos were made in the deepest cavern of Hell by the Angel of Death with the last remnants of the Tree of Knowledge as the forge's wood.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I can see why not!

by the way, Rotos were made in the deepest cavern of Hell by the Angel of Death with the last remnants of the Tree of Knowledge as the forge's wood.

wait, is that a good thing?

anyways... I've been using D'Addario nickel-wound 45-105s lately and they do good for me. they last fairly long as well.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate

anyways... I've been using D'Addario nickel-wound 45-105s lately and they do good for me. they last fairly long as well.

You need to get some Rotosounds. D'Addarios are okay, but Rotos are a whole other class.
I cannot stand D'addarios. :\
Quote by breakdown123
Any opinions on Elixers? I had them on a guitar but never heard anything about the bass stings.
Quote by P-Bass Pirate

yes. duh.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I use DR's, D'addarios and Rotos. Depends on the bass I string them on. I'm pleased with all three brands.
Quote by MattAC
Any opinions on Elixers? I had them on a guitar but never heard anything about the bass stings.

My Ibanez came with Elixirs and that same set is on my POS BC Rich. After 1 1/2 they still have that bright pop in them. However it's hardly played, the coating has peeled off where I play. They seriously last a long time, but they feel slippery. Kinda hard to describe but they are very smooth, to the point of having a soapy feeling.
Quote by breakdown123
I really like D'addarios for guitar and used them for years, but I have never been crazy about their bass strings for some reason.
Get, Dean Markly, Bass blasters, they work really good and don't die to quick
If you are one of the %10 of teen who doesn't follow Rap
and you follow PUNK, METAL AND HEAVY ROCK COPY AND PASTE THIS TOO YOUR SIGNATURE
Themastik infeldt(sp?) flat wounds are the best I've ever played on, on a Conklin with fanned frets.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I'm really Curious about the Rotosound 'Funk Master'(?) set

Its the one with a .30-.90 gauge

Anyone know much about them?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB

they're Rotos. obviously good quality. probably pretty thin, if that's your thing.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by ZaccB

I like them a lot and they may become my backup set when I can't get a hold of Elites. The Elites I use have the same gauge.

I am rather fond of a thinner gauge string and get a great slap sound out of them, but they are not for everyone and you will need to do a basic setup after putting them on.
Page 1 of 2