I hadn't even realized it but I do anchor, and I just happen to be in the same spot it sounds like you were in. I have been playing for a year and have good speed, but you know how guitarists always want better. I just tried playing with out doing it though and it felt clumsy moving from string to string, but on a single string it was a lot easier to pick. I'm gonna have to work on it. Thanks.
Quote by DavidWBand
I hadn't even realized it but I do anchor, and I just happen to be in the same spot it sounds like you were in. I have been playing for a year and have good speed, but you know how guitarists always want better. I just tried playing with out doing it though and it felt clumsy moving from string to string, but on a single string it was a lot easier to pick. I'm gonna have to work on it. Thanks.

Believe me for the first day or two it's hard as hell. Once you form a habit though, you'll improve so much in an hour or two of practice that you'll be ecstatic. I know I was. I just figured "Well it will increase with time, MAB does it.". While it may increase with time, just not anchoring speeds it up A LOT now.

Just be sure to start slow and try to pay attention to it, I still catch myself warming up anchoring sometimes when I first pick up my guitar.
Quote by edusty2010
Believe me for the first day or two it's hard as hell. Once you form a habit though, you'll improve so much in an hour or two of practice that you'll be ecstatic.

you're talking about picking right?

As much of a tool as MAB looks like I played a show with NITRO back in the mid 90's (maybe 1992?) and he and Jim Gillette were super nice.

I remember MAB was all sad because someone had stolen half of his guitar. And I was like How the F do you steal half a guitar?

Years later I saw the video for Freight Train and understood.

If you can get a copy of the Metal Method "Vocal Power with Jim Gillete" it is the funniest video of all time.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Sep 28, 2008,
Quote by SenorSmiley
you're talking about picking right?

As much of a tool as MAB looks like I played a show with NITRO back in the mid 90's (maybe 1992?) and he and Jim Gillette were super nice.

I remember MAB was all sad because someone had stolen half of his guitar. And I was like How the F do you steal half a guitar?

Years later I saw the video for Freight Train and understood.

If you can get a copy of the Metal Method "Vocal Power with Jim Gillete" it is the funniest video of all time.

Yes picking speed only here

And yeah MAB continues to look like a total tool haha, I use to really like him but then I was like, wait, it all sounds the same lol.
what exactly does "anchoring" mean? does it mean resting your picking hand near the bridge, or does it mean resting your fingers on the pickguard?
Quote by Metallica_Man55
what exactly does "anchoring" mean? does it mean resting your picking hand near the bridge, or does it mean resting your fingers on the pickguard?

It really just means the resting of any part of your hand or wrist on the guitar in the effort to stabilize your picking hand.
Don't worry about speed, it'll come naturally. If you try and force it, you'll **** up.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)